uniqs
share rss forum feed

rescue85
In Memory of Guinness 03-30-07
Premium
join:2002-06-12
Eatontown, NJ
kudos:1

[Help] Shortcuts and such.....I don't understand....

Hey BBR,
I have a question I have been tossing around for quite sometime to see if I could figure out the answer myself, however, it's clear that I haven't figured it out hence this thread...

DroidOS:4.3
Launcher: Apex / Next by GO (currently using Next)
Obviously with in the OS we have a desktop and on that desktop is Icons, notably "shortcuts" to apps.
That being said I do not understand what the difference is between the different ways of placing these shortcuts etc on the desktop.

What I am referring to is for example the Next Launch... When I tap and hold on the desktop, you can add widgets, shortcuts, you guys know the rest, but where I am confused is where there is an Add application, Add shortcut, and Add Next shortcut.. I get that the Add Next shortcut allows you to add shortcuts that came with and or are apart of the Next Launcher, but why does the OS need separate places from which to add shortcuts to the desktop? I don't get why they are separate, Next Launcher shortcut group and the main shortcut group...

Lastly, what I would like to understand is what is the difference between Adding shortcuts vs. Add application? This one has me the most bewildered. I can't for the life of me understand what Adding an application to the desktop does vs what Adding shortcut does? Does Adding application mean that if you add an application to the desktop that this app would be resident in memory upon device startup? Sort of like in Windows you have a Startup folder where any shortcut is there launches that app upon Windows boot? I hone sly have no idea if I am even close in my guess or am I as cold as the 8 inches of snow in my backyard?

As always, thank you very much!

John
--
Life is a giant fish bowl... There is no way out but up..

shaner
Premium
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB
Add application puts a link to the full application on your screen. Add shortcut allows you to put a link to a specific action within an application. For example, I can put the People app on my home screen which will open up my entire contacts list. Or, i can add a shortcut to a specific person in my contacts list.

Does that make sense?

rescue85
In Memory of Guinness 03-30-07
Premium
join:2002-06-12
Eatontown, NJ
Hey Shaner.. Thanks for replying... Actually, yes, that makes total sense.. Now that I am looking at the applications which allow me to create shortcuts, I see that they are all apps in which you are linking to something with in an app and not the app itself, such as, I can create a shortcut to a bookmark, but there is noway under the shortcuts to make one for the browser itself. To add a link to the browser, I would need to do that under add application, so yes, makes plenty of sense and not I finally get it Thanks a bunch!

John
--
Life is a giant fish bowl... There is no way out but up..

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
Never really had want to do something that specific, draging icon from apps to home screen creates an app shortcut.... never though of doing more specific... as personal would encompass EMAIL or FB daily check in anyway etc.
--