Good Evening
Premium Member
join:2002-10-08
USA

2 edits

Trel to Anav

Premium Member

to Anav

Re: Help with vlan setup on dell powerconnect (2724) switch.

said by Anav:

Another way of stating Lil BIls question is please provide your requirements.
Your asking how to implement a solution instead of stating what your trying to accomplish. State your needs as if their was no switch (ie don't talk hardware or solutions)

My goal is to understand how to setup vlans on this particular type of switch. I'm not familiar with the phrases "not a member" "tag egress" and "untag egress" as well as if I should be turning "filtering ingress" on or off, or any of the other settings.

I've been googling and I've even been reading topics such as this: »VLAN question

As I don't understand the terminology, I'm not quite getting how I should be setting up my test scenario.

EDIT: I'm trying to replicate an environment, I'm not worried about messing anything up on an existing network.
EDIT2: It looks like my confusion is coming from the Dell switch and not what I assumed was a lack of understanding.

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

1 edit

mackey

Premium Member

said by Trel:

I'm not familiar with the phrases "not a member" "tag egress" and "untag egress" as well as if I should be turning "filtering ingress" on or off, or any of the other settings.

Example time!

Say you're looking at switch port 6. If, say, a broadcast packet is being transmitted on VLAN 5, then:
If port 6 is "not a member" of VLAN 5 then the packet does NOT go out port 6.
If port 6 is "tag egress" on VLAN 5 then the packet goes out port 6 with the VLAN header still attached.
If port 6 is "untag egress" on VLAN 5 then the packet goes out port 6 after the switch strips off the VLAN header.

With "filtering ingress," if an already-tagged packet (say VLAN 5 again) is received on a port set to "not a member" for that VLAN then that packet is dropped.

/M