how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Mikomi

join:2013-12-09
Parksville, BC

Finally Optik 50!

Very happy was bored at work today so I checked my address and Optik 50 was now showing as available!

Tech coming on Sunday to run my second line and to up my RV from 2hd/1sd to 3hd/1sd

So very happy to finally be able to run my mine craft server well and have some decent internet speeds from Optik 15

Will let you all know how it goes!

jtl999
CEO of Actiontec Dev Team

join:2012-11-24
In the GVRD
kudos:4
Great! The biggest difference for me was being able to stream on twitch.tv in 720p. Was on Shaw BB50. I bet I could stream in 1080p with a better computer. Hopefully next summer.
--
Telus 50/10 V2000H+E2000 WAP

FRr

@65.94.131.x
reply to Mikomi
I guess you know friend that Telus has not FTTH only FTTN .. Right!

hasfibre

@telus.net
except for the fact that they *DO* have FTTH... as I have fibre cable going into my house

but don't let that stop your random, incorrect comment

Mikomi

Parksville, BC
reply to FRr
said by FRr :

What? Lol...

I clearly stated a second line coming into my house. Therefor I am getting loop bonding. And I am more then happy with that!

Otherwise I would be paying shaw for 100/5 and probably not actually get 100 down and have half the up stream. And upstream is where its at for me. So the 50/10 is much more satisfying.

Not to mention TELUS has full Cities that are FTTH How many full citys even have shaws 250 service?

Tornado15550

join:2012-12-16
Canada
reply to FRr
said by FRr :

You are wrong. I have FTTH.
Expand your moderator at work

Mikomi

Parksville, BC
reply to Mikomi

Re: Finally Optik 50!

Welp, Looks like the tech wont be here this weekend. Customer service booked the appointment for the 15th when I told them to do it on sunday. And now it has gone and screwed the whole thing up.

Waiting for a call back to get a date setup :/ Did offer me a discount though so that's nice I suppose.

But I'm pretty sure I have been switched to the new ports though, as my internet went down an hour before the tech called me(At this point I was at work...) So I'm sure its just a matter of terminating the second pair coming into my apt. I could probably just do it my self. But then would need a profile change.

Well Hopefully I can get it done by monday...

Mikomi

Parksville, BC
reply to Mikomi

Alright Got someone coming on Monday and a pretty decent discount. I'm happy

Mikomi

Parksville, BC

Installer showed up 3 hours early and finished 1.5 hours before arrival time.

Pings are down from 32 on my ADSL Port

Constantly pushing 51-52 down and 11-12 up

Symtex

join:2005-04-06
Burnaby, BC
kudos:21
said by Mikomi:

Installer showed up 3 hours early and finished 1.5 hours before arrival time.

Pings are down from 32 on my ADSL Port

Constantly pushing 51-52 down and 11-12 up

I am happy to see this.
--
I may work for, but do not necessarily represent the views and beliefs of TELUS Communications.

Nas1

join:2011-10-05
Camrose, AB
reply to Mikomi

That's awesome Mikomi! It's funny you went from 15 to 50 and I went from 50 to 15 lol.

vowelguy

join:2014-02-18
reply to Mikomi
Sweet! I'm getting my Telus 50 tomorrow hopefully! (Got it booked and everything)
Hopefully it'll be better than what we're using at home (Shaw "High Speed" 25 - which I only get 12-13 most of the time >:| ) and if it is as I am hoping it would be, we would switch our other internet line to Telus instead!

Tornado15550

join:2012-12-16
Canada
Reviews:
·TELUS
reply to Nas1
said by Nas1:

That's awesome Mikomi! It's funny you went from 15 to 50 and I went from 50 to 15 lol.

Why did you downgrade, if you don't mind me asking.

Nas1

Camrose, AB
Didn't want too, just moved to a brand new house and the copper loop length is obviously horrendous. Max rate attainable is 26mbps, there is a fiber drop here too but they haven't dropped the GPON box yet. Hoping it's this spring or summer. With that said 15 will suit my needs for the time being, I'm more disappointed that I couldn't have optic tv.

Nas1

Camrose, AB
Forgot to ask, does telus bond for optic 25? I know they do it for 50 as I had that at my old location, just not sure about the lower tiers?

Mikomi

Parksville, BC
reply to Nas1
said by Nas1:

I suppose Balance has to be restored somehow :P

I kid hopefully you can get some better speeds soon.

As far as I know there are no plans to bond to get 25 and TV although I think that was originally the plan, But if I where to take a guess would be it would use up to many ports to get people bonded for 15 and 25 speeds. Not sure though.

But at least you should have GPON soon. I would be super jealous of that. I live 5 mins from Qualicum beach that is more or less 100% GPON. If only...

@Symtex: Thanks, For yours and everyones help!

On another note, wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of getting a new router set up. I was happy with the V1000h (Other than port forwarding and nat issues from time to time) But it was manageable on the 15/1 package. Now on the optik 50, the v2000h is still okay. But I live in an apartment, and the 2.4 Ghz band is pretty congested and I can only get 20-33 down on WiFi and 11 up still.
The only thing on the 5ghz band is my Optik AP for my wireless box.

Do you guess think I could get batter speeds moving to a 5ghz router. is the speed difference going to be a big enough factor to bother with bridging and such.

Would make having my port forwarding and xbox run better though so could be good.

I was thinking of something by ASUS in the $100-150 range. What do you guys think. Range of the WFi doesn't matter even with the V2000 I get good signal in every corner of my apartment. But the speeds are disappointing. I know it wont be as good as my gaming rig that's hooked up thru gigabit cat6

Darhole
Premium
join:2005-06-14
Edmonton, AB
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TELUS
said by Mikomi:

said by Nas1:

I suppose Balance has to be restored somehow :P

I kid hopefully you can get some better speeds soon.

As far as I know there are no plans to bond to get 25 and TV although I think that was originally the plan, But if I where to take a guess would be it would use up to many ports to get people bonded for 15 and 25 speeds. Not sure though.

But at least you should have GPON soon. I would be super jealous of that. I live 5 mins from Qualicum beach that is more or less 100% GPON. If only...

@Symtex: Thanks, For yours and everyones help!

On another note, wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of getting a new router set up. I was happy with the V1000h (Other than port forwarding and nat issues from time to time) But it was manageable on the 15/1 package. Now on the optik 50, the v2000h is still okay. But I live in an apartment, and the 2.4 Ghz band is pretty congested and I can only get 20-33 down on WiFi and 11 up still.
The only thing on the 5ghz band is my Optik AP for my wireless box.

Do you guess think I could get batter speeds moving to a 5ghz router. is the speed difference going to be a big enough factor to bother with bridging and such.

Would make having my port forwarding and xbox run better though so could be good.

I was thinking of something by ASUS in the $100-150 range. What do you guys think. Range of the WFi doesn't matter even with the V2000 I get good signal in every corner of my apartment. But the speeds are disappointing. I know it wont be as good as my gaming rig that's hooked up thru gigabit cat6

I replaced all the WLAN cards in the laptops which were 2.4 only in the house and bridged to an Asus 65U.

I own a condo and 2.4ghz was almost unusable. 5ghz im getting 52/11 zero stability issues. Only 2 telus wireless boxes nearby so far and plenty of frequencies to choose from.

I'll send you some info on how to bridge the new firmware.

Recommend strongly the 66U which is in that price range. the IPTV setup for it is great too, tho I just use the actiontech to handle that part (works even bridged)

edit: I should mention I tested for a week without bridging and just using a DMZ on the routers IP. Encountered zero issues, so there is that way too if you aren't a purist with bridging.

jtl999

In the GVRD
Can we trust him? lol

jtl999

In the GVRD
reply to Darhole
Can't you just wait for me to discover the new root password in 100.x firmware?
--
Telus 50/10 V2000H+E2000 WAP