spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Astieroth
join:2005-03-17
Bethlehem, PA

Astieroth

[DVR] Upgrading Motorola DCH3416 DVR box in LV market

I have had the same Motorola DCH3416 DVR box for about 5 years now from RCN. At the time I received it, I was told it was the only box they provided that offered an HDMI connection. I was wondering if RCN provides any different cable box models now-a-days that are DVR and have HDMI?

The only reason I ask really is that I know back in early football season this year I was watching HD broadcasts and was receiving surround sound (as confirmed by my receiver) but by the end of the season and even now, all broadcasts are now PCM (stereo) no matter what channel or broadcast I try? Maybe I am just delirious?

I checked the Video/Audio settings menu for the cable box and digital audio is still set to Dolby (AC3). So that is correct. I realize very few broadcasts are surround sound, but its been months since I have come across any.

I think maybe it is time for a swap. In the Lehigh Valley market.

Thanks guys.
Dawk2013
join:2013-02-07
Easton, PA

Dawk2013

The TIVO boxes all have HDMI and they are LEAGUES ahead of the motorola boxes.

Pacomartin
join:2013-03-18
Bethlehem, PA

Pacomartin to Astieroth

to Astieroth
said by Astieroth:

I think maybe it is time for a swap. In the Lehigh Valley market.

Thanks guys.

I have a question first. Do you have only one TV hooked up to your DVR, and would you like more?

Depending on your answer, it may make more sense to wait until RCN gets the new TiVo Roamio DVRs.

hjdiet8
join:2004-02-12
Bethlehem, PA

hjdiet8 to Astieroth

to Astieroth
Dude... get a Tivo... you won't be sorry.

Pacomartin
Bethlehem, PA

Pacomartin

If you have a complex home setup, it may make sense to wait a few more months until RCN adopts the Roamio model.

If you have a simple setup with a single TV, then it probably won't matter.
Astieroth
Bethlehem, PA

Astieroth to Pacomartin

to Pacomartin
said by Pacomartin:

I have a question first. Do you have only one TV hooked up to your DVR, and would you like more?

I only have one TV on the DVR and that is all I need. The only other TV in the house is an old Sony.

I guess I will switch to a Tivo box, never really considered that.

Do I call and have someone come out, or can I just take the old Motorola box over to Avenue C and do the swap there?

Pacomartin
Bethlehem, PA

Pacomartin

said by Astieroth:

I only have one TV on the DVR and that is all I need. The only other TV in the house is an old Sony.

As long as you are not going to purchasing tablets in the next five years.

One other question is do you have internet or an available telephone line? I think that the TiVo is much more difficult to schedule (like an old VCR) without internet.
Astieroth
Bethlehem, PA

Astieroth

Internet is covered. I have jacks all throughout the house.

hjdiet8
join:2004-02-12
Bethlehem, PA

hjdiet8 to Astieroth

to Astieroth
I thought RCN had to come to your house to install a TIVO - I don't think you can just go the Ave C and do a swap there... better call them to make sure.

Pacomartin
Bethlehem, PA

1 edit

Pacomartin

said by hjdiet8:

I thought RCN had to come to your house to install a TIVO - I don't think you can just go the Ave C and do a swap there... better call them to make sure.

I tried to change two Motorola DCT700 for a TiVo PREVIEW, at Avenue C and they had nothing there. I thought that they would at least give you a PREVIEW as a chimp could do the install. So they are very unlikely to give you a DVR.

I don't think RCN regularly trades in functioning equipment at no charge, unless the equipment is ancient and doesn't work anymore (like a DOCSIS 1.0 modem). I think it has to be a service call.

Here is a quote from RCN that says they will have the new TiVo's in first half of 2014 if you decide to wait.
said by rcnman:

We just got them into our labs a couple of week ago, and received a lot to get out to the markets.. This product is still being baked internally over here , but without a doubt will be offered as some point in the first 1/2 of 2014.

In and Out of the home streaming is still being heavily discussed as well, and unfortunately I don't have a position on that yet. Whatever the position is for the in/out home streaming on the T6 will apply to RCN provided and RETAIL acquired Streams as well.

New Tron
@rcn.com

New Tron to hjdiet8

Anon

to hjdiet8
You can pick up a standard tiVo premiere at Avenue C no problem. I've done it twice. You can't pick up A TiVo Q, or TiVo preview at Avenue C, they require a truck roll. Mostly because the tech has to install a Point of entry filter.
Astieroth
Bethlehem, PA

Astieroth

So, as always, nothing seems simple.

I called RCN customer service who said they have two Tivo models for me - the Premiere and the Premiere Quad. After telling me the difference, I chose the basic Premiere.

The CSR rep then spent 5 minutes trying to find the code and set up my account for it, to no avail. He said they would have to report the issue to their IT and call me back. As I was leaving for the day, I asked for a call back the next. He told me then I wouldn't hear back from RCN for at least a day.

That was last Tuesday and I have heard nothing since. Pretty much loathing calling back because I know it will involve more fumbling around and time wasting.

I guess I have some magical special account that doesn't allow changes easily.

Pacomartin
Bethlehem, PA

Pacomartin

said by Astieroth:

I called RCN customer service who said they have two Tivo models for me - the Premiere and the Premiere Quad. After telling me the difference, I chose the basic Premiere.

I assume the Premiere is 2 tuners and 75 hours of HD recording.

If you have only one TV attached, and you don't record that much, then 2 tuners are sufficient. Normally a family has conflicting requests, and some tuners are used for satellite TV.

You can purchase an additional 1 terabyte drive for a little more than $100 to give you more storage. You might want to balance that against renting a more expensive model which may cost you more than $100 per year.

Send them an e-mail saying you are still waiting for your call back.