join:2006-05-14
Castle Rock, CO
kudos:4
Reviews:
·VOIPO

1 recommendation

reply to EUS

Re: linux friendly home laser color printer

I highly recommend printers that grok PostScript (PS)—no Ghostscript, CUPS, drivers or other magic required—as they work out-of-the box with just the built-in lpr. I have a couple of Brother printers that speak BR-Script, which emulates PS, and these work quite well—purchasing non-PS printers for UNIX-like OSes is not worth it IMHO.

Fraoch

join:2003-08-01
Cambridge, ON
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

2 recommendations

Brother's Linux support is pretty good - I've taken my MFC-7460DN and MFC-J615W through several versions of Ubuntu and Linux Mint. Though I have had to futz about a bit from time to time, the drivers generally work well.

said by Bink:

I highly recommend printers that grok PostScript (PS)—no Ghostscript, CUPS, drivers or other magic required—as they work out-of-the box with just the built-in lpr. I have a couple of Brother printers that speak BR-Script, which emulates PS, and these work quite well—purchasing non-PS printers for UNIX-like OSes is not worth it IMHO.

The MFC-7860DW, the model a step up from what I have, supports BR-Script. I should have spent a little more and gotten that.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to Bink
said by Bink:

Is this the type of thing generally found advertised on the printer's box, or should the homework be done before heading out to the store?
--
~ Project Hope ~

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

1 recommendation

It is best to do some homework before shopping. Some printer boxes (especially cheap printers) advertise postscript capabilities but it is purely software support inside the windows printer driver.
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!