Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ivordurham

join:2002-11-02
Los Altos, CA
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..

IPv6 prefix puzzlement: /64 prefix displayed with 80-bits of data?

I have a Linksys E4200 configured with a Hurricane Electric 6rd tunnel. The router's Local Network status page shows the prefix address as 2001:470:xxxx:xxxx:4600::/64 where I would have expected just 2001:470:xxxx:xxxx::/64, which is how it is displayed at Hurricane Electric. What's the significance of the fifth hex group being displayed in a /64 prefix? (None of the devices on my network has the 4600 in its IPv6 address.) Sorry to demonstrate ignorance and thanks in advance for any enlightenment.

quesix

join:2005-12-19
Cary, IL
sounds like a code bug to me, does the tunnel work? can you post screenshot?

ivordurham

Los Altos, CA
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
Click for full size
The tunnel works properly. I have attached the screen shot with parts of the address obscured. I'm having trouble with a Tayga configuration and wanted to eliminate this as a contributing factor.

quesix

join:2005-12-19
Cary, IL
reply to ivordurham
yeah looks like a bug... not sure want effect, but i notice you are on v1.x code... anyway if it works it may be fine, more likely it's issue with how NAT64 works or Ipv4 firewalling the data.

would need more detail on how setup and what you are trying to do. I would avoid NAT64 if at all possible. With Carrier grade NAT it becomes needed to talk to some IPv4 only devices over IPv6 public addresses is that your case? The IPv6 in ::/96 range used for inbound connection from IPv6 host to talk to IPv4 device on local LAN (local to nat64). or am i misunderstanding? tagya seems to do opposite let ipv6 only talk to ipv4 and outbound only. inbound would be blocked by nat.

ivordurham

Los Altos, CA
I believe I have the most recent firmware available for my E4200 v1. I will start a new topic for the Tayga issue shortly. Thanks.

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium
join:2000-11-09
14225-2105
reply to ivordurham
HE AFAIK doesn't do 6rd, they do 6in4. Yes, it looks like a bug in your E4200 software, a /64 only has 4 groups of hex digits. Addresses are carved out of that, usually using EUI64.