spc
Search similar:

uniqs
squawk77
join:2014-02-14
DE

squawk77

Blocked by ISP for using a VPN?

Hello, hope I put this in the right place. I have lurked this great forum from time to time but I can't find the answer to this problem.

My Windows 7 desktop won't connect to the internet. My Apple devices still work fine on WiFi. Windows troubleshoot says DNS server is not responding.

I hadn't changed any setting lately, but I was streaming CBC Olympics with a VPN in Germany. I don't speak German so I have to wait until Monday or longer to get help..

I can post a screenshot of the ipconfig (is there any info I should hide on that?) Thanks in advance for any help
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

I assume you are using Safari on the Apple devices. Try using a different browser than the one you are using on the desktop. I know this sounds nuts, but I have been getting a lot of DNS poisoning lately using Google Chrome or IE. I have to switch to other browsers(Firefox, Safari, or Opera) to get rid of it. Your problem may be similar.
squawk77
DE

squawk77

Thanks, I do use Chrome on all systems. I tried using the other browsers with the same problem. I just turned on my dusty PS3 and updated it via wire connection. I double checked it's not on WiFi, so it seems only the 1 PC has the problem.

Has anyone ever heard of an ISP blocking a PC for using VPN?

I was just trying to watch the Olympics in English, but they are pretty strict about the internet in Germany (people get letters from lawyers for illegal downloads here and half of youtube is blocked..) Is it safe to post my ipconfig screen online?
davidhoffman
Premium Member
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

I have never heard of an ISP blocking for VPN, but I have heard of blocking if they suspect you are part of a botnet or your computer indicates it is infected with a virus or other malicious code. I would run spybot and a full computer antivirus scan of all disks on that computer.
davidhoffman

davidhoffman to squawk77

Premium Member

to squawk77
Does the problem occur for both wired and wireless?
squawk77
DE

squawk77

The problem is only on the 1 wired Windows 7 PC. WiFi still works fine and wired works fine for the PS3. I even used the VPN to watch USA vs Russia today on MacBook over WiFi.

I was using a VPN on the PC before it happened. Maybe the VPN software might have caused this? I'm going to uninstall the VPN software and reboot.. and reinstall the network adaptor driver if I can fine them..
davidhoffman
Premium Member
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

Yes, it could be a corrupted file.
squawk77
DE

squawk77

FIXED!

First I found the name of my ethernet card and its driver (didn't need to!) Then I uninstalled Realtek Ethernet Driver, Microsoft 6to4 Adapter, Microsoft ISATAP drivers.. reboot with the drivers ready on a USB stick.. Windows 7 however connected to the internet or somehow reinstalled the drivers immediately on its own

Thanks for the help
davidhoffman
Premium Member
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

Windows 7 has a set of drivers commonly in use and will try to match one in the set to the hardware. Glad to read that your idea worked. Enjoy the rest of the Olympics in English.