spc
uniqs

Immymortal
@cibc.com

Immymortal to fluffybunny

Anon

to fluffybunny

Re: Wireless Router Recommendation

I actually can't find the exact firmware for my piece of hardware. I have the Linksys E1000 v2 but Tomatousb has Linksys E1000 v1 under the compatibility list specified. What do? And also I'd love to get the RTN66U but that's out of my budget right now :/

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom

Premium Member

said by Immymortal :

Linksys E1000 v2 but Tomatousb has Linksys E1000 v1 under the compatibility list specified.

The difference appears to be BCM4716 in v1 and BCM5357 in v2. That's promising. Same details again at dd-wrt supported devices:
»dd-wrt.ca/wiki/index.php ··· g.2Fn.29

And a quick little google of "tomato e1000" reveals this:
RT-N branch

tomato-E1000v2-v21-NVRAM32K-1.28.0500.2MIPSR2Toastman-RT-N-Mini
»www.linksysinfo.org/inde ··· t-185931

So I'm pretty sure you'll be fine, but I do encourage you to do your own research to find the exact firmware file you need to use.

I'm not sure what to think of Wireless AC yet. I kind of doubt its value. N300 is a marketing gimmick--there isn't enough room in the 2.4GHz band anyway, so no point doubling the bandwidth. N600 seems to imply that the router is simultaneous dual band, which is a very important feature (not because of N600 though, so make sure to confirm simultaneous dual band before buying).
vincom
join:2009-03-06
Bolton, ON

vincom to Immymortal

to Immymortal
the older ASUS RT-N16 »www.newegg.ca/Product/Pr ··· 33320038 are affordable and you can flash tomato on it, tplinks are affordable and seem to work fine.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom

Premium Member

said by vincom:

the older ASUS RT-N16

They have a certain role. Very powerful in terms of CPU/memory/flash. General purpose users don't need that. Nice to have, of course, but not critical. Meanwhile they are not dual band, and dual band is huge for anybody living in a densely populated neighbourhood.
vincom
Bolton, ON

vincom

said by Teddy Boom:

said by vincom:

the older ASUS RT-N16

They have a certain role. Very powerful in terms of CPU/memory/flash. General purpose users don't need that. Nice to have, of course, but not critical. Meanwhile they are not dual band, and dual band is huge for anybody living in a densely populated neighbourhood.

a couple of sub $1oo dollar units with dual band
ASUS N600 RT-N53 $60 »www.newegg.ca/Product/Pr ··· 33320088
Linksys E2500-NP $70 »www.newegg.ca/Product/Pr ··· 33124490
vincom

1 edit

vincom

said by jmck:

for a $40-50 budget you might want to consider a TP-Link WDR3600, good wifi and supports dd-wrt/openwrt too.

i was just about to post that, TP-LINK TL-WDR3600 »www.newegg.ca/Product/Pr ··· 04144CVF

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck

it's even cheaper at Canada Computers, $54 or something.
vincom
Bolton, ON

vincom

said by jmck:

it's even cheaper at Canada Computers, $54 or something.

thats where i usully buy my stuff, i just ref newegg as it has more info and reviews