spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

AdamJ

@205.200.189.x

Magicjack and telephone jacks

Right now I have a phone line coming into my house that is giving dial tone if I plug in a phone into one of the telephone jacks throughout my house. I do not have a landline number currently assigned with my local phone company and have been using a cell phone as my main phone. I picked up an MJ plus and are wanting to set up a landline with that. My question is if I plug in the MJ into one of the telephone jacks, will it give signal to the rest of the jacks in the house so that I can plug in a phone into any one of them, without it having to be directly plugged into the MJ right next to my modem? My modem is in my basement and I'm wanting my phone upstairs plugged into a phone jack in that room so I'm just wondering if the telephone line that plugs into the MJ comes from a phone jack in the basement, it'll work for the ones upstairs too? Hope that makes sense. And I would have to disconnect the line giving dial tone to the jacks currently right? Right now its hooked up to a Wilcom xDSL pots splitter that my DSL internet is connected to as well.

Scree
In the pipe 5 by 5

join:2001-04-24
Mount Laurel, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

You do have to disconnect the old incoming service line first, and then you can connect the magicJack to any jack in your house, which makes the magicJack the new incoming service line to all the other jacks. The magicJack can be plugged into any jack and all the rest will be "extensions" in phone-speak because of how jacks in a house are commonly wired together as "copies" if you will.

ronny_b

join:2004-10-10
Saint Louis, MO
reply to AdamJ

If you disconnect the line coming in from outside, won't that also disconnect the DSL? And then you won't have internet, and the MJ runs over internet, so you're doubly screwed..

Ron

Adamj

@205.200.189.x

Thanks. It turned out being easier than I thought which is good! disconnected the phone company line at the wilcom box inside my house (didn't have to mess around outside with that) and plugged the MJ into a wall jack which activated the rest of the jacks throughout the house. The first thing I checked after I took the 2 wires out is that my DSL internet was still running and it was. Its running on a separate line.

In regards to the ringer equivalence and using multiple phones plugged into the other jacks, would that only apply to a phone that is getting all its power from the phone line itself? My phone plugs into AC power and as far as I know if its unplugged then it won't work at all. I don't think its just for charging the handset.

Scree
In the pipe 5 by 5

join:2001-04-24
Mount Laurel, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to AdamJ

Good thing your dsl was on a separate incoming line, as I didn't realize that could have been combined with the phone service. So good catch there.

As for phones connected to other jacks, any should work normally as the magicJack is supplying the required specification power for the line. Any particular phone that needs to be on AC power is just because of how the phone was designed and what features it has (such as an lcd display, answering machine, etc.) that require more power.

I don't know for sure but there may be a limit to the amount of phones you can have connected to the jacks on a magicJack setup, but it's probably not overly restrictive.

n4bkn

join:2003-12-11
Memphis, TN
reply to AdamJ

You should find that marked as "RE" or Ringer Equivalents. A ordinary mechanical gong, as in the old Western Electric 500 rotary dial desk set, would be a 1.0. A newer phone, with a piezo-electric ringer is likely a 0.1 RE.

I looked around the magicjack.com site, but couldn't find how many RE it can supply. I expect 3, 5 would be even better. I'll look at the package next time I see one in a store.