spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

PA292

join:2013-06-02

How can I beef up security on my ActionTec?

I've just found out that a lot of people on here think that the Verizon modem/router is lax in the security area and people prefer to rig up their own better quality setups.

Actiontec Security considerations

What configurations can I make to my MI424WR to make it as secure as can be, while I wait to get a third party device and figure out how to set it up.

Note that I do not use WiFi and already have it disabled.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11

1 edit
Most people don't use a third-party router for that reason. The Actiontec is no more secure or less secure than other routers (unless you believe Verizon having access to your router is a problem).

The FAQ you linked to applies to all routers. Actiontecs haven't used WEP as default for awhile either.

If you want to be "secure", make sure you're using WPA or ideally WPA2 for wireless security, turn off UPnP if possible (although I don't see this as the big security risk other people do), and turn the firewall on.

But unless you have a specific problem with the Actiontec (like Verizon having access), there's little reason to switch to another SOHO router solely for security.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

Nick5

@verizon.net
Yeah the main reason for switching tend to be WiFi performance and performance for certain games and torrenting with some of the older actiontecs.

Also changing the router's administrative password is a good idea.

Sava333

@verizon.net
reply to PA292
said by PA292:

What configurations can I make to my MI424WR to make it as secure as can be, while I wait to get a third party device and figure out how to set it up.

Note that I do not use WiFi and already have it disabled.

You can use this link to help check how secure your router is: »www.grc.com/shieldsup

Click the 'Proceed' button and then you'll see a screen with a bunch of tests. They even have a new test for UPnP. I recommend running the 'File Sharing', 'Common Ports' and 'All Service Ports' tests.

You'll probably pass everything except the ping test, which you can also solve by doing this:

Enter your router settings (192.168.1.1 by default)
Go to Firewall Settings, then Remote Administration
You want to uncheck the box that says 'Allow Incoming WAN ICMP Echo Requests'

Once you do that, you should be completely invisible to any hackers scanning your IP range and if you've passed the rest of the tests, all of your ports should also be completely invisible.

sivran
Seamonkey's back
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
kudos:1
Enamor with "stealth" is inversely proportional to knowledge of TCP/IP.
--
Oh, Opera, what have you done?

mikev
Premium
join:2002-05-04
Leesburg, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS
·Callcentric

1 recommendation

reply to Sava333
said by Sava333 :

You want to uncheck the box that says 'Allow Incoming WAN ICMP Echo Requests'

A note that if you do this, you also become invisible to this site's monitoring and smokeping features, which some will use as a gauge to see if there are any regular/repeatable issues with their internet service. But if you don't use those features of this site, then don't worry about it.

floridafuzz
Premium
join:2008-02-23
Hope, RI
Thank you for answering my question before I even posted it.