how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

Don't you hate when the vendor does not know their own product?

I spent a better part of two days trying to fix something because the vendor told me to do it the wrong way.

I am going home now.

PoloDude
Premium,VIP
join:2006-03-29
Northport, NY
kudos:3
That or a customer who thinks they know your product better than you.

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
said by PoloDude:

In this case apparently we did. Or rather our DBA did.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
said by donoreo:

said by PoloDude:

In this case apparently we did. Or rather our DBA did.

I've had that happen far to many times to trust vendors much anymore
--
semper idem
1KTzRMxN1a2ATrtAAvbmEnMBoY3E2kHtyv

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
Premium,MVM
join:2008-01-16
Chandler, AZ
kudos:1
reply to donoreo
said by donoreo:

I spent a better part of two days trying to fix something because the vendor told me to do it the wrong way.

engage supoort, engineering, or the sales engineer? each of these give different levels of support and knowledge.

q.
--
"...if I in my north room dance naked, grotesquely before my mirror waving my shirt round my head and singing softly to myself..."

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
reply to donoreo
Sounds like a vendor I mentioned here a few weeks ago.

They were very upset that my team had installed something without their consent and they demanded to know why we had put the Software Protection Service on all of their servers.

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:19
reply to donoreo
I find there's usually two standard reasons for this :

a) said vendor just has s**ty / nonexistent documentation or training on their product.

b) said vendor has too many variants / variations / combinations for their product(s) that one cannot
possibly know everything about it.

But I hear where you're coming from donoreo See Profile

Regards

howardfine

join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO
Reviews:
·AT&T Southwest
reply to donoreo
ATT insists my modem is bad. Tells me to go to their store and buy a model 3660. It's on their web site.

I go to their store and, not only do they not have one, they never heard of it before. They insist I buy a 7720 instead. I decide to wait a day.

The next day I go to buy one from the same store and they don't have one. Nor do they have a way to check the inventory of the ATT store down the street.

exocet_cm
Free at last, free at last
Premium
join:2003-03-23
New Orleans, LA
reply to donoreo
said by donoreo:

I am going home now.

Yup. I just finished a three-week long battle with Dell with both in-person techs, email, and telephone calls. Had to call on friends within Dell for reinforcements too. It was not a fun battle but in the end guess who prevailed... mwuah.

Glad that we have friends within the company otherwise I'd still be fighting it out.

said by PoloDude:

This happens all the time in our line of work and it is a PITA. All of us in our unit decided, recently, that it is better for us to just walk away then try to explain it correctly. This almost always results in a follow-up with "I apologize for [insert incorrect behavior here]. Would you mind doing [whatever we were initially doing] for me?"
--
"I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates
My wife's Etsy shop: »www.laurenCball.com ; After-hours tech: »www.JLTCtech.com ; My blog: »www.johndball.com

daveinpoway
Premium
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA
kudos:2
reply to howardfine
Do you mean Model 3360?

I picked up one of these at a yard sale a few weeks ago, but I have not had time to hook it up, so I don't have any opinions about it yet.

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to donoreo
said by donoreo:

Don't you hate when the vendor does not know their own product?

Yep. One of our admin's had that issue with Intel last week, who's latin American support is grossly incompetent and doesn't even recognize models of their own hardware... so it gets scary when you're calling them for support on that hardware.

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
reply to donoreo
In our case this is highly specialized software, it is nothing near consumer grade. We pay huge support fees.

i2Fuzzy

join:2009-02-25
Fort Worth, TX
reply to donoreo
Yup. I worked in the Check Point TAC for a year, and while I started out pretty dumb I quickly learned. After leaving the TAC and working for clients, I have learned a lot. Occasionally I have to call into the TAC for one reason or another, and more often than not I end up having to do a little bit of light training.

Of course this happens after hours when escalation or product teams aren't available. If I'm calling in, I need to speak to someone who has been there for a while, not someone who is near the same level of experience that I was when I started there.
--
Ali
Check Point Certified Security Expert

Billy Brethr

join:2005-04-01
San Antonio, TX
reply to donoreo
One of my computer client's called me in to look at their high-volume Xerox printer. The Xerox rep said they were going to have to replace it next week because after an entire day of troubleshooting, he just COULDN'T figure out why it no longer did network printing. He even cleared all the settings and still it wouldn't work.

Y'know, that whole notion of hiring the mentally retarded and giving them a chance at self-sufficiency, independent living, yadda, yadda, yadda sounds real good as a theoretical concept. We can gush "ooo" and "aah" at how WONDERFUL that whole idea is when we are listening to some politician's speech, or some actor at an awards ceremony, but when that knuckle-dragging, slack-jawed retard is working for Xerox and servicing my customer's highly mission critical network printers, it's not such a "wonderful concept", in fact I think it would be better to park that dumb-f*** in front of a big screen TV blaring cartoons and hand him some high-fructose junk food to keep him occupied, and away from my network.

Due to IP address conflicts and other strange problems on the network, due in part to the uptick in mobile devices getting IP Addresses assigned by DHCP, I changed all static devices on the network to static IP's outside the DHCP pool, leaving the DHCP pool to "stranger" devices that come in from somewhere else. The Xerox Tech, rocket scientist that he is, just couldn't wrap his little pea-brain around the fact that the IP Address field was no longer set to "Auto" like all the other devices he has ever laid his hands on, and so that is the first thing that he messed with, and given is over-inflated belief of his own competence (due to being told that he was "good enough" and "adequate" his whole life, when in fact he'd been substandard and deficient the entire time), it was also the LAST thing he thought about changing once he starting messing this up.

So, not only did I have to reconfigure the Networking section of the Xerox's settings, I also had to figure out how to configure all the other settings that Mr. Affirmative had pooched. Luckily this was not too difficult, as it only requires a bit of experience, a dab of common sense.

Companies unleash these retards on unsuspecting, and paying, customers all the time, and unless someone that has a clue comes around to tell the truth, these retards will condemn the hardware, the network, the client, everything and anything in order to avoid having to confront the truth of the matter, which is that the street-level Tech doesn't have a clue about how to do their job.

But they do manage to get off work at 4:00 pm on Friday, every single week.

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
reply to donoreo
How about when you have to troubleshoot a vendor's hosting environment?

"Hey vendor, you've got SSL chaining issues!"

Wily_One
Premium
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA
reply to Billy Brethr
Tell us how you really feel.

Then again all my printers are static, so the concept of DHCP being the norm in the first place is odd.

dwiecking

join:2002-10-28
Bethany Beach, DE
Setting up static IP addresses in the DHCP range is asking for trouble.