Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Trel
Good Evening
Premium
join:2002-10-08
Hillsborough, NJ

Help with vlan setup on dell powerconnect (2724) switch.

Right now I have a network with no vlans, and I'm a unfamiliar with the terminology.

What I would like to do is the following

On my switch (24 ports):
-Port 1 (router/firewall): vlans 1, 6, 7
-Ports 2-21: vlan 1 only
-Port 22: vlan 1 and 6
-Port 23: vlan 6 only
-Port 24: vlan 7 only

I know my way around the switch's interface, but I do not know what I should be putting for tagging, untagging, and membership, etc as well as any filtering.
(Assuming I have the switch setup correctly, my firewall/router can handle what to do with each vlan)

--
/chown -R us:us /yourbase

LittleBill

join:2013-05-24
kudos:1
do you have a reason for vlans?

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5
reply to Trel
Another way of stating Lil BIls question is please provide your requirements.
Your asking how to implement a solution instead of stating what your trying to accomplish. State your needs as if their was no switch (ie don't talk hardware or solutions)

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
reply to Trel
said by Trel:

I'm a unfamiliar with the terminology.

Anything useful / helpful in the manual or on Dell's site? Otherwise, may I suggest hitting the Wikipedia
page for VLANs for a general overview?

Otherwise I agree with the previous posters in helping us understand your motivations / requirements for
VLANs. They're not impossible to set up or understand, but I've found it's better to know this stuff
BEFORE going out and breaking something, even if it's your own home network.

...better on your sanity, not to mention family harmony (read:why the f**k did you break the internet, and
when are you going to fix it?!)

Regards

Trel
Good Evening
Premium
Hillsborough, NJ

2 edits
reply to Anav
said by Anav:

Another way of stating Lil BIls question is please provide your requirements.
Your asking how to implement a solution instead of stating what your trying to accomplish. State your needs as if their was no switch (ie don't talk hardware or solutions)

My goal is to understand how to setup vlans on this particular type of switch. I'm not familiar with the phrases "not a member" "tag egress" and "untag egress" as well as if I should be turning "filtering ingress" on or off, or any of the other settings.

I've been googling and I've even been reading topics such as this: »VLAN question

As I don't understand the terminology, I'm not quite getting how I should be setting up my test scenario.

EDIT: I'm trying to replicate an environment, I'm not worried about messing anything up on an existing network.
EDIT2: It looks like my confusion is coming from the Dell switch and not what I assumed was a lack of understanding.

--

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
reply to Trel
Does any of the DOCs here from DELL help at all? -- »www.dell.com/support/Manuals/us/···ect-2724

said by Trel:

My goal is to understand how to setup vlans on this particular type of switch.

Fair enough... tho my 00000010bits, make sure this is TRUELY a lab environment and doesn't have
anything hanging off of it that needs a stable internet access. As I've said, I've been there
when I want to learn something on my home gear that has other family members' stuff hanging off that leads to World War IV

Best of luck learning, OP!

Regards

Trel
Good Evening
Premium
Hillsborough, NJ
Well it looks like I couldn't get the setup I was trying to do to work because of the switch model itself.

I'll try again on a different one.

If I did do it at home on my 'production' network, it wouldn't be the end of the world. I currently have the same switch in managed mode with no config, so I'd need only reset it with a paperclip to undo everything. (5 minutes downtime)
--

shdesigns