pende_tim
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Andover, NJ
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast

iPhone 5s What are My Options

I am in the market for an iPhone 5s due to the quality of the camera.

Currently I have a Verizon line with an Unlimited data plan and am on "month to month" with them. Since I want to keep my unlimited I will be looking at a full price phone.

If I pay full retail will I get an unlocked device? I think I recall that a Verizon iPhone has the ability to be used on AT&T voice and also 4G data. Is this accurate? Can I immediately pop an AT&T/StraightTalk sim in the phone and use the AT&T network?

One further question: Would a subsidized device also be portable to AT&T?
--
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11

AFAIK, all Verizon phones that use LTE (so all phones) are unlocked. This was a condition of their purchase of the 700MHz spectrum. Edit: turns out that might not be the case, but the first sentence still holds: »www.theverge.com/2012/9/25/34056···cess-fcc

»www.idownloadblog.com/2013/09/27···nlocked/

So it doesn't matter if you buy a subsidized or unsubsidized Verizon iPhone, it will be unlocked.

One thing you need to watch out for is LTE bands. There are different models of iPhone sold depending on the carrier. Some are not "certified" to work on other carriers' LTE bands. Luckily, the Verizon iPhone does work on AT&T and T-Mobile LTE bands. The Sprint iPhone 5s may not (the Sprint one is locked anyway).
»www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

pende_tim
Premium
Andover, NJ

Thanks. Will I be able to do voice on AT&T with a Verizon phone as one is GSM and other is CDMA?
--
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11

Yes, the iPhone supports both CDMA and GSM. When you put the AT&T SIM in, it will switch to using GSM for voice.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

pende_tim
Premium
Andover, NJ

Thanks!