uniqs

Michail
Premium Member
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL

Michail

Premium Member

IE11 vs Chrome on new Windows 8.1 Laptop

I noticed a curious thing on my new laptop that I don't see on my desktop also running Windows 8.1. I have an Acer R7 hybrid laptop that I just purchased and the display on this thing is really stunning. However, I noticed Chrome looks terrible. It goes beyond what I think clear type tuning would be doing. Chrome looks like it has Vaseline smeared all over it when compared to IE11.

I switched over to IE11 anyway because it seems to handle touch screen usage much better.

What has me puzzled is why these two browsers look so different on the new laptop but not on the desktop. All other apps I have seem to be in line with what IE looks like.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

1 recommendation

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

I'm just guessing. Are you using any dpi correction, or not running the native resolution of the monitor?

Michail
Premium Member
Boynton Beach, FL

Michail

Premium Member

I figured out it has to do with the font scaling. Since it's a touch system the default size is 125%. Which I actually like when using in tablet mode. Something in Chrome doesn't work so well with that.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

Well you could always change the dpi back to 100%, and fix that problem. I never liked having to use dpi changes unless necessary, and not all programs scale correctly with dpi.

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22 to Michail

to Michail
said by Michail:

Something in Chrome doesn't work so well with that.

Google knows about the issue and are working on it.

I keep waiting to try "windows 8 fullscreen / touch mode" for chrome on my surface pro, but they keep pulling support back because of the high dpi devices rendering issue.

I also like IE11 on the surface pro, it really is a nice setup (well other than the stupid address bar being at the bottom instead of top)... but I fear using IE for browsing due to the dismal security with IE... so I find myself using chrome and having to manually zoom it up.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

I've seen some 3rd party software made unusable due to higher dpi settings, but it's not like dpi is a new setting, windows has had it for years. Reminds me of how programmers ignored the user accounts in xp, even early vista as they continued to write software like it was for 9x which had no security what so ever.

I don't run with a high dpi normally, but Firefox seems to adjust fine with the higher dpi.

IE 10 just had a zero day too, but win 8 users should have moved on to 8.1 with IE 11 by now.

Now just imagine those 3200x1800, and similar screens. 3rd party might hold us back yet again doing the bare minimum. The tablets, and phones already have to scale, some are even a tiny 1920x1080 screen.

I've also seen how the automatic metro scaling would become problematic, it ignores dpi settings, and has it's own limited font size settings which seem hidden. Those with sight problems have said it might not be big enough when it's a high res tiny screen. They are two totally different interfaces. So not even windows is immune from these problems yet.

Michail
Premium Member
Boynton Beach, FL

Michail

Premium Member

Interesting points.

For this system I'm using I'd say the higher dpi is needed even though it's a 15.6" screen. It's the first time I've ran with it higher and seems to be the system default with the hardware configuration I have.
Michail

Michail

Premium Member

This is an interesting article, it even mentions how to fix programs that don't scale correctly.

»www.howtogeek.com/175664 ··· y-fonts/

I turned off scaling on Chrome and now it looks better (but tiny).
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

That's the dpi settings I was telling you about, but it's good you can make it per application now.