Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DigitalManny

join:2014-01-08
Glendale, CA

Is Cisco Model DPC3008 cable modem good

I got this a while back for free from Charter but never changed my Motorola 6120 Surfboard cable modem not sure if should switch my modem and I am wondering if it is 8 bond.

Also should I just call Charter get one of the Motorola modems instead?

mj3431

join:2003-04-21
STL, MO
The Cisco supports 8 DS channels and is the modem used in many markets. If your area supports 8 bonded channels then there's no reason to keep using your 6120.

DigitalManny

Glendale, CA
said by mj3431:

The Cisco supports 8 DS channels and is the modem used in many markets. If your area supports 8 bonded channels then there's no reason to keep using your 6120.

How can I find out if my area uses 8 bonded? If anything happens could I go back to my old modem?

passerby

join:2013-03-22
Monroe, MI
reply to DigitalManny
It's fine.

passerby

Monroe, MI
reply to DigitalManny
said by DigitalManny:

said by mj3431:

How can I find out if my area uses 8 bonded? If anything happens could I go back to my old modem?

Check the modem's diagnostics.

naizarak

join:2007-08-18
Glendale, CA
reply to DigitalManny
our area does in fact have 8 channels. connection reliability is still poor however. just had my modem go through a 15min reset-loop, for the 3rd time this week

rseiler

join:2001-11-01
reply to DigitalManny
The DPC3008 may be fine technically, which I suppose is the most important thing, but its status page is as minimalistic as it gets. Cisco deliberately dumbs it down and no username/password that you find to show the hidden pages (featuring such superfluous things as logging--who would ever need that?) will actually get you anywhere. If I could, I'd much rather have a Motorola SB6141, but Charter doesn't take requests.

DigitalManny

Glendale, CA
said by rseiler:

The DPC3008 may be fine technically, which I suppose is the most important thing, but its status page is as minimalistic as it gets. Cisco deliberately dumbs it down and no username/password that you find to show the hidden pages (featuring such superfluous things as logging--who would ever need that?) will actually get you anywhere. If I could, I'd much rather have a Motorola SB6141, but Charter doesn't take requests.

I am not sure I understand so I can not ask Charter a specific modem I want from them? And if I did is there a fee like leasing? Because the modem I got from Charter was free the reason I am switching the modem to be prepared for 8 bonded if it ever happens in my area.

I would purchase the modem on my own but I heard Charter no longer supports customer purchase modems. So how would you recommend for me to get the Motorola SB6141? Also your only complain is the status or the diagnostic page the way it looks? Not sure if that is a big deal to worry about for me I more care if firmware and connections are working and hoping this modem is not a step down from SB6120 when that was only 4 bonded.

passerby

Monroe, MI
Really, it's not worth the trouble. The DPC3008 is perfectly fine and any of the criticism against it is, with all due respect, nitpicking.

rseiler

reply to DigitalManny
@DigitalManny, the only way to get a specific modem from Charter is if your local office happens to have it. The toll-free number is random and will in all likelihood net you a Cisco.

My complaint isn't about the looks of the log page, it's that the log page doesn't exist (or, more accurately, it exists but is locked away from the customer's view). All things being equal between the Motorola and the Cisco, I want the one that yields more information about itself, and that's far and away the Motorola.

BTW, the firmware for the Cisco hasn't been updated since summer 2012.

DigitalManny

Glendale, CA
said by rseiler:

@DigitalManny, the only way to get a specific modem from Charter is if your local office happens to have it. The toll-free number is random and will in all likelihood net you a Cisco.

My complaint isn't about the looks of the log page, it's that the log page doesn't exist (or, more accurately, it exists but is locked away from the customer's view). All things being equal between the Motorola and the Cisco, I want the one that yields more information about itself, and that's far and away the Motorola.

Okay as for the firmware not being updated since 2012 does this mean they will not have another firmware update? See this is getting frustrating when they are limiting which modem I can get it was better when customers could just purchase there own new modem and get the latest firmware.

Right now I did a speed test and it is not as steady as 6120 was not sure why the connection all of sudden slowed down, but I did check the log and 8 bonded is not in my area. So can Charter for once have right kind of hardware? It is becoming more and more difficult to get what you want.

DigitalManny

Glendale, CA
reply to DigitalManny
Okay my area just went 8 bonded:

Channel 1: 5.0 dBmV 41.3 dB
Channel 2: 4.7 dBmV 41.2 dB
Channel 3: 5.5 dBmV 41.4 dB
Channel 4: 5.2 dBmV 41.4 dB
Channel 5: 5.8 dBmV 41.4 dB
Channel 6: 5.5 dBmV 41.3 dB
Channel 7: 5.9 dBmV 41.9 dB
Channel 8: 5.6 dBmV 41.4 dB

Nice I hope this fixes the issue with Netflix streaming.

passerby

Monroe, MI
reply to DigitalManny
said by DigitalManny:

Okay as for the firmware not being updated since 2012 does this mean they will not have another firmware update? See this is getting frustrating when they are limiting which modem I can get it was better when customers could just purchase there own new modem and get the latest firmware.

The firmware loaded on DOCSIS CPE has to go through an internal approval process and there must be a significant need in the first place. They also must ensure there won't be any negative customer/network-impacting effects of a firmware upgrade. Knowing this, it's not like upgrading your retail-purchase electronic devices - it's a whole different "beast".

A retail-purchased modem is not going to get you the latest firmware available. They often have older, baseline versions and not long after being put on the network, the current (Charter) approved firmware is loaded on the modem automatically.

passerby

Monroe, MI
reply to DigitalManny
said by DigitalManny:

Nice I hope this fixes the issue with Netflix streaming.

If you visit the other network provider forums, you see that the issue with Netflix is often a bit larger than local-network bandwidth.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26
reply to DigitalManny
said by DigitalManny:

If anything happens could I go back to my old modem?

You never got that question answered and the answer is no!
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects ··· amonkey/

Moth

@charter.com
reply to DigitalManny
Stay with the Motorola. Cisco dcp3800 is very unstable for my Internet. Mostly on the upload. Motorola sb6141 is the best modem out there. Charter will give you what is next in line which will probably be a Cisco. Local office is your best bet. You can buy your own modem. Charter will not update the firmware if there is any updates on it. They say. They updated my owned modem before.

Moth

@charter.com
reply to cork1958
Yes you can go back

mj3431

join:2003-04-21
STL, MO
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to rseiler
said by rseiler:

This is a silly reason not to move to the Cisco. If it ain't broke don't fix it, even if the firmware is just over a year old.

rseiler

said by mj3431:

This is a silly reason not to move to the Cisco. If it ain't broke don't fix it, even if the firmware is just over a year old.

I just mentioned that in passing--it's not my main complaint. Though I'd love to see it updated to de-cripple its internal page, so it sort of wraps back to the main complaint.

Also, doesn't firmware sometimes improve upon something, not just fix things that are broken? If so, when firmware is neglected, those things won't happen either.

lwhite68

join:2013-08-18
reply to DigitalManny
Thats the same one they gave me in august 2012, works great, never had any issues with it in the 1.5+ years i used it. speedtest always been what it should... best of all can get free replacement if it ever breaks

passerby

Monroe, MI
reply to Moth
said by Moth :

You can buy your own modem. Charter will not update the firmware if there is any updates on it.

Both statements are NOT true. Statement #1: See screenshot. Statement #2: Why would they NOT update customer-owned modems that have non-compliant firmware and could possibly degrade the network?

Moth

@charter.com
I am using my modem for charter's supplied Internet. Charter told me it was okay for me to use my own modem, but they will not update it. They don't want to be reliable if something happens to it.

passerby

Monroe, MI
said by Moth :

I am using my modem for charter's supplied Internet. Charter told me it was okay for me to use my own modem, but they will not update it. They don't want to be reliable if something happens to it.

You were given incorrect information.