spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

avze

join:2013-08-19

[IE] IE 10 install without Internet connection?

Is there a way to install IE 10 without having an Internet connection?
Because I usually clean install Win7 without any Internet for security reasons and of course, Win7 comes with IE 8.

I have the IE 10 installer, but during the installation it attempts to pull its updates and therefore the installation fails without connection.

Can this be done without any net connection?

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3
Click for full size
If I remember, the installer should ask you a question if you want to install the updates or not. So, I am wondering if you don't have the full off-line installer of IE10.

Pictured above are the off-line install files for IE10 for Windows 7. If anything, you can verify the size of your installer to see if it matches mine.

I would think if the installer asked you the question, and you said no, you would then be able to install IE10 without being connected to the internet.

If you need to download the full offline installers, you can do so from this link

»windows.microsoft.com/en-us/inte···anguages

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

avze

I had the same installers as shown above from the official MS IE 10 download site here below with the same file sizes.
»www.microsoft.com/en-us/download···ils.aspx

Can someone just test this out without any internet connection at all?

I believe I used these files, and still I was not asked for any updates to install them or not. Can someone please verify this with no connection?

join:2014-02-01
reply to avze
Okay I'll be the one to ask .. WHY do you want IE if you don't have an Internet connection? If you are THAT paranoid it is best you stay off the Net anyway.

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
IE can be used for in-house network access.

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
reply to 85281231
The other option could be that the user may not want to connect to the internet until their specific set of software, which probably includes a virus scanner, have been installed. I see nothing wrong with trying to protect ones self and update specific OS software before going online.

--Brian

join:2014-02-01
Most of that has nothing to do with updating to IE10 .... I have not used an IE product for many years.

avze

1 edit
Plencenerb hit the nail on that one.

Yes indeed. Until I have my system locked down with AV software and firewall and all the IE settings (through Group Policy and via the Control Panel) I do not want to connect to the internet right after installing a Windows OS or ANY OS for that matter...
However, I do see a trend here with most programs were one installs a setup file, and then gathers the settings from the internet. I think Firefox does this to.
In the meantime, I searched all over for a solution, NOT POSSIBLE. Unless I download the IEAK 10 tool kit. Which is another can of worms to deal with.

Please, if anyone has ideas, please post. Or, if anyone can test out those setup files would be great. Because I do not recall asking me for any updates to install. Although, IE 8 does ask you, when you first launch a webpage at first time startup.
Thanks.
Expand your moderator at work

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
reply to avze

Re: [IE] IE 10 install without Internet connection?

I don't have access to a 2nd hard drive / system right now that I can test it out on, but I kind of remember seeing some kind of advanced options during the IE 10 install.

My current OS is Windows 8.1 Pro. If I get some time this weekend, I'll see if I can get a hold of a spare system and install Windows 7, and then try to do the install of IE10 while not connected to the internet, and see if I can help you out with this.

Thanks,

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

avze

Ok thanks. Ill wait.

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to avze
While caution is good, I think you're being excessively cautious.

1. Turn on the Windows firewall (probably on already)
2. Don't visit any web site except microsoft.com
3. Install IE
4. (and while you're there install Security Essentials)

The web doesn't jump out and get you: the risk starts with you pointing a web browser at some compromised site, or maybe reading infected email. So don't do that.

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
I agree with dave See Profile here. Nothing wrong with being cautious. However, is the OP going a bit to far? While we can discuss that for hours, it really comes down to how the OP feels, and if the OP feels that the actions they are taking are enough to protect them.

Back in the day, I think what the OP is doing would be warranted, as there was ways that "the web could jump out and get you". Nowadays, if you are behind any kind of Firewall (which, as has been pointed out, is on by default) or NAT router, you've got a good layer of security already in place.

To each their own I guess. However, that is part of what I will call the excitement of this field. It is always changing and growing. Each of us should always be open to listen to others suggestions and ideas, so that you yourself can remain current as much as you can.

I'll still do my best to try to help test this out this weekend, so that I can help answer the root question.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

LLigetfa

join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON
kudos:1
reply to dave
said by dave:

While caution is good, I think you're being excessively cautious...

I no longer deal with IE installs so not sure if WGA may be a factor here. Maybe MS wants to make sure that Windows is genuine?

Maybe the OP has an ulterior motive to not connect to the internet?
--
Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and formal education positively fortifies it. -- Stephen Vizinczey

Exidor
Premium
join:2001-05-04
Brampton, ON
reply to avze
It appears that even the "full offline installer" for IE 10 still requires at least six prerequisite updates. (Of course one would require another computer that is online in order to download the needed updates.)

When you install Internet Explorer 10 for Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) or Windows Server 2012, the installer program tries to automatically install prerequisite updates. If this part of the installation fails, Internet Explorer stops the installation process. In this situation, try one of the following methods to resolve your problem.

Prerequisites for installing Internet Explorer 10 in Windows 7 SP1

»support.microsoft.com/kb/2818833

also refers to this article...

Can't install Internet Explorer 10 in Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2

»support.microsoft.com/kb/2820688/en-us#

vectravl400
Premium
join:2008-01-16
Didsbury, AB
Reviews:
·TELUS
reply to avze
Try the WSUS Offline Update tool.

»www.wsusoffline.net/

It lets you download and all updates and services for several different Windows versions and stores them in a folder that can be copied to a usb drive along with an executable to install in proper order. It even lets you pick between different IE versions.

I'm not the developer, just a very satisfied user.

ajwees41
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE
reply to avze
so why not just install IE 10 after you set up your firewall and antivirus? How are you going to install those?