Snakeoil

Premium Member

Chris Carter's [X Files, Harsh Realm] The After on Amazon Prime

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· Mu2f75oY

»www.vulture.com/2014/02/ ··· sch.html
quote:
Seitz on the Amazon Drama Pilots Bosch and Chris Carter’s The After

The After
The setup: In this new fantasy drama from The X-Files’ creator Chris Carter, a group of Los Angelenos are trapped in a luxury hotel after a mysterious cataclysm, then escape to discover that civilization has apparently collapsed and some uncanny evil is afoot in the land. Plus, they all seem to have lost a whole day and none of them can remember where it went. Coincidences abound, and none of them seem like coincidences. You could say Carter is taking a page from Lost if Lost weren't so heavily indebted to the specific brand of popcorn-exciting mystery-horror that Carter perfected on The X-Files. Carter's got a long track record of holding our interest whether his work is brilliant, okay, or terrible; no reason to think this’ll be a departure.
The cast: Louise Monot, Sharon Lawrence, Andrew Howard, Adrian Pasdar, Jaina Lee Ortiz
How is it? Moderately engaging for the first 20 minutes, as it introduces its disaster-movie-style band of racially, ethnically, and financially diverse characters; increasingly suspenseful for the next 40, as the world devolves into Hobbesian chaos; and for the last 10 minutes, scary as a mofo.

Hopefully Amazon greenlights this into a series, or a network picks it up.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

It was corny as hell and been done too many times.............the ending was just too weird.

Boricua
Premium Member
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

Boricua to Snakeoil

Premium Member

to Snakeoil
Sounds interesting. I loved the X-Files until the last two (or is three) seasons. The show wasn't the same when Dokovny (sp?) left and Anderson was put in the back burner.

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22 to Snakeoil

to Snakeoil
I wish they would give Harsh Realm another go

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium Member
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY

Rook008 to Snakeoil

Premium Member

to Snakeoil
It was pretty corny, yes, but I really liked it.
The setup was pretty good (world gone crazy for unknown reasons, the birthdays) and the ending was a surprise. I didn't see it coming at all.

They could tone down the cursing a bit though.