Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

recrum

join:2002-09-10
Akron, OH
reply to kilrathi

Re: Comcast to acquire TW...

Really? You do realize it is still going to be the same "pipes" as was used by TWC, right? I had a good strong connection with TWC so whatever name is slapped on it I still will. And I have family in PA that have better bundles that I do yet pay half of what I do. Even with caps and being charged if I go over it still wouldn't be near what I pay now. And tech? TWC whole house DVR implementation isn't exactly cutting edge. Nothing about their STB or any of their hardware is.

You asked for MY reasons, and there they are. Sure they wouldn't apply to everyone, how could they. But for me... hell yeah I'll be more than happy to get more for my money.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:9
reply to swintec

For info. concerning Comcast's usage caps, please review: »Comcast High Speed Internet FAQ »What XFINITY Internet Data Usage Plans will Comcast be Launching?

kilrathi
Premium
join:2005-04-22
Rockaway Park, NY
reply to swintec

recrum, saying the pipes used will be same is not a reason or evidence, so what if the pipes used or lines are same, comcast will be in charge and they have bad track record when it comes to main internet traffic such as netflix where they throttle it, so what will stop them from doing same on old twc pipes? tell me.

spdickey

join:2002-11-17
Pacific Palisades, CA
reply to swintec

Comcast Outlines Tech 'Playbook' For TWC

From Multichannel News

Says All-Digital Upgrades, Faster Broadband Speeds, Expansion Of X1 Platform Will Be In Store

The specifics will come later of course, but Comcast said it already has a pretty good sense of the technology playbook it will put into action if and when its proposed $45.2 billion acquisition of Time Warner Cable is successful.

That playbook will look a lot like the one Comcast has been pulling off, meaning an emphasis on all-digital upgrades, faster broadband speeds, more deployments of Wi-Fi, access to a growing video-on-demand library, and the expansion of its cloud-fed X1 platform, which, in Boston, recently added a cloud DVR component and apps that enable in-home streaming of Comcast's full TV lineup to PCs, tablets and smartphones.

»www.multichannel.com/distributio···c/148288

kilrathi
Premium
join:2005-04-22
Rockaway Park, NY
reply to Johkal

Re: Comcast to acquire TW...

so those that were upgraded for free from 50 to 100 should be under 105 plan with comcast and the caps corresponding for it right?

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley

Yes & no. Only the markets where they are trialing the tiered caps with an overage charge will see the correct caps when getting the 50 to 105 upgrade. All other markets have the suspended caps whether getting the upgrade or not.

why60loss

join:2012-09-20
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Wireless..
·CenturyLink
·AT&T Wireless Br..

1 edit

said by Johkal:

Yes & no. Only the markets where they are trialing the tiered caps with an overage charge will see the correct caps when getting the 50 to 105 upgrade. All other markets have the suspended caps whether getting the upgrade or not.

It would be nice if part of the deal to buy time warner cable they had to drop the caps. Though I see that as unlikely.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley

1 recommendation

said by why60loss:

drop the caps.

The most popular wish of all in the forum.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to Johkal

That's not much help. I have no idea what speeds are for what plan. Where's that info?

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley

Present offerings across Comcast's footprint:

»Comcast High Speed Internet FAQ »What are the actual Provisioned Speeds?

Racerbob
Premium
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY
kudos:1

Thanks Johkal . Do they actually sell all of those speed levels on the whole area that they presently are in ? What are the prices ?

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley

1 recommendation

Unfortunately the offerings are market specific; hence the multiple tiers with same name but different provisioning. Pricing can also vary slightly.

why60loss

Reviews:
·Comcast
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Wireless..
·CenturyLink
·AT&T Wireless Br..

said by Johkal:

Unfortunately the offerings are market specific; hence the multiple tiers with same name but different provisioning. Pricing can also vary slightly.

I think he is asking like if he gets 50 mbs from TWC what plan would that be on comast for that area.

Like I know they don't do 505 FTTH in many places, but the 105 and under are nation wide across there foot print right. Or have I misunderstood?

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to Johkal

Thank you!

Looks like I would have a lower download (30/5, with TWC, which is considerably over provisioned) as Comcast's closest tier is 25/5. I don't like that! Why does Comcast have too many low tiers but nothing between 25/5 and 50/10? 25/10 would be pretty good but I happen to be happy with 30/5.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley
reply to why60loss

I didn't get that from his statement: "Do they actually sell all of those speed levels on the whole area that they presently are in ?"

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley
reply to Mele20

The lower tiers are considered "retention tiers" as to not lose customers to cord cutting or DSL. It's also a starter for some to get them onboard with cable internet. In addition, there are actually "Double Play" bundles with the low end tier and TV service at a great price. Whether it works or not is unknown to me.

Racerbob
Premium
Webster, NY
reply to Johkal

said by Johkal:

I didn't get that from his statement: "Do they actually sell all of those speed levels on the whole area that they presently are in ?"

And that is exactly what I meant. I have 30/5 service now. I am encouraged that TW was/is planning on raising the standard service from 15/1 to 50/5. Although I am not looking forward to Comcast possibly (it ain't over until the fat lady sings) completing this purchase and then having them as an ISP, I will keep an open mind about things and see what develops here.

why60loss

Reviews:
·Comcast
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Wireless..
·CenturyLink
·AT&T Wireless Br..

said by Racerbob:

said by Johkal:

And that is exactly what I meant. I have 30/5 service now. I am encouraged that TW was/is planning on raising the standard service from 15/1 to 50/5. Although I am not looking forward to Comcast possibly (it ain't over until the fat lady sings) completing this purchase and then having them as an ISP, I will keep an open mind about things and see what develops here.

Just go to the Comcast website and use a Comcast zip code. Then you could look at the prices your self.

From a price stand point more or less:

15/1=20/4
20/2=50/10
50/5=105/20

I could be mistaken but that's how it looked to me.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley
reply to Racerbob

said by Racerbob:

I will keep an open mind about things and see what develops here.

Good attitude friend! I was in the same boat in 2006 when I was transitioned from Adelphia to Comcast and kept the same open mind. There are a lot of good people in the Comcast forum to help answer questions. Our resident employees & techies are awesome. The Comcast Direct forum is also there to resolve issues.
--
In God we trust; all others bring data!

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley
reply to why60loss

said by why60loss:

15/1=20/4
20/2=50/10
50/5=105/20

Extreme 105/20 - $99.95 - $114.95
Blast - 50/10 - $63.95
Performance - 20/5 - $53.95
Performance Starter - 6/1 - $49.95
Economy Plus - 3/768 - $29.95

*Pricing may vary slightly market to market.
*Prices are for customers subscribing to "2" services. Standalone services are on average $10 more.
--
In God we trust; all others bring data!

why60loss

Reviews:
·Comcast
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Wireless..
·CenturyLink
·AT&T Wireless Br..

said by Johkal:

said by why60loss:

15/1=20/4
20/2=50/10
50/5=105/20

Extreme 105/20 - $99.95 - $114.95
Blast - 50/10 - $63.95
Performance - 20/5 - $53.95
Performance Starter - 6/1 - $49.95
Economy Plus - 3/768 - $29.95

*Pricing may vary slightly market to market.
*Prices are for customers subscribing to "2" services. Standalone services are on average $10 more.

Those are the rates after the limited time/contract pricing gos away. If so then:

20/5-$53.95 VS 15/1-$54.99
50/10-$63.95 VS 20/2-$64.99
105/20-$99.95-114.95 VS 50/5-$84.99

Thanks for some more numbers. I have mostly been a time warner customer than a Comcast one so this clears things up more for how this deal will impact us.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley

Yep, I didn't post any promotional deals as they greatly vary and are dependent on "new customer" vs "existing customer" restrictions.

Racerbob
Premium
Webster, NY

1 edit
reply to why60loss

Now then, I wonder if any of these TW plans could come into play ?

»www.twcableuntangled.com/2014/01···erience/

Is Time Warner just going to stand still now and not proceed with any of the upgrades ? I do know one thing...sitting here watching various channels on the tube today, the number of TW commercials has not gone down.

why60loss

Reviews:
·Comcast
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Wireless..
·CenturyLink
·AT&T Wireless Br..

1 recommendation

reply to Johkal

said by Johkal:

Yep, I didn't post any promotional deals as they greatly vary and are dependent on "new customer" vs "existing customer" restrictions.

Well got to say looks like for the most part we have been taken to the cleaners then. The top tier cost are a little high, but the rest of it just made me see just how much we were getting ripped off.

Really glad you could share the real cost because just trying to find it is a real pain.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to Johkal

Those are expensive! I have 30/5 for $40, plus, $6 modem rental and tax. My TV is analog bulk (part of my rent so I pay Oceanic directly only for Internet). I am not interested in TV because I will try to go OTA whenever analog disappears (unless a cheap digital bulk plan is negotiated with this condo). I only watch 10 hours a week on ABC, CBS and NBC and for the past two months I have watched almost nothing as the dramas I like have taken a winter break and then they didn't come back in Feb because of that awful Olympic stuff which I care nothing about...boring...boring...to watch. Currently, I get the broadcast channels in HD via clearqam.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

why60loss

Reviews:
·Comcast
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Wireless..
·CenturyLink
·AT&T Wireless Br..
reply to Racerbob

said by Racerbob:

Now then, I wonder if any of these TW plans could come into play ?

»www.twcableuntangled.com/2014/01···erience/

Is Time Warner just going to stand still now and not proceed with any of the upgrades ? I do know one thing...sitting here watching various channels on the tube today, the number is TW commercials has not gone down.

In truth it was likely a move to make Comcast give them the price they wanted for the stock. Those markets will still likely get those speeds, but else ware we are stuck till:

a) the deal falls though and Time warner cable gets the lead out of it's pants and does the upgrade nation wide by 2015-2016.

b) Comcast gets the deal though and we all get plans under there system. (Have no idea how that will work, should know by the time the deal is done.)

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley
reply to Mele20

For those that want HSI, TV & CDV(phone), the Triple Plays can offer really nice package savings. As new customers you can also score some promo savings on top of that. The Double Plays are less attractive, but pricing is appealing.

why60loss

Reviews:
·Comcast
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Wireless..
·CenturyLink
·AT&T Wireless Br..

1 recommendation

reply to Mele20

said by Mele20:

Those are expensive! I have 30/5 for $40, plus, $6 modem rental and tax. My TV is analog bulk (part of my rent so I pay Oceanic directly only for Internet). I am not interested in TV because I will try to go OTA whenever analog disappears (unless a cheap digital bulk plan is negotiated with this condo). I only watch 10 hours a week on ABC, CBS and NBC and for the past two months I have watched almost nothing as the dramas I like have taken a winter break and then they didn't come back in Feb because of that awful Olympic stuff which I care nothing about...boring...boring...to watch. Currently, I get the broadcast channels in HD via clearqam.

He posted the standard rate and I am going to tell you right now that 40 a month for 30/5 is not the standard rate.

Like in the Comcast market I got 50/10 for like 45 a month but I know that's just the intro rate not the real one.

jacko15

@rr.com
reply to Johkal

OUCH! I'm paying $44.95 for 15/1 with TWC now (no promotion). Looks like Comcast is going to dig deep into my wallet for similar speeds. Upload increase doesn't mean much to me, it's download speeds I need.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
reply to Racerbob

said by Racerbob:

Is Time Warner just going to stand still now and not proceed with any of the upgrades ? I do know one thing...sitting here watching various channels on the tube today, the number is TW commercials has not gone down.

My understanding is it business as usual, anything already in the pipeline will continue. Why would TWC reduce the amount of its commercials, they are still in business and they are not going to shut up and go home.

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson