uniqs
share rss forum feed

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2

[Internet] Access modem diagnostics ?

Is it possible to access the modem's diagnostics menus anymore ? I know that you could do so years ago... My modem is the SB5101.

For the past two weeks or so, our internet has been dropping off. I had an old Linksys WRTG54 (v2) running DD-WRT that I initially blamed... I replaced it with a Netgear WNR2000 and the problem remains (side benefit: on speed tests, I never broke 8-9Mb/s with the old modem while I get 14-16Mb/s with the new one). I have TW's "Standard" internet (15Mb/s) service and no cable TV.

I've contacted support via chat two times and both times they have me ping and tracert to a TWC box and all is fine there. Then they "refresh" my modem The first one "promised" me I wouldn't have any more problems ! They want to blame my wireless router but since it happened with the previous router and continues with the new one, I'm not buying it.... When we lose connection, I go right to the router's admin pages (which I can access) and it shows the internet connection is down.

jacko15

@rr.com

Here:
»192.168.100.1/index.htm

Jabbu
Premium
join:2002-03-06
reply to Hall

Swap the modem at the local office, if the problem continues return here and post signal levels.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

The 2nd chat agent gave me a case # and said I need to contact level 3 support and I did a bit ago... He initially said the same thing, just swap it but then started looking at logs, as far back as the 8th or 9th. He was saying "Hmmm, weird... you're getting 180s, 170-somethings..." and said he was going to talk to a "lead". He came back and said he checked my neighbors' logs and they're dropping out at the same time as me.

So, a new modem won't help... They're going to find the problem at the pedestal, down the street, etc as it's affecting everyone in the "area". Don't know, or care, what defines the area, but it should get taken care of.

Matt7

join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Insight Communic..

said by Hall:

So, a new modem won't help... They're going to find the problem at the pedestal, down the street, etc as it's affecting everyone in the "area". Don't know, or care, what defines the area, but it should get taken care of.

You still would be wise to swap out the modem - the 5101 is a Docsis 2.x modem and outdated.. A newer Docsis 3.x modem from TWC will allow you to bond channels and even if your on the standard 15/1 tier it will give you more lanes of highway for your traffic to travel to the TWC network.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

Problem is, around here you get what they give you. You can't ask for a specific model. Now, if level 3 tech support put a note on my account like "provide customer with model A, model B, model C, if available" that would most likely help. I'm not interested in buying my own modem at the moment....

What models are recommended (and available from TW) ?

Mystic95Z

join:2005-05-10
Sellersburg, IN
reply to Matt7

said by Matt7:

You still would be wise to swap out the modem - the 5101 is a Docsis 2.x modem and outdated.. A newer Docsis 3.x modem from TWC will allow you to bond channels and even if your on the standard 15/1 tier it will give you more lanes of highway for your traffic to travel to the TWC network.

Yep you will get more consistent speeds with a D3 modem, when I switched to a D3 modem I was on 20/2 and immediately noticed better speeds in the prime time hours.

Jabbu
Premium
join:2002-03-06
reply to Hall

You can certainly request a model...

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

Maybe in your area... I tried - asked for the 6141 (?) and was told no.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

They could have just been out of the 6141 when you asked. Did they offer you any DOCSIS 3 modem? I'm glad I am not in Columbus for years now as TWC service seems backward there (but I loved Germantown).

It does help even on 15/1 to get a DOCSIS 3 modem and the Surfboard 6141 is the best of the DOCSIS 3 modems. Maybe get on a waiting list?
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

I'll probably head to the TWC "store" and ask for a 6141 again. I'll tell them I've been working with level 3 support and they mentioned it too (the rep actually did before he noticed a neighborhood problem).

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

1 edit

Just left the store... with another SB5101. The girl she can try to get me that model that I ask for it but she can't guarantee it.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

They have a bunch of working DOCSIS 2 modems. Those won't work on DOCSIS 3 (20/2 and above) so, sure, they give those old ones out to those on the Standard 15/1 tier rather than just get rid of them. The DOCSIS 3 Surfboards will go first to those on higher tiers. You should periodically check with the store about it. Like with anything, it helps to be very nice and to get to know one of the front desk reps a bit. It will likely be someone returning one and the CSR thinks of your request.

The price is dropping on the 6141 and will drop further when the newest Surfboard that can bond 16 channels down (6141 can only bond 8) is released. So, you might try watching the price and consider buying your own. I still rent but I will not continue to rent when Comcast imposes their ridiculous $8 a month rental fee on us.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:9

said by Mele20:

They have a bunch of working DOCSIS 2 modems. Those won't work on DOCSIS 3 (20/2 and above)

They will work in a D3 network & can surely get 20/2. D2 modems are just not as efficient as D3 modems because they can't do channel bonding.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

Yeah, I didn't word that well. They will work, particularly on 20/2, but here DOCSIS 3 modems are REQUIRED for any tier above 15/1. I had to turn in my beloved Surfboard 5100 I had since Jan 2005 when I got 20/2.
--

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:9

1 recommendation

Same with me. I shelved my trusty Linksys BEFCMU10v4 when I was upgraded to 20/4. It gave me the advertised speeds, but I chose to upgrade at the time to an SB6120 for the channel bonding. In my case, I saw a slight increase above to my actual provisioning.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
reply to Mele20

In the girl's defense, she did say to check back (she gave me the store's direct phone number) and their truck brings them equipment on Mondays, another day, and another day... Who knows, if I'd have went at 10am this morning, they may have had one available.