uniqs

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870 to 54761437

to 54761437

Re: Comcast to acquire TW...

said by 54761437:

His contention is that prices are *lower* with TWC? Don't make me laugh. TWC's promo Internet rates are ridiculous--$55 a month for paltry 30/5 service? Bullshit. Comcast always has better promo pricing than TWC, and their off-promo rates are probably lower, too. I, for one, don't care about TV so whether that's better or worse on Comcast is a moot point for me. The question is whether Comcast can or will improve infrastructure and pricing models in ex-TWC areas.

yeah but coming from a former Comcast market we had our prices drop when TWC took over from Comcast when the Adelphia deal went through.
rdsport323
join:2001-05-28
Irvine, CA

1 recommendation

rdsport323 to swintec

to swintec
I hope they dont get rid of the TWC TV apps for samsung smart tvs and xboxes... Those two things are saving me from having to rent stupid cable boxes.
Satch
join:2009-11-25

2 recommendations

Satch

Good article on Internet Broadband caps. As of May 2012, it says Comcast raised the limit to 300GB's of download per month and now they don't enforce it.

How much data would that be considering movies and streaming?

»gigaom.com/2012/10/01/da ··· s-chart/

Satch

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870 to rdsport323

to rdsport323
said by rdsport323:

I hope they dont get rid of the TWC TV apps for samsung smart tvs and xboxes... Those two things are saving me from having to rent stupid cable boxes.

hmm they have to have something planned because I have a feeling contractual agreements with programmers are going to come into play and I have a feeling that TWC contracts will be honored and probably amended to all Comcast to pay the same rate along with Comcast contracts being amended for TWC areas so that the could get the best deal meaning that since they are gaining startover and lookback that almost means that TWC contracts are going to be honored because Comcast doesn't have startover rights in their contract language.
Satch
join:2009-11-25

1 recommendation

Satch

Based on early reports,

Is this a takeover by Comcast or a merger between Comcast/TWC? That is what I am trying to find out.

Satch

Farber
@verizon.net

Farber

Anon

Satch every article and news report is comcast to acquire twc. Or Comcast buys out twc. So it's not a merger. Even if it was merger, comcast management and name will be used. Twc is still licensing their name from former parent company TW which will be phased out.

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870 to Satch

to Satch
l
said by Satch:

Based on early reports,

Is this a takeover by Comcast or a merger between Comcast/TWC? That is what I am trying to find out.

Satch

looks like both as TWC is giving Comcast their proprietary services such as Start Over and lookback as a part of the deal to carry on to Comcast. Plus TWC shareholders will have a 23% stake in Comcast so at first TWC shareholders will have some stake in the company but that is totally different from another major company having 25% stake in company B.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to Satch

Premium Member

to Satch
That was an interesting article. Thanks. I didn't know Cox had a cap or what it was or Charter's.

I don't stream Netflix or Hulu. I watch some youtube videos but not many. I don't download movies either. I do have Sam Knows. I've been a participant for four years now ...maybe longer. Net Meter says that this Win 8 computer used 140GB download in January. That's got to be mostly Sam Knows tests. Until about a week ago, I had a second computer on the network, an XP Pro one, but I can't see Net Meter on it because it won't boot. But add say 50GB download on it and that's 200GB about for just surfing the net mostly and being an FCC participant in the broadband tests. However, January might not be representative for me because I streamed, for the first time ever, an episode of an NBC favorite drama that I had missed, off their website. December shows 118GB download and there was no streaming except a few you tube videos.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew

Premium Member

said by Mele20:

Net Meter says that this Win 8 computer used 140GB download in January. That's got to be mostly Sam Knows tests.

How does Net Meter track the Sam Knows bandwidth usage when those tests are done on the TP-Link unit, not on your PC? Does it pull stats from your router WAN port?
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

I don't use the TP-Link. I use the NetGear that SK sent out originally. Netgear's Traffic Meter shows about the same usage and wouldn't it include the tests?
Ramadear
join:2003-03-19
Cleveland, OH

Ramadear to Satch

to Satch
Interesting article Satch, thanks!

I didn't know At&t had a bandwidth cap.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

1 recommendation

antdude to swintec

Premium Member

to swintec

Next Media Animation (NMA)'s video!

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· BzxnOBDw

Ha, a Valentine 2014 gift from Comcast. :P
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

That's funny!

why60loss
Premium Member
join:2012-09-20

why60loss to Anonymous_

Premium Member

to Anonymous_

Re: Comcast to acquire TW...

said by Anonymous_:

I all ready told you guys on the 9th...

»TWC Sold to comcast? (mod edit: NO!)

I have access to a DeLorean time machine. that this how I knew..

lol

I had a feeling that Comcast was going to just go for it, but I didn't have any proof.

I feel like the only one who is glad. Guess that's because I have had both and had way better dealings with Comcast.

One place in VA and one in NC. So I had used both in markets that they are your only choice.

kilrathi
Premium Member
join:2005-04-22
Rockaway Park, NY

kilrathi to swintec

Premium Member

to swintec
Comcast had to give something to get this done and so expect for them to make that up with higher prices. Yes you can say no way but wait a year and see.
bookertdub
join:2012-10-08
San Diego, CA
·Charter

bookertdub to 46436203

to 46436203
I'm not exactly stoked about Comcast buying TWC out for a variety of reasons, but if you're that worried about caps and overages, couldn't you get their basic their business class service with a 16Mbps down/3Mbps upload with unlimited data for about $70/mo?

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

1 recommendation

Johkal to antdude

MVM

to antdude
said by antdude:

said by DannyZ:

I really miss the old Adelphia forum

I miss the old users like MacLeech, Hobgoblin (oh wait, he's still here!), etc.

Never thought the Adelphia transplants would ever be reunited. Should be interesting.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by Johkal:

said by antdude:

said by DannyZ:

I really miss the old Adelphia forum

I miss the old users like MacLeech, Hobgoblin (oh wait, he's still here!), etc.

Never thought the Adelphia transplants would ever be reunited. Should be interesting.

:)

Rick4769
join:2012-11-21
Buffalo, NY

Rick4769 to swintec

to swintec
Read this in the LA Times.

»www.latimes.com/opinion/ ··· tL0GA0vo

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

1 recommendation

hobgoblin to Johkal

Premium Member

to Johkal
said by Johkal:

Never thought the Adelphia transplants would ever be reunited. Should be interesting

How are you cat?

Hob

why60loss
Premium Member
join:2012-09-20

why60loss to Rick4769

Premium Member

to Rick4769
said by Rick4769:

Read this in the LA Times.

»www.latimes.com/opinion/ ··· tL0GA0vo

NY and LA are just mad because they got the red carpet from Time warner cable. while us here have to suffer though many months of this:

Before TWC even thinks about fixing it.

If it would have been up to TWC we would have a 40-50gb cap.
Time warner cable had it's spot light and now it's dead because it didn't upgrade. That's the free market for once working the way it should. Sick of the government baby sitting big fat old worn out business's that can't compete due to outdated tech.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal to hobgoblin

MVM

to hobgoblin
Doing good bud! We need a beer thread!

Cheese
Premium Member
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

Cheese to swintec

Premium Member

to swintec
Fuzzy math on my part, but how is 45billion more than 61 billion?

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

said by Cheese:

Fuzzy math on my part, but how is 45billion more than 61 billion?

I thought of that after i posted but i think it came down to the amount per share that Comcast offered versus Charter. On the surface, if Charter offered only $130 per share and Comcast offers $159 then comcasts deal is "greater"....but i dont know why the difference in the two figures showing the opposite. Charter offered something else? I dont really know.

Cheese
Premium Member
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

Cheese

Premium Member

No idea either

kilrathi
Premium Member
Rockaway Park, NY

kilrathi to swintec

Premium Member

to swintec
why60loss, any other customers in area have this? because this kind of loss would make twc phone not work, internet bascially not work much, and i suspect this loss is mostly upstream. If its something thats caused by some bad electric interference or device in area locally then just because comcast takes over nothing will really change. Again this is quite extreme amount of %, are you sure the packet loss occurs on your end and not only on certain route? Have you did the quality line tool test on dslreports can you point us to a result?

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal

2 recommendations

DocDrew to Johkal

Premium Member

to Johkal
Don't forget to invite me...

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

1 recommendation

hobgoblin

Premium Member

said by DocDrew:

Don't forget to invite me...

Your Invited!

Hob
recrum
join:2002-09-10
Akron, OH

recrum to swintec

to swintec
I've had TW for years and I have had great service...but I am certainly not going to complain about joining Comcast. I'll end up saving money AND end up with the technology I've wished for years Time Warner had.

kilrathi
Premium Member
Rockaway Park, NY

kilrathi

Premium Member

said by recrum:

I've had TW for years and I have had great service...but I am certainly not going to complain about joining Comcast. I'll end up saving money AND end up with the technology I've wished for years Time Warner had.

care to share some evidence or reasons for this?

There is some evidence contrary to what you suggesting, for example comcast ranks at the bottom of the isp list on netflix isp rankings while twc ranks near the top, once comcast takes charge its likely customers using netflix a lot may see degraded performance. Google and you will find many stories and articles describing how comcast actually throttle netflix for many customers.

Further, Comcast does have caps and while many will point out they are not really enforced Comcast does HAVE the caps and charges extra money for those that go above them, with new higher speeds they will be tempted to actually enforce them, while twc had no caps at all. So in the end customers right there maybe paying more.

I would like to know your reasons for saying that twc customer being taken over by comcast will actually save money and end up with better technology. Based on evidence and data one can find online its actually opposite.