share rss forum feed

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium
join:2011-04-15
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:4

Challenge Modes - Advice, Tips, Suggestions

Not sure how many people have experience with challenge modes.

Taking a break from PvP and this seemed like a great alternative for the time being because gear scales down to ilevel 463 meaning Timeless Isle gear is sufficient which can be farmed in a matter of minutes.

Our comp consists of:

Prot Warrior
Disc Priest
Survival Hunter
Ele Shaman
Frost/Unholy DK

I'd love to get rid of the DK and replace with a ranged but that's not currently an option. However, the DK does provide a BR which could be clutch.

We have invis pots and lock cookies. Our buffs compliment each other without too much overlap.

Any insight/suggestion?

Tonight's challenge mode is Scarlet Halls.

Vinceruos

join:2011-05-04
Dumfries, VA
That is a really good comp. As long as you have 2 of the following classes/ specs you will be fine, Ele, hunter, mage, lock. And combo of those 2 will do. The other dps wont matter. I have done every CM on multiple toons so I could answer specific questions, but I am not really sure what you are looking for. As long as you guys know when to invis properly and are somewhat competant in playing your class you will be more than fine. They are all pretty easy overall. Remember the legendary meta/cloak proc doesnt work in CMs.

noone2000
Crunch On
Premium
join:2001-10-04
Haverhill, MA
reply to Snuffbox
Expect wipes, don't give up - Timeless gear probably isn't the best for them, gems slots are nice the more the better - they don't scale down.
Make sure you are hit and exp capped, it will feel odd at first getting used to the lower stats but knowing your class well will help. If the tank knows the fights it will be a plus for the first time but they will learn them quick.

It will take some time to get the flow of how to pull and CC's can be your friend. You don't take equip damage and can reset at any time. The damage taken is more then the heroics expect to spend time in them they aren't a 5 min run. Any combo should get to the bronze time without inv potions and such. I have all silvers and they took some time to get the right flow through and what adds can be passed we didn't use any extra potions other then flasks and feasts, and for the most part just our raid gear maybe changing a trinket. Beware of trinkets that proc adds-the bad juju one that summons gnomes was bad they would go and pull adds by trying to get behind the add you were killing. You have to kill a # of adds as well as the bosses to get them completed.

It is a challenge but if you use the same group each time you get used to where everyone is going and who CC's what you get better times.

I don't have too many pointers but after you run if you have questions I might be able to answer them. We will be working on gold times at some point, we try to do them with the same core group and times don't match often, but we got the mount and that was our goal - we will try to get the others in our guild the mount also.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium
Milwaukee, WI
reply to Vinceruos
Vince, anything specific for Scarlet Halls? For example would you feed the dogs or is it not worth doing and better to just AOE them down like the rest?

Again to be clear we're not trying to simply complete challenge modes, we expect gold in each.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium
Milwaukee, WI
reply to noone2000
said by noone2000:

Expect wipes

Hah, yep. Even have a macro to reset the CM.

said by noone2000:

Timeless gear probably isn't the best for them

I saw that. There's a site that shows how the gear will scale down. We thankfully have almost entirely 528+ gear, I mentioned Timeless mostly to encourage others that are interested in switching from PvP and the ease of gearing. But I completely agree.

said by noone2000:

gems slots are nice the more the better - they don't scale down.

Thanks, this is good to know.

said by noone2000:

It is a challenge but if you use the same group each time you get used to where everyone is going and who CC's what you get better times.

It's my same group of guys, we're all in skype together and have played together for years. So that should help. I expect it to be mostly a matter of learning which trash to skip and how large to pull. But I have learned of several shortcuts that we hope to implement.

Carpie

join:2012-10-19
united state
kudos:5
reply to Snuffbox
said by Snuffbox:

feed the dogs or is it not worth doing

I've only been in challenge dungeons a couple times so am not the most experienced to answer this but I know one thing, trash will eat your lunch. That being said, and since they are timed runs, I can't possibly see how killing the trash would be better than feeding the dogs. At minimum it would be valuable lost time.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium
Milwaukee, WI
Essentially because feeding the dogs requires stoppng and waiting for them to eat. It's not long, but neither is killing a couple additional mobs when virtually 100% of challenge modes is AOE until you get to the boss fights. So this one's a coin flip and I'm not sure which is better.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium
Milwaukee, WI

1 edit
For anyone that may have read this - feeding the dogs is absolutely necessary.

Our biggest hiccup was occasionally the food would despawn in our inventory after looting it.

There are three buckets in each location and two pats to feed. After feeding the first pat often the other party members with a bucket would despawn.

We don't know yet if you only have the food for a short amount of time OR if the other dogs chained to the wall consume a bucket if you get hit by them (which is practically unavoidable even if you touch the wall on the opposite side).

We got silver last night, 1.5 minutes short of gold. We should have gold on our next attempt - Our dps was far higher then that of guilds like Aftermath but felt squishy so our plan is to itemize a bit more defensively giving up some DPS in the process.

Carpie

united state
reply to Snuffbox
Challenge Mode End of Season Early Warning
World of Warcraft -

Countless adventurers continue to brave the most trying versions of Mists of Pandaria dungeons, but the clock is ticking. This “season” of Challenge Modes will be coming to an end with the upcoming release of a patch prior to the expansion’s release.

Challenge Modes are designed to offer as close to a “normalized” difficulty as possible, and they’re tuned to be tough to master. With Warlords of Draenor’s class changes, itemization changes (e.g. the removal of Hit and Expertise), and—of course—increased level cap on the horizon, the difficulty of Mists of Pandaria’s dungeons will no longer be tuned the same as they were. In the spirit of fair play, when the aforementioned patch is released a little while before the new expansion launches, the current slate of Challenge Mode dungeons will no longer be available, and the achievements they award will be converted to Feats of Strength. The reward items will still be available for purchase by those who qualified prior to the end of the season, but it will not be possible for new players to earn those rewards going forward.

If you still need to earn your Undaunted title, Ancestral Phoenix, or class-specific Transmogrification sets, now’s the time to get out there and prove your worth. In Warlords of Draenor, an entirely new set of Challenge Modes will be available . . . and with them an array of new rewards for you to earn. Until then, stay sharp!

--
www.Absölution.com
Absolution -- MSV: 6/6 0/6H -- HoF: 4/6 -- ToES: 4/4 -- ToT: 12/12 -- SoO: 14/14F 13/14

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium
Milwaukee, WI
Thanks Carpie.

When are we expecting this supposed patch?

Vinceruos

Dumfries, VA
reply to Snuffbox
Yea sorry for not respondong earlier. I was gonna say, yea, you have to feed the dogs. Lol

Vinceruos

Dumfries, VA
reply to Snuffbox
I am actually trying to get the CM set on my lock. If you guys have room I would like to run with you all. I could provide insight to most of them.

Carpie

united state
reply to Snuffbox
said by Snuffbox:

When are we expecting this supposed patch?

Hasn't been announced yet but it sounds like we are getting close.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium
Milwaukee, WI
reply to Vinceruos
We actually expect to have a spot to fill and would love a Warlock. Currently we're only doing it 1 day a week, 9:30 Central Wednesday nights. Toss me your battle tag if you can make those times.

We may have to bump the frequency up if Carpie is correct in that the CM's will be ending soon.

Vinceruos

Dumfries, VA
Tues/wed/thur is not really good for me since those are my raid days. Any days other than those I am free. Preferably on weekends. And the patch that is getting rid of the CMs is the pre-expac patch. It wont happen until about 3 weeks before the expac release. You stil lhave plenty of time. My guess would be Jun.

Carpie

united state
Your thoughts are that patch 5.4.7 is not the "pre-expac patch"?

cat666

join:2013-04-26
said by Carpie:

Your thoughts are that patch 5.4.7 is not the "pre-expac patch"?

It isn't. It's the new PVP season patch. They won't release a new PVP season then launch WoD a week or so later.

The fact we have a new PVP season at all makes appear that WoD is still a way off, I'm gussing July.

Vinceruos

Dumfries, VA
reply to Snuffbox
What cat said. This coming patch is just the new arena season patch. They wouldnt say that they are taking away the CM gear with only a weeks notice :P

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium
Milwaukee, WI
That was my impression. I told my guys we had several months. But I hadn't been following as closely as I used to so I wasn't sure.

Rhenai

join:2010-09-07
Elkhorn, NE
kudos:1
reply to Snuffbox
Here's a tip for you

Don't plan on doing this tonight. Your wife/girlfriend/significant other may not be as forgiving as you hope they will be! Instead, spend time worshiping that other wordly boss, otherwise known as St. Valentine
--
"Amor Fati" Love Your Fate, which is in fact your life

Carpie

united state
But... but... but.... the warcraft bosses have better loot!

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium
Milwaukee, WI
reply to Rhenai
Rhenai lives!

My wife does not like WoW or computer games in general unfortunately.

No gaming tonight.

cat666

join:2013-04-26
said by Snuffbox:

No gaming tonight.

Consider yourself lucky it's only one night.

One of the missus' friends decided valentines day would be the perfect day to get married so instead of doing valentines day on valentines day I had to go to a wedding reception, then do valentines day on the 15th.

qualitybobby
Premium
join:2009-12-29
Middleville, NY
St.Valentine melee swing crits for 2431k (1853k overkill).

Mordred

join:2013-01-02
reply to Snuffbox
Should of called for an external cool down with one of your own on that hit.