how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Satch

join:2009-11-25
reply to Vertigo

Re: Comcast to acquire TW...

If this deal is not approved, struck down in the courts, than what happens?

Satch

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO
reply to Vertigo

said by Vertigo :

Charter is still using SA equipment with an old school SARA guide here in SoCal and would have to do major upgrades to standardize the systems. If Charter kills off CableCards that will be a major disappointment.

In former Comcast TWC territory we still have Comcast's 2004-era iGuide software running. Comcast could pick up right where they left off!

Satch

Comcast uses I-Guide in some markets,

But they have also rolled out a Tivo based guide in other markets that makes Navigator look like Pong!

»tivo.com/discover/cable (Scroll down)

I have been talking to subs about Comcast's bandwidth caps. They say in many markets, they aren't even turned on, and I know one guy that downloads like 1TB of stuff a month and Comcast has said nothing, so I wouldn't worry about it.

It would be nice if we get better boxes and a better guide though. Remember, this could all die in the courts and with the FCC.

Satch

JacksGhost
Got Bottle?

join:2002-12-29
Buffalo, NY
reply to antdude

said by antdude:

Ugh, a new cable company after Century Communications, Adelphia Communications, Time Warner Cable, and now Comcast since early 2001?

Hey guy! Remember me? ( LOL! ) I just hopped on here to see if there was any of the ' old crew ' around and what the rumor-mill was on TWC being sold.

I wish you and others didnt experience many ' sales ' over the last 15 years.

*IF* this happens, I hope its for the better for you.

Satch

reply to Satch

said by Satch:

Comcast uses I-Guide in some markets,

But they have also rolled out a Tivo based guide in other markets that makes Navigator look like Pong!

I have been talking to subs about Comcast's bandwidth caps. They say in many markets, they aren't even turned on, and I know one guy that downloads like 1TB of stuff a month and Comcast has said nothing, so I wouldn't worry about it.

It would be nice if we get better boxes and a better guide though. Remember, this could all die in the courts and with the FCC.

Satch

However, just like TWC, being able to get the newer boxes depends on your market with Comcast and what they have in stock:

»forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-···/1170993

Satch

mckenna797
Premium
join:2004-08-25
Astoria, NY

so if this deal gets approved by the courts and other regulators what will happen to all the services TWC was going to due this year

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:3

the logical thing to do would be keep the CAPEX the same and keep doing the upgrades already in the pipe such as 300/20 in NYC and LA and 100/5 in the rest of the areas as they probably should keep things as normal during the transition period of they will face a backlash and lose customers due to stagnation of no new features. I have a feeling that with TWC getting the premium at $160 a share they could still do upgrades and hopefully Comcast would honor the upgrades and I seriously hope Comcast doesn't come in and yank all of the HD channels that they don't carry which will cost more customers. I honestly don't think Comcast is going to remove anything and they will likely keep SDV as they own a stake in ARRIS and they provide SDV gear to TWC.

ViperJohn

join:2000-03-23
Santa Ana, CA
reply to swintec

I seriously doubt this will make it past the regulators.

Viper

motoracer

join:2003-09-15
united state
reply to swintec

Anyone know Comcasts internet pricing for the different speeds?

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:3

well I don't think TWC is going to stop adding channels right away. Today they announced EPIX is going to be added on 3/18/14 so I have a feeling things will go on as normal until around the summer time and then we will start to see how this plays out.

BryanInPHX
Premium
join:2001-03-06
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:2
reply to Satch

said by Satch:

Satch

No, Comcast has not rolled out a TiVo Guide.
It is just that in some markets, mainly Motorola markets, XFINITY On Demand is available on the TiVo. It is an App on the TiVo that requests the VOD stream over IP and the Programming is delivered via a QAM channel.

The backoffice client is SeaChange:
»www.cedmagazine.com/news/2012/08···networks
--
Cox Premier HSI, SB6120, ASUS RT-N66U
TiVo Roamio Pro, XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS & TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HD HomeRun PRIME

ViperJohn

join:2000-03-23
Santa Ana, CA
reply to ViperJohn

Hmmm...If this merger does go through it would certainly strengthen the reasoning behind, and case for, reclassifying ISP's as common carriers.

Comcast may have just shot themselves in the foot lol.

kilrathi
Premium
join:2005-04-22
Rockaway Park, NY
reply to swintec

oh god no! Just when TW truly starting to be great in nyc now we gonna get it all ruined by comcast who will also impose caps.... sigh this sucks if it holds. May truly turn to verizon fios if this occurs.

CJ90006

join:2004-10-05
Los Angeles, CA

2 edits
reply to swintec

I'm not too happy about this because I think it is certain that the Los Angeles market will be given to Charter and they suck worse than Comcast.

Racerbob
Premium
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to swintec

What terrible news to wake up to.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:10

1 recommendation

reply to JacksGhost

said by JacksGhost:

ey guy! Remember me? ( LOL! ) I just hopped on here to see if there was any of the ' old crew ' around and what the rumor-mill was on TWC being sold.

Yeah I am still here!

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

donnieS

@rcn.com
reply to Vertigo

@vertigo and dragonman300, SoCal will no way be sold to charter. Besides the fact that TWC owns 2 regional sports networks in LA, it's obvious Comcast wants the 2 biggest media markets. Rest of the markets may be up for grabs especially those adjacent to existing charter markets. Type in "comcast time warner" in google news and try to find one article that hints at charter getting SoCal.

DannyZ
Gentoo Fanboy
Premium
join:2003-01-29
Erie, PA

1 recommendation

reply to hobgoblin

I really miss the old Adelphia forum

Phroz

join:2005-11-23
Lewiston, ME
reply to antdude

said by antdude:

Ugh, a new cable company after Century Communications, Adelphia Communications, Time Warner Cable, and now Comcast since early 2001?

Hmm I started on Cablevision in the mid 90s. It then got sold to Frontier Vision. Then it was acquired by Adelphia. Now Time Warner. And (possibly) Comcast.

Wilsdom

join:2009-08-06

2 recommendations

reply to swintec

Damn...what's next, AOL buys Comcast?

rdsport323

join:2001-05-28
Irvine, CA

1 recommendation

reply to swintec

so, does this mean we can kiss our rr.com email addresses goodbye? or roadrunner.com?

DAMN IT.

Coelispex

join:2013-06-03
Wilmette, IL
reply to swintec

As a current Comcast subscriber, I would like to welcome you guys to our new house. yay

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

Well, I must have known this was coming. I've had a Comcast Ripe Atlas probe since Comcast offered them for anyone, not just Comcast subscribers, in the Comcast forum here. It was a hot forum topic so I clicked on it (where I wouldn't ordinarily read Comcast forum) and applied and jlivingood sent me one. Two of us in Hawaii have one. It's neat.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
reply to Matt7

There aren't any Comcast markets in Ohio any longer, let alone the Mid-Central Ohio area. Charter is closer by being in Michigan and able to grab part of the fiber TWC owns in Toledo and connect the entire system- even going down into WV.

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH

1 recommendation

reply to antdude

Adelphia is still in business under Zito Media owned by the same family and actually picked up a great deal of their former markets from TWC not long ago.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
reply to Wilsdom

said by Wilsdom:

Damn...what's next, AOL buys Comcast?

How is AOL even alive today? Ugh!

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·MegaPath

2 recommendations

reply to rdsport323

Most likely as RR would be killed and is being killed already by TWC. They lease that name and don't even use it for their own brand of Internet. Nobody uses it any longer except for email and backend things. But WHY are you using your ISP's email anyway? If you value your email that much get your own domain.

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
reply to antdude

Yes they are.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to hobgoblin

said by hobgoblin:

said by JacksGhost:

ey guy! Remember me? ( LOL! ) I just hopped on here to see if there was any of the ' old crew ' around and what the rumor-mill was on TWC being sold.

Yeah I am still here!

Hob

But will you guys still be around with Comcast? :O

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to DannyZ

said by DannyZ:

I really miss the old Adelphia forum

I miss the old users like MacLeech, Hobgoblin (oh wait, he's still here!), etc.