join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY

[Business] Comcast plans to acquire Time Warner Cable in $45.2 billion deal

»www.baltimoresun.com/business/sn···75.story

oneoone

join:2010-01-20
Lagrange, GA
kudos:1

FCC will not allow this. Too big of a monopoly.

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS

said by oneoone:

Dont be so sure. Looks like they agree to dump 3 million of their own subscribers to make it happen.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

YukonHawk

Patterson, NY

I suspect if they dump 3 million people they'll be in unprofitable markets.

mackey

join:2007-08-20
kudos:6

1 recommendation

reply to oneoone

said by oneoone:

Too big of a monopoly.

Really? How many people/towns are in areas which have both companies serving them?

/M

Streetlight

join:2005-11-07
Colorado Springs, CO
reply to oneoone

said by oneoone:

This may be a Federal Trade Commission situation, though both should have some decision making authority.

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
reply to YukonHawk

what will this do to the channel options?
Had this in the cable tv board but it was merged here for some reason.

AVonGauss
Premium
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL
reply to oneoone

said by oneoone:

It's likely a done deal. If Time Warner was still in a healthy position, it would be a different matter, but they haven't been for quite a while now.

Asom

@everestkc.net

Means the whole KC area finally gets Comcast,Google TV and Surewestkc TWCSP channels or what ever name it's going to be and Comcast in Orlando carry CFNEWS13.

Coelispex

join:2013-06-03
Wilmette, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to oneoone

said by oneoone:

"The all-stock deal was approved by the boards of both companies. It is expected to close by the end of the year, pending shareholder and regulatory approvals."

Kasoah

join:2013-08-20

There's a lot more detail on this on reddit

»pay.reddit.com/r/news/comments/1···ck_deal/

Sounds delightful

YukonHawk

Patterson, NY

1 edit
reply to mikedz4

Since CC is already a behemoth, it's going to get harder now for them to get out of their own way for better customer service and innovation! Let's hope not though.

AnClar
Premium
join:2003-07-31
Belton, TX
reply to YukonHawk

TWC hostage...erm, customer here...just wanted to say hi and get a leg up on all the synergistic suck that looms on the horizon for all of us!

Let us now recall our grade school math: -1 + -1 = ?
--
When in danger or in doubt run in circles, scream and shout!

AMDUSER
Premium
join:2003-05-28
Earth,

It would not surprise me if Comcast sold off the 3 million customers to Charter...
Largely, some of the rural and not so rural areas including Milwaukee, and Green Bay.

MDA

join:2013-09-10
Minneapolis, MN
Reviews:
·Comcast

3 edits
reply to YukonHawk

Whatever happens, someone needs to buy TWC. Even though they moved out of Minnesota in 2003, I have a friend in Shawnee, Kansas that I have told to switch to Comcast or move 50 miles to Kansas City where he could get Goog fib.

Playing games with him hosting, shows evidence that Time Warner clearly has lost complete control of their routing and the latency is always bad. Even though he's got 8 downstream channel bonding, the upload channel he has is a mere 16 QAM 2,560 ksyms that he says once a week his modem also loses signal (its an arris TG862) with acceptable power levels.

I think Cox or Charter could benefit from the sale. As a gamer its hard to pick the fiber side or the cable side who has a bigger backbone. Having a 1.5mb connection with a big backbone is more stable than a fast connection on a local carrier exchange.

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:3
reply to YukonHawk

Comcast says that the merger with Time Warner Cable is "pro-consumer, pro-competitive, strongly in the public interest, and approvable," so what's everybody's problem with that?

Comcast Pitches Public-Interest Benefits Of Time Warner Cable Meld
Emphasizes Extension of Net Neutrality Conditions and Speeding High-Speed Broadband Deployment

By John Eggerton, Multichannel News - February 13, 2014
»www.multichannel.com/distributio···d/148284

AnClar
Premium
join:2003-07-31
Belton, TX

said by telcodad:

Comcast says that the merger with Time Warner Cable is "pro-consumer, pro-competitive, strongly in the public interest, and approvable," so what's everybody's problem with that?

Comcast Pitches Public-Interest Benefits Of Time Warner Cable Meld
Emphasizes Extension of Net Neutrality Conditions and Speeding High-Speed Broadband Deployment

Thanks so much for this post! I needed a major good laugh this morning and this provided it! :-D
--
When in danger or in doubt run in circles, scream and shout!

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:3
reply to AMDUSER

said by AMDUSER:

It would not surprise me if Comcast sold off the 3 million customers to Charter...
Largely, some of the rural and not so rural areas including Milwaukee, and Green Bay.

would make sense heck even Kansas City could be sold to Charter including the systems Comcast owns in the KC metro to Charter as Charter practically has a grip on Missouri. Nebraska would be a good fit for Charter considering they are already in the Lincoln Market and not to mention operating wise TWC Lincoln and TWC KC have been operated out of KC for a while. I could see the rural Alabama markets going to Charter as well as there are some overlaps with Charter and TWC and Comcast in those areas. I don't see TWC selling off any of Texas due to the fact that CSN Houston would gain 2 million subscribers for baseball season (Astros) if they picked up the entire state and that channel is struggling so they need it.
Expand your moderator at work

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to oneoone

Re: [Business] Comcast plans to acquire Time Warner Cable in $45.2 billion deal

said by oneoone:

»finance.fortune.cnn.com/2014/02/···-merger/

jack b
Gone Fishing
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod
reply to YukonHawk

So, what are the odds that the one of the feds will grow some hair where the sun don't shine and declare broadband internet an essential service, AKA utility?

And if that were to happen, what impact might that have on this pending buyout?
--
~Help Find a Cure for Cancer~
~Proud Member of Team Discovery ~

why60loss

join:2012-09-20
reply to YukonHawk

Well I will be glad due to being in the state of NC.

camper
Premium
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT
reply to YukonHawk

This is excellent news!

A larger Comcast will have more of the efficiencies of scale, and all our monthly cable charges will then decrease.

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA
reply to why60loss

Comcast will be of use to NC customers, that's for sure.

As for the rest of us. Fingers crossed something good comes out of it.
--
»www.VAJeeps.com | »www.APetForum.com

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:9

1 recommendation

reply to camper

Well, we know that TWC customers will benefit considering their tier offerings are not up to par with Comcast's.

Rich

@comcast.net
reply to camper

Ummm, less competition means higher prices!!!

AVonGauss
Premium
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

1 recommendation

reply to camper

said by camper:

This is excellent news!

A larger Comcast will have more of the efficiencies of scale, and all our monthly cable charges will then decrease.

I'm impressed, I don't think I would have been able to type that and hit the Post button before dying of laughter...

mikedz4

Weirton, WV
reply to Asom

Comcast will divest Orlando and florida to bright house networks. Would make more sense to sell the florida systems to bright house in my opinion.

mikedz4

Weirton, WV
reply to motorola870

like I posted above Comcast could sell it's florida systems to bright house. Sell Wisconsin systems to charter, sell Kansas systems to cox maybe even Missouri systems to cox.

mikedz4

Weirton, WV
reply to Rich

thing is time warner doesn't compete with Comcast. Fact is very little cable companies compete with one another unless one is an overbuilder.