spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jaberi

join:2010-08-13

Sears client seeks superior service, charged with trespassing

A Fort Saskatchewan, Alta., woman who is recovering from a heart attack says she counted on Sears to provide superior service when she wanted new windows installed.

»www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/···.2532476
------------------------------------------------------

if the judge doesn't throw the trespassing charge out, then the judge should be thrown out.

PX Eliezer
Premium
join:2013-03-10
Graustark
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Optimum Voice
·callwithus
·Callcentric
Pretty despicable, when you read that full article.

This lady now has multiple reasons to sue Sears.

Bad, bad management. Bad, bad PR.

They made a bad snafu even worse.

-----

Reminds me of a US incident a few years ago where an old lady (age 75) attacked a Comcast office with a hammer. Quite justifiably in my opinion.
»www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co···359.html

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to jaberi
I believe the police had every reason to remove her from the store, but laying charges under these circumstances was a low blow.

loosedobbs

join:2006-06-13
Toronto
said by PX Eliezer:

Pretty despicable, when you read that full article.

This lady now has multiple reasons to sue Sears.

Bad, bad management. Bad, bad PR.

They made a bad snafu even worse.

-----

Reminds me of a US incident a few years ago where an old lady (age 75) attacked a Comcast office with a hammer. Quite justifiably in my opinion.
»www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co···359.html

Totally agree. Reputation gone for 7k+. Not that there was any left.

said by Gone:

I believe the police had every reason to remove her from the store, but laying charges under these circumstances was a low blow.

Agree. May be they had no choice as pressed by sears.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
Sears has no say in whether charges are laid or not. It is entirely up to the Crown. I suspect they will be quietly dropped either right before or during her first court appearance.

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to jaberi
unfortunately, she's out the money...the bigger question is, who actually buys stuff from Sears any more??...it seems the ONLY people who shop there are older people who have "been buying from them for 35 years"...she should have purchased her windows and doors from a window and door company, or at least a home building store (who farms out the install, like Home Depot, or Lowes for example).

PX Eliezer
Premium
Graustark
Reviews:
·Optimum Voice
·callwithus
·Callcentric
said by dirtyjeffer:

....she should have purchased her windows and doors from a window and door company, or at least a home building store (who farms out the install, like Home Depot, or Lowes for example).

In this case, though, Sears [did] farm out the install, it was that 3rd party [SHS Services Management Inc] who actually is going under.

A big part of the woman's complaint is that this was not made clear upfront, it was presented to her as "Sears".

Whereas in fact "Sears" sold its home improvements installation division to "SHS" last March.

Hmmph. How'd they go broke in less than a year.... THAT should be looked at.

-----

Sears Canada itself is shaky as you say.

From last winter:
»business.financialpost.com/2013/···ng-soon/

Sears Canada is majority-owned by Sears Holdings [US].

But the brand is doing poorly in both countries!

g121
MrGee

join:2004-05-28
Toronto
reply to jaberi
years ago, Esso Home Comfort sold off their Home Heat business to Sears .. i finally did the oil-to-gas conversion last fall resulting in the return of the Sears rental hot water heater .. 4 months & 4 phone calls later, they are still trying to bill me for the hot water heater rental .. i've no confidence left in them ..

cheers from Toronto ..

Kitlope

join:2004-07-29
Edmonton, Ab
reply to jaberi
You know, these stores that has seen their glory days leave them years ago will never learn.

The negative publicity just cost Sears a hell of a lot more than $7000.00

And when they go under, it's usually a "good riddance" from many.

And FWIW, I've shopped at that particular store for years. These days I only go there for Kenmore vacuum bags, but its a rare occurance.

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
Sears is already likely on its way out...they have recently closed several key locations lately.

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
kudos:5
reply to jaberi
What? They didn't use a taser?

mr weather
Premium
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON
She wasn't trying to attack them with a stapler.
--
"It's all coming down!!" - Mike Holmes

thebaron
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Stittsville, ON
reply to jaberi
This is why I never pay a deposit. If a company won't furnish then I'll go somewhere else or buy the materials myself.

I've even bought building materials once and the installer tried to charge me a deposit on his labour... are you fucking kidding me?

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
said by thebaron:

This is why I never pay a deposit. If a company won't furnish then I'll go somewhere else or buy the materials myself.

I've even bought building materials once and the installer tried to charge me a deposit on his labour... are you fucking kidding me?

It's actually very common as it places a financial commitment on the customer to complete the work without backing out at the last minute after materials have been ordered and resources have been allocated to the project. Many people in the business will gladly take the refusal to pay a deposit as a warning that they're dealing with the type of customer they don't want to deal with and happily tell the customer deal with someone else.

mr weather
Premium
Mississauga, ON
^^This.

Paying a deposit forces the customer to commit to the job as well. But, it should be only be for a nominal amount - like $500 or whatever depending on the job estimate. You should run not walk away from contractors who want large sums of money up front.
--

corster
Premium
join:2002-02-23
Gatineau, QC
reply to jaberi
And as much as merchants whine about accepting credit cards, this is exactly the type of situation where customers should be using them - if she had put the deposit on a Visa or MasterCard, a simple phone call to the card issuer would be all it takes to get it refunded.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to mr weather
said by mr weather:

Paying a deposit forces the customer to commit to the job as well. But, it should be only be for a nominal amount - like $500 or whatever depending on the job estimate. You should run not walk away from contractors who want large sums of money up front.

We usually ask for half. On a big job $500 is easy for a customer to piss away after you've already spent far more than that on getting the material and assigning a crew you need to pay anyway.

mr weather
Premium
Mississauga, ON
That's why I said "or whatever depending on the job estimate". Most contractors I've worked with want 10-20% up front which I don't think is unreasonable.
--

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
Yeah. The only time we want something paid up front in full is if it is a special order item that you're not having us install. We're on the hook 100% for those and end up losing quite a bit of money if you decide to change your mind after it arrives.

loosedobbs

join:2006-06-13
Toronto
reply to jaberi
"However, Edmonton Police Const. Gary Worthington told Go Public on Feb. 4 that a Sears security officer was the complainant acting on behalf of the store."

"Power says he made this clear when he spoke to police earlier this week, and was told that the charges would be dropped once a plea of not guilty was entered when Greenough first appeared in court."

"As for Greenough, she confirmed Saturday that work on her windows has now been completed and said she is happy with the results."

"She says she has not yet received an apology."

Robrr

join:2008-04-19
Guelph, ON
reply to dirtyjeffer
said by dirtyjeffer:

unfortunately, she's out the money...the bigger question is, who actually buys stuff from Sears any more??...it seems the ONLY people who shop there are older people who have "been buying from them for 35 years"...she should have purchased her windows and doors from a window and door company, or at least a home building store (who farms out the install, like Home Depot, or Lowes for example).

No guarantees that would have turned out any better.

My wife and I had Centennial Windows and Doors in for a quote last year. To summarize the situation, I was at work at the time and the guy refused to talk to my wife because she might know how to pick a pretty window but wouldn't know anything about how windows worked and left without providing a quote.

Needless to say, they won't be back again

PX Eliezer
Premium
Graustark
Reviews:
·Optimum Voice
·callwithus
·Callcentric
said by Robrr:

My wife and I had Centennial Windows and Doors in for a quote last year. To summarize the situation, I was at work at the time and the guy refused to talk to my wife because she might know how to pick a pretty window but wouldn't know anything about how windows worked and left without providing a quote.

Needless to say, they won't be back again

That guy was both an idiot and an asshole.

Any smart salesperson knows that the women make most of the decisions, and it's the women that have to be "sold" on the deal.

jaberi

join:2010-08-13
reply to loosedobbs
always good to hear a happy ending, at this point and time i would be exhausted, shut the windows and write the apology off.

telco_mtl

join:2012-01-06
reply to jaberi
family guy is even hating on Sears of late, last night i saw that sears is now a post apocolyptic mad max world!