Search similar:

uniqs

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

1 edit

mikedz4

home security for apartment

Is there a home security option for apartments or just houses?

mb6
join:2000-07-23
Washington, NJ

mb6

Re: [HomeSecurity] home security for apartment

If Comcast doesn't, ADT does, and it's reasonable to boot...
grod46
join:2012-11-25
Fresno, CA

grod46 to mikedz4

to mikedz4
said by mikedz4:

Is there a home security option for apartments or just houses?

Yes there is, i live in a apartment and we have xfinity Home Security installed

mikedz4
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

Does it require any wires or wireless

cheeseman
@comcast.com

cheeseman

Anon

All the Xfinity Home sensors are wireless and are installed using double-sided tape.

The wireless keypad gets mounted to the wall with two anchors and screws.

mikedz4
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

Does i have a remote ?

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross to mikedz4

MVM

to mikedz4
The issue with an apartment (assuming rental) is that you would also need to somehow give the owner or maintenance people access...

mikedz4
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

What do you mean accees? I thought they had to give you 24 hours notice befpre entering the apartment?

Mannus
Premium Member
join:2005-10-25
Fort Wayne, IN

Mannus to mikedz4

Premium Member

to mikedz4
Been hearing allot about simplisafe. »simplisafe.com/simplisafebeck

Independent review here

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· -v6RDuow

No contract required either. I am going to be moving in a little over a month and I plan on trying this out in my new home.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to mikedz4

Premium Member

to mikedz4
In an emergency/urgent problem like gas leak, water leak,,etc no notice is required so some sort of alarm shutoff code must be shared.

mikedz4
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

I would still have to call unless a neighbor calls. Is there a way to shutoff from my phone or what package do they install?

XCOM
digitalnUll
Premium Member
join:2002-06-10
Spring, TX

XCOM to mikedz4

Premium Member

to mikedz4
I use Alarm Grid.
Is a DIY friendly company.

»www.alarmgrid.com/

mikedz4
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

Comcast told me today they don't install home security in apartments.
mario02423
join:2004-06-09
Berwyn, IL

mario02423 to mikedz4

to mikedz4
I have a condo (owned in a building of mixed renters and owners) and have Front Point Security. It's completely wireless (except the control panel which is movable but requires an outlet). There is a remote and an iPhone/Android app to arm/disarm. As for the building management, they're required to either A) give me notice (in which case the alarm would be off anyway) or B) enter in an emergency situation (in which case the alarm would likely be going off as it covers smoke, carbon monoxide, and water). It controls the windows and doors with the option of future home automation with lights and electronics.

mikedz4
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

So is xfinity home a good idea or are.there better options?

FureverFurry
RIP Daphne: 3/12/05 - 6/19/12
Premium Member
join:2012-02-20
49xxx
Zoom 5341J
ARRIS WBM760
Vonage VDV-21

FureverFurry

Premium Member

said by mikedz4:

So is xfinity home a good idea or are.there better options?

Personally, I would go with an established and dedicated home security company such as ADT. My reasons are many: Comcast is too new at this; adding that just gives CC waaaaay too much control over one's life; and there are horror reports all over the internet about the CC home security failing and the usual "have you power-cycled ..." responses from tech support.

I had ADT at another home I owned and it was great. Again, I would go with a dedicated home security company.

mikedz4
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

How much is adt a momtj for apartments?

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey to tshirt

Premium Member

to tshirt
said by tshirt:

In an emergency/urgent problem like gas leak, water leak,,etc no notice is required so some sort of alarm shutoff code must be shared.

Or you can just let them set it off. No need to share the code. This way you also have immediate notification that something just happened in your apartment instead of getting home to a big surprise.

/M

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt to mikedz4

Premium Member

to mikedz4
They lied to you. I have many friends with Home that only rent in Philly.

And - don't listen to many people here about "Comcast being too new".

We've had the system almost 18 months now. We love it. You can arm and disarm from your phone, laptop, etc instead of the gateway if you choose. The gateway can also sit on a dock if you don't want it drilled into a wall (which is what we did). You can view the cameras (if you get that package) - and control in home lighting.

The service is fantastic compared to the garbage we had with ADT.

mikedz4
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

how much does it cost for equipment and installation? Also can you watch cameras on demand or do they have to be triggered to be viewed?

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

You should start off with explaining what services you want, and then people can make recommendations.

mikedz4
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

On demand access to video feeds. Ability to disarm remotely eitger by app, phone or key chair.
medbuyer
join:2003-11-20
Memphis, TN

medbuyer to SeattleMatt

to SeattleMatt
said by SeattleMatt:

They lied to you. I have many friends with Home that only rent in Philly.

And - don't listen to many people here about "Comcast being too new".

We've had the system almost 18 months now. We love it. You can arm and disarm from your phone, laptop, etc instead of the gateway if you choose. The gateway can also sit on a dock if you don't want it drilled into a wall (which is what we did). You can view the cameras (if you get that package) - and control in home lighting.

The service is fantastic compared to the garbage we had with ADT.

you can't disregard the fact that they've been in the home security business for only a few years since they saw the demand for it.

ADT and other known home security companies have been in business longer than Comcast and everybody knows it. Even local companies have been in this business longer.

Now, in your case, you just love it since it is way better than your standard ADT. But if you shopped around, you will find that there are other companies better and or cheaper than ADT.

cheeseman
@comcast.net

cheeseman

Anon

The provider really doesn't matter as much as the monitoring service.

In Philly, I believe Comcast uses the COPS monitors. »copsmonitoring.com/

The system itself is iControl, which is used by both Xfinity Home and ADT Pulse. As well as most other cable companies.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to mikedz4

Premium Member

to mikedz4
I installed a DSC Alexor system myself (that I bought online) and found a local alarm company that was willing to take over the panel. It is monitored by a traditional phone line. I live in a rented duplex. If there was an emergency, i'd like to know, besides if someone opens the door, the cat may make a run for freedom and fight with the strays. If the landlord asks for the code, i'll give it to her. My system is wireless and the components mount with wall anchors.

I have the Comcast home automation package though ($9.99/month).
Comcast Guy
join:2008-01-16
Harrisburg, PA

Comcast Guy to mikedz4

to mikedz4
I have the Xfinity Home. I have 2 door sensors and 1 window sensor. We have one camera and a motion detector. We have the tablet and a wall keypad as well.

I can vouch that it does work well, as while I was out of state, I got a call that the motion detector went off. The camera took pictures at that exact time and sent them to me. I disarmed it from my phone with ease. Apparently the cat knocked over a large object and tripped it.

I do rent, but it is a townhouse, not an apartment. When I was working at Comcast (left about a year ago), we were told that apartments were NOT eligible. It had to be a house. Rent or own did not matter. I am unsure if that has changed but that is the way it was.

mikedz4
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

ok. How much is installation and equipment? I've had different answers. A few people told me it is possible while others said no apartments.
If it's not available which is the best solution? I want to be able to pull up my video feed whenever I want. Like if I am away I want to be able to see what my cat is doing or if he destroyed the apartment.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

Mike-
As far as install costs - only way to know would be to call. Ironically a promo just ran on CSN as I was typing this for the service...LOL

As far as the cameras - yes, you can pull up the video feed whenever you want - either via your phone or on the computer (or even on the gateway). You can set it to snap pictures, or an actual video stream.

When you set up your door / window sensors - you can also set up rules.

For example - every time specific doors open in our home, the rule is set to record 15 seconds of that video and store it. We can then access it anytime we want via the History. I always thought it was funny to watch the dog to walk out the back door....

cheeseman
@comcast.net

cheeseman to mikedz4

Anon

to mikedz4
If all you want is video monitoring, perhaps look into a Dropcam. You can stream it for free, and they have a couple monthly DVR packages.

mikedz4
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

I also want to make sure no one breaks in. Thus also the nees for an on ddemand live video feed.

Will.install be paid.up front or on first bill?