Elmo
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA
kudos:2
reply to DrDrew

Re: Comcast to acquire TW...

said by DrDrew:

There are only 2 guides used for Motorola gear on TWC across Southern California.

What city is your mother-inlaw in?

Anaheim, East side near Yorba Linda. She has the iGuide stuff. We had Navigator in Orange when I moved to DirecTV. I went into the Anaheim TWC office to exchange the box for a newer model about 2 years ago, and at THAT time they said it couldn't be done, because her area couldn't convert to the newer boxes.
--
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:15

Yeah, 2 years ago Navigator was only for Signature Home customers in SoCal. Customers wanting whole house DVRs and who really want a different guide will get the Navigator boxes now. They're not so stingy with Navigator boxes, but iGuide boxes are also still in wide distribution. They're not going away in the next couple years. Comcast also has a huge distribution of them.
--
I'll make it work.... hand me that BFR.

donnieS

@rcn.com
reply to Satch

@satch, today there exists differences in comcasts lineup from system to system so there will be bigger differences when the TWC deal is complete. Over time boomerang and other networks may fill distribution gaps but it takes time. As far as signature home it's just a branding. They may just do away with the name and offer the same service or just migrated to the closest triple play package offered at the time most likely one with Comcast branding.

Racerbob
Premium
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY
kudos:1
reply to swintec

Will data caps go away in order for this deal to be approved ?

»www.uproxx.com/technology/2014/0···ta-caps/

InfiniteZr0

join:2014-02-13
United State
reply to swintec

Hi. I asked this question earlier but didn't get a reply. Not sure if no one knew, cared or saw the post. But I'll try to ask again

Anyway. I have TWC Business internet. I pay $80 for 7down .75up
I was wondering if anyone knew how likely it would be that I would be getting better speeds when Comcast moves in.

I checked Comcast business site and say they had 16down and 3up for $70 and 50down and 10up for $105

Anyone know if Comcast will be sending these rates over?

If it makes any difference. I'm in the Columbus Ohio area and TWC is currently the only option in this area.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:15

1 recommendation

Nobody knows any specifics... give it a year.
--
I'll make it work.... hand me that BFR.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

said by DrDrew:

Nobody knows any specifics... give it a year.

Year will go fast though.

why60loss

join:2012-09-20
reply to swintec

We may get saved from Google.

The RDU is maybe getting saved from the time warner of doom. Time to pay less for 1gbs than 30/5.

rjbasye

join:2000-05-24
Dry Ridge, KY

Google could save us all if they expand nationwide. I hope they do.

Packeteers
Premium
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

reality is no cable company including google will build in an area that already has a good isp company with >50% penetration. this is why so few cable companies compete in the same area. there are too many other under served or antiquated areas to build up. so the best chance you have to get google is if the current isp's offered in your area really suck hard - that means if google builds there, they'd capture >50% effortlessly. all the ice storms this winter may help spurn rebuilds in areas where antiquated systems were destroyed, so don't be surprised if google comes to a mid-atlantic state next year.

Satch

join:2009-11-25

Comcast uses I-Guide in a lot of areas,

Here's a picture and comments about their SARA to I-Guide transition, which I don't think was that long ago, could be wrong though. Navigator looks better than I-Guide:

»corporate.comcast.com/comcast-vo···le-boxes

Satch

spdickey

join:2002-11-17
Pacific Palisades, CA
reply to swintec

Brian Roberts Sets Watchdogs Howling

said by »variety.com/2014/tv/news/comcast···1111192/ :

If all goes as planned, the $45.2 billion all-stock pact to swallow up Time Warner Cable, the nation’s No. 2 cable operator, will boost Comcast to about 30 million cable subscribers, up from about 22 million today, or just under 30% of cable TV subscribers. That’s about the same size Comcast reached at its previous peak in 2006, after a string of cable acquisitions (and prior to its 2011 purchase of NBCU).

More at »variety.com/2014/tv/news/comcast···1111192/

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY
kudos:5
reply to swintec

Re: Comcast to acquire TW...

I will not go to Comcast the way they currently operate.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:9

Do you have options?

ncsupcc

@rr.com
reply to why60loss

said by why60loss:

The RDU is maybe getting saved from the time warner of doom. Time to pay less for 1gbs than 30/5.

IMO, I don't think Google needs to be directly involved in the area. If there is enough support to overturn the municipal network ban in NC, then Greenlight may be able to expand in other areas or that gigabit consortium might focus on residential customers. But that's a pipe dream in a sense.

why60loss

Reviews:
·Comcast
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Wireless..
·CenturyLink
·AT&T Wireless Br..

said by ncsupcc :

said by why60loss:

IMO, I don't think Google needs to be directly involved in the area. If there is enough support to overturn the municipal network ban in NC, then Greenlight may be able to expand in other areas or that gigabit consortium might focus on residential customers. But that's a pipe dream in a sense.

I think it would be best if Google made the push than just some group of guys wanting to build a city owned network. It's far more likely to get google in the area than it is to overturn a law that is being paid for by Time warner cable soon to be part of Comcast.

The gigbit consortium likely wants google to do it because they would have had to get a private business to build the network anyway and they haven't had much luck so far. So yep google seems to be our best bet.

My own pipe dream is that AT&T in fear of google like in TX deploys gigapower here, but that's just a dream in a pipe.

MrBungle87

join:2013-01-18
Durham, NC
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

said by why60loss:

said by ncsupcc :

said by why60loss:

I think it would be best if Google made the push than just some group of guys wanting to build a city owned network. It's far more likely to get google in the area than it is to overturn a law that is being paid for by Time warner cable soon to be part of Comcast.

The gigbit consortium likely wants google to do it because they would have had to get a private business to build the network anyway and they haven't had much luck so far. So yep google seems to be our best bet.

My own pipe dream is that AT&T in fear of google like in TX deploys gigapower here, but that's just a dream in a pipe.

I'd rather not ever deal with AT&T, regardless of what they were offering or at what price point. They're scum.

ncsupcc

@rr.com

I'm not up to speed about the roles of legal entities, but couldn't AG Roy Cooper challenge the nature of NC House Bill 129 that was enacted in 2011?

»www.govtech.com/technology/Munic···ina.html

kilrathi
Premium
join:2005-04-22
Rockaway Park, NY

2 recommendations

reply to swintec

People need to stop talking about google fiber, 99% of us here will not see it in your neighborhood in a lifetime...

Packeteers
Premium
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

agreed - during google's own quarterly earning calls to stock analysts, they rarely mention their fiber initiative at all,
so they obviously don't see it as a profit center for them, but merely as a goodwill valued experimental testing ground,
and a vehicle with which to maintain contracts with various content providers. for all we know chromecast could be the
vehicle google eventually uses to circumvent current coax and satellite based cabletv channel distribution, so it's in google's
best interest to provoke other isps to improve their offering with even just a threat of google competing in their markets.

mikemikey

join:2005-06-28
Fallbrook, CA
reply to antdude

If I remember right it was Excite email with a @home .com address kind of like how uverse customers have a @att .net addy with yahoo email.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

said by mikemikey:

If I remember right it was Excite email with a @home .com address kind of like how uverse customers have a @att .net addy with yahoo email.

Yep. I didn't use its e-mail address. The service was horrible before DOCSIS days even after @Home died and Adelphia took over with its PowerLink. Sheesh.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
kudos:3

2 recommendations

reply to swintec

NSFW (Language)
Comcast doesn't give a ....
»www.funnyordie.com/videos/c38fb8···93597421

why60loss

Reviews:
·Comcast
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Wireless..
·CenturyLink
·AT&T Wireless Br..

said by cypherstream:

NSFW (Language)
Comcast doesn't give a ....
»www.funnyordie.com/videos/c38fb8···93597421

+1 that was funny as heck.

Time warner cable is the same way but they rip us off even harder. I know no one on Comcast pays 57.99 for 15/1.

It's just cable, they frank underwood every one. I would even say that's how any business with shareholders is to some level.

But yep I do agree the video makes some good points.

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

nah Comcast is worse they have a bad rap sheet too they stopped adding major HD channels over a year ago in most areas and if a channel is added it is in SD go figure. Why is it that Charter can deploy 200 HD channels over an 860MHz system in Texas non-SDV but Comcast can only get a measly 130 HD Channels in the best systems?

xcrunner529

join:2010-08-05
Dublin, OH
reply to swintec

I don't really like TWC, but in both places I've lived in Ohio they've been extremely reliable…I can't remember any downtime since I've had it aside from that Juniper bug issue that effected most of their network years ago.

I also appreciate that they backed off data caps. With Comcast buying them I am afraid I'll actually have to deal with them.

Satch

I am not so sure this is going to be approved. Hopefully it is not. Too much bad customer rapport with this. Let each company do its own thing, keeping up the good service in good divisions, and working to improve service and infrastructure in average to poor divisions.

Satch

Satch

Why is the reason for Comcast's plan or potential to sell off 3 million subs to a different company? Is it just to convince regulators that 30 million subs is OK, but 33 million would be too big?

I am in Wisconsin. We have a few Charter systems up North and TWC everywhere else.

Satch

why60loss

Reviews:
·Comcast
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Wireless..
·CenturyLink
·AT&T Wireless Br..
reply to Satch

said by Satch:

I am not so sure this is going to be approved. Hopefully it is not. Too much bad customer rapport with this. Let each company do its own thing, keeping up the good service in good divisions, and working to improve service and infrastructure in average to poor divisions.

Satch

This deal is really likely for the best, because this is the only chance the FCC has to enforce a no cap rule. Time warner cable would likely jack prices even higher and cap after the 100mbs roll out was done. The Maxx upgrades are likely going to be viper ware out side the 3 places getting it.

Time warner cable left there network to rot for far to long and now has to die just like RIM for not planning ahead. No FTTH, sub par upload speeds and higher cost per mbs than other big cable business's like Comcast. 2nd worst customer service that is only out done by AT&T it's self.

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

said by why60loss:

said by Satch:

Satch

This deal is really likely for the best, because this is the only chance the FCC has to enforce a no cap rule. Time warner cable would likely jack prices even higher and cap after the 100mbs roll out was done. The Maxx upgrades are likely going to be viper ware out side the 3 places getting it.

Time warner cable left there network to rot for far to long and now has to die just like RIM for not planning ahead. No FTTH, sub par upload speeds and higher cost per mbs than other big cable business's like Comcast. 2nd worst customer service that is only out done by AT&T it's self.

No TWC never left the network to die more like they didn't want to overload the system with 100Mbps like other providers were doing. Charter tried 100Mbps over 4 QAMs on the downstream didn't work and caused major slow downs.

No the deal isn't for better lol! Try no channel additions after the deal is completed if approved with never ending price increases by Comcast. And not to mention TWC has put in the fine print touting no caps. No TWC was not planning on capping the internet after 100Mbps was rolled out. Comcast says they will treat all traffic equal but they don't mention the fact that it will be capped.