share rss forum feed

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to Oleg

Re: [FireFox] I am married to Firefox

How long do you think about:config is going to be around?

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
It'll be around, even if it means getting to it via an add-on

Oleg
Premium
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL
kudos:2
said by darcilicious:

It'll be around, even if it means getting to it via an add-on

I agree with you %100 on that. I do not think that about:config will be taken away anytime soon.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
reply to Oleg
said by Oleg:

And you could tweak Firefox the way you want to.

You can tweak/customize your spouse??? Wish we could all do that
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

Oleg
Premium
Birmingham, AL
That's is if you know how to tweak and customize FF.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to Oleg
I hope you are right but when I read mods and other extremely loyal Fx old timers at Mozillazine speculating and saying otherwise with the most extreme vehemence against Mozilla ....well...I never thought I would see the day that they would spit such vitriol (even though it is deserved) against Mozilla. When they, of all Fx users, speak out like this and some devs have passionately joined them in the criticism and, in addition to many other things, have stated that Mozilla acted to add ads to Fx without even bothering to notify Mozillians of their decision hence they were caught totally unaware and shunned as far as being asked for an opinion, feedback, etc. well......

I think Mozilla's actions indicate that major decisions are now made unilaterally, in secret, and NOTHING is sacred now about Fx. First Mozilla said those ads would just be there until the new user had time to surf and populate the tiles with their favorite sites. A few days later, Mozilla amended that to state that the ad tiles will be there PERMANENTLY.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

chachazz
Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:9
Reviews:
·TELUS

1 edit
said by Mele20:

I hope you are right but when I read mods and other extremely loyal Fx old timers at Mozillazine speculating and saying otherwise with the most extreme vehemence against Mozilla ....well...I never thought I would see the day that they would spit such vitriol (even though it is deserved) against Mozilla. When they, of all Fx users, speak out like this and some devs have passionately joined them in the criticism and, in addition to many other things, have stated that Mozilla acted to add ads to Fx without even bothering to notify Mozillians of their decision hence they were caught totally unaware and shunned as far as being asked for an opinion, feedback, etc. well......

I think Mozilla's actions indicate that major decisions are now made unilaterally, in secret, and NOTHING is sacred now about Fx. First Mozilla said those ads would just be there until the new user had time to surf and populate the tiles with their favorite sites. A few days later, Mozilla amended that to state that the ad tiles will be there PERMANENTLY.

who cares? just turn it off...so far, tiles can be easily turned off with click of the [edit]button tile icon....

Most distressed are (no doubt) desktop users ... desktop is not the future ...Mozilla is moving into the future ... devices, phones, tablets and all that comes with it...being dependent on one revenue stream (google) is dangerous.
--
Gladiator Security Forum

EdmundGerber

join:2010-01-04
kudos:1
said by chachazz:

who cares? just turn it off...so far, tiles can be easily turned off with click of the [edit]button tile icon....

Most distressed are (no doubt) desktop users ... desktop is not the future ...Mozilla is moving into the future ... devices, phones, tablets and all that comes with it...being dependent on one revenue stream (google) is dangerous.

Pissing off your userbase is just as dangerous - you can have all the ads you want, but if no one is looking....

anonomeX

@comcast.net
reply to Mele20
Maybe some enterprising dev will come up with a new extension: move the "Directory Tiles" [ads] to an about:ads page and leave the New Tab page the way it was--all history, all the time. Mozillians rejoice!

anonomeX

@comcast.net
reply to CCat
Oopsy... I just bought an HP Chromebook 14 -- does that count as "cheating"?

Can I still use Ms. Foxy (Enji Night) on my desktop?

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

2 recommendations

reply to chachazz
Wow! If your attitude is the majority attitude of the Mozilla community then Fx is DEAD.

It is quite foolish and shortsighted to announce that the desktop is dead. It is NOT dead and is not going to become dead. Power users are not gone either. If anything needs to go it is wasting money on that new mobile Fx browser. If Mozilla wants to go down the fool's road in that regard then they should get their money for that from those who will actually use it...in other words...charge those users for it.

Mozilla has something great going with Enterprise community and they are evidently insane enough to now be making ominous noises about killing it! I'm sure you agree with that too as those are mostly desktop users.

Deliberate obtuseness does not fit you well and I am, frankly, quite surprised at your attitude. Just turn the tiles off?? And what do we do when Mozilla is emboldened by our lack of caring (as you have stated is the correct attitude for all of us) to make the tiles where they cannot be turned off?

--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

dabonz

join:2012-05-17
Ottawa, ON

1 recommendation

reply to Oleg
FF all the way

goalieskates
Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big
reply to Oleg
said by Oleg:

Exactly. And you could tweak Firefox the way you want to. Can't do it with other browsers.

Of course you can, if you use Pale Moon. Which as EdmundGerber stated above is Firefox without the fat.

But if I couldn't have Pale Moon, I'd simply stop updating Firefox ever.

There is always a choice - always. Perhaps you and Mozilla should remember that. Preferably before Firefox is "improved" out of relevance.

Oleg
Premium
Birmingham, AL
Well we are talking about Chrome not the Firefox builds.

goalieskates
Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big
said by Oleg:

Well we are talking about Chrome not the Firefox builds.

Talk about tunnel vision. Maybe you should worry about Chrome less and Mozilla more.

If Mozilla loses customers, does it really matter if it's to Chrome or IE or other Firefox builds? Either way, they're lost and Mozilla's market share and reputation (and potential future sales) are diminished.

Users are mobile. You can't force them to love you. And at some point you cross a line where the good is outweighed by the bad, and the users start weighing their options.

Oleg
Premium
Birmingham, AL
Mozilla losing market share and reputation, because of Chrome and IE is having more population, because they are coming up with New versions.

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium
join:2007-08-13
Philippines
Reviews:
·PLDT
·Comcast
reply to goalieskates
said by goalieskates:

said by Oleg:

Exactly. And you could tweak Firefox the way you want to. Can't do it with other browsers.

Of course you can, if you use Pale Moon.

True only if you use Windows. None Windows users need not apply.

Posted using Pale Moon in Windows 7 running in a virtual machine hosted in Slackware Linux.

I am impressed with my first run of Pale Moon. After the install I synced it with my sync server. Nice! That said, I will stick to the real McCoy for now, biggest drawback for me is Windows only. That is a show stopper for me.
--
Chris
Living in Paradise!!

Curiosity

join:2001-10-01
Dawson Creek, BC
With Mac OS, my only alternative is SeaMonkey. Fortunately, I like it.

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium
Philippines
Reviews:
·PLDT
·Comcast
said by Curiosity:

With Mac OS, my only alternative is SeaMonkey. Fortunately, I like it.

I use Firefox in OS X.
--
Chris
Living in Paradise!!

bcool
Premium
join:2000-08-25
The Ozarks
reply to Oleg
Fast & totally stable---if I never got to use another browser but Mozilla Firefox "24.3.0", I'd be just happy with that. Leave the "future" stuff for the kiddies!

kickass69

join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
reply to Oleg
I suspect this will change when Australis lands in the general release cycle.

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium
Philippines
Not for me. Still be using Firefox.
--
Chris
Living in Paradise!!

Oleg
Premium
Birmingham, AL
reply to kickass69
Not for me ether. Even when Mozilla market share drops to %10 of popularity i would still use Firefox.

Bobby_Peru
Premium
join:2003-06-16
reply to bcool
said by bcool:

Fast & totally stable-

Now that certainly is marriage material!

bcool
Premium
join:2000-08-25
The Ozarks
I should've said...easy & totally stable