spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

j33zy

join:2014-02-13

Question about 32/5 profile and distance from VRAD

This seems like a trivial question, but with all the unique and individual situations for each setup I wanted to broaden the question to be general so that it might be applicable to more people:

If an individual is further than 2,200 feet and less than 3,000 feet from the VRAD is a 32/5 or any higher profile possible under the best of line conditions?

The reason I ask is this: I get the theory behind the physics involved here, yet it appears that in application things get significantly more complicated.

As a last matter to note I am somewhere on the latter end of that range 2,600-2,800 feet. Currently on the 25/2 with 18Mbs internet and 3HD/1SD profile AT&T Uverse service. Absolutely no errors on the line and utilizing the full 25/2 at any given time causes zero issues at all.

Any information that can provided would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT x1: Line is VDSL2 with FTTN

ILpt4U
Premium
join:2006-11-12
Lisle, IL
kudos:9
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

said by j33zy:

This seems like a trivial question, but with all the unique and individual situations for each setup I wanted to broaden the question to be general so that it might be applicable to more people:

If an individual is further than 2,200 feet and less than 3,000 feet from the VRAD is a 32/5 or any higher profile possible under the best of line conditions?
EDIT x1: Line is VDSL2 with FTTN

Yes, it is possible. Condition of the Copper plant, whether the VRAD is using F, K, or N VDSL2 Line Cards, condition of drop and inside wire feeding the modem, presence of any potential interference (ie, living close to a 50K Watt radio station transmitter is not good for VDSL2).

I have seen 40-50 Mbps @ 3K'+ before on a Single pair. And I've seen only 30 Mbps @ 2.4K' as well -- depends on other environmental factors, as well as the basic physics of copper pairs transmitting xDSL data signals

j33zy

join:2014-02-13

Thanks, your response is greatly appreciated. I'm glad to hear that you have seen such setups in practice. We have a tech coming out to the premise tomorrow to take a look at whether we can get something beyond the 25/2 profile that we're sitting at now. What I was worried about is some automatic rejection based upon one such criteria. It appears as though the VRAD line cards were upgraded recently from what I've been told [couple months ago or so] although I didn't have time to ask questions beyond what I heard at first.

Thanks again for your knowledge on the application side of things I appreciate the insight!

whamel
billhamel .net
Premium
join:2002-05-09
Hinsdale, IL
kudos:10
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·AT&T U-Verse
·Comcast
reply to j33zy

If your line looks good...and at minimum a line that can be conditioned if needed. To get the Power tier, 45 Mbps, a truck roll would be required. IF the tech can get 2 pairs that respond about the same and have similar line stats and MAX attainable rates that are in spec, your service should work great. As for instance...it is so unique per pair per install. AS ILpt4U See Profile states, "depends on other environmental factors, as well as the basic physics of copper pairs transmitting xDSL data signals". Each install is unique. I've seen terrible bonded stats at 1500 ft where they should look good. And I have seen users in the 3000-3500ft range get great stats, especially when using K cards.
As I said, you should have no problem....getting a KNOWLEDGEABLE line tech to come out, install the Power tier and...if u wanted ...have TV installed as well.
--
Hinsdale, IL - »www.billhamel.net

reply to j33zy

Would expect mot techs to follow guidelines, 32 or 55 requires 2200 feet or less.
Higher profiles for longer distances will be available when 17a and vectoring is released.

The premise tech is a low level employee expected to follow orders and instructions as given.
The outside lineman are higher and cannot install Uverse.

The company line is 2200 feet or less for 32M (24/3 Max Turbo) or 55 M (45/6 Power).

The tech cannot change profile, would have to chat to tier 2 for approval, only tier support could change profile for the tech.

So avoid the tech trip charge, call or chat for profile change, if denied then wait for 17a, vectoring.

ILpt4U
Premium
join:2006-11-12
Lisle, IL
kudos:9
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

said by my thoughts :

Would expect mot techs to follow guidelines, 32 or 55 requires 2200 feet or less.

Thats just it. It is a Guideline. Not an Absolute. 2500' of 22 gauge copper in a neighborhood built in the early-mid 2000s is probably going to have higher bandwidth available than 2200' of 26 gauge copper in downtown Chicago, where only God knows how old and beat up the copper is, or even a 50s/60s built neighborhood, where the copper is 50-60 years old

my thoughts is spot on with the guideline, though I thought the guideline was 2200-2300' range, and yes, Tech Support physically makes the provisioning change for the higher bandwidth profile, but they typically like a Field Tech on site to verify everything is optimal, and bandwidth readings meter versus modem

brookeKrige

join:2012-11-05
San Jose, CA
kudos:3
reply to j33zy

What speed tier does ATT online availability show your address qualifies for? Are you asking because it does not list 24M internet (32/5 profile) as available?

You probably have a 2wire gateway? You can run UVrealtime to get its own estimate of line distance (based on attenuation shown on broadband/stats web page of the gateway), and what profile it thinks your line qualifies for.

You could post that broadband/stats page (or UVrealtime results). Existing noise-margin and max-sync rate (and UVR's bit-loading graph) would help posters comment on your line conditions.