telcodad

MVM

Linksys "E" Routers Targeted by Mysterious New Worm

FYI - Just saw this warning about Linksys' "E" product line routers:

Linksys Routers Targeted by Mysterious New Worm
By Jill Scharr, Tom's Guide - February 14, 2014
»www.tomsguide.com/us/mal ··· 316.html
quote:
The good news is that a simple router reboot will get rid of the worm, and turning off any remote-administration feature in your router's settings will prevent the worm from being able to attack in the first place. Many routers have remote administration activated by default.

So far, only Linksys' "E" product line, which includes the E900, E2000, E3200 and E4200 models, has been shown to be affected. Devices that have upgraded to the latest firmware, 2.0.06, should be safe, but some earlier models whose support has expired, such as the E1000, can't get that upgrade.

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

Well it has me worried. What do ya know. My E4200 v1 is just hitting 3 years at the start of March. I am also running the latest firmware 1.0.05 for it. Think I will be safe? I have remote admin disabled btw from the start.
hardly
Premium Member
join:2004-02-10
USA

hardly to telcodad

Premium Member

to telcodad

Re: Linksys "E" Routers Targeted by Mysterious New Worm

more info here:

»Suspected Mass Exploit Against Linksys E1000 / E1200 Routers
Sentinel
Premium Member
join:2001-02-07
Florida

Sentinel to telcodad

Premium Member

to telcodad
I have an old E3000 with 1.0.04 firmware

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-19
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer to telcodad

Premium Member

to telcodad
I have the E4200v2. Remote Administration on mine is turned off by default, and it has always been off. I don't have the latest firmware, for I have the last firmware version before Cisco started that cloud stuff to upgrade. I didn't want to do that. I hope that I am still safe.

Does anyone know if Belkin now is supporting firmware updates for my router? If so, where do I get a firmware update from? Should I upgrade the firmware if I can? The router is still running pretty well with the firmware that I have (2.0.37), but there are a few glitches.

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

join:2001-08-19

Sunny to telcodad

to telcodad
See also ---> »[OOL] Worm affecting different models of Linksys routers
michealm
join:2004-04-03
Spokane, WA

michealm to lordpuffer

to lordpuffer
»downloads.linksys.com/do ··· .SSA.zip

E4200v2 Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Firmware
11/19/2012

Ver.2.1.39.145204

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-19
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer

Premium Member

Thanks. My E4200v2 has turned into a major problem, which I blame on the hardware. I'm still using it, but am probably going to pull the trigger on the WRT1900AC any day now.

I've been following the reviews of it and it seems to be mostly positive except for the open source issue.
michealm
join:2004-04-03
Spokane, WA

michealm

I know the feeling, Im actually going to try and get my hands on the Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 Smart Wi-Fi. Having a household of PC gamers, and beings we watch alot of streamed content, I think it will work great.