All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
avze
join:2013-08-19

1 edit

avze to 85281231

to 85281231

Re: [IE] IE 10 install without Internet connection?

Plencenerb hit the nail on that one.

Yes indeed. Until I have my system locked down with AV software and firewall and all the IE settings (through Group Policy and via the Control Panel) I do not want to connect to the internet right after installing a Windows OS or ANY OS for that matter...
However, I do see a trend here with most programs were one installs a setup file, and then gathers the settings from the internet. I think Firefox does this to.
In the meantime, I searched all over for a solution, NOT POSSIBLE. Unless I download the IEAK 10 tool kit. Which is another can of worms to deal with.

Please, if anyone has ideas, please post. Or, if anyone can test out those setup files would be great. Because I do not recall asking me for any updates to install. Although, IE 8 does ask you, when you first launch a webpage at first time startup.
Thanks.

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

I don't have access to a 2nd hard drive / system right now that I can test it out on, but I kind of remember seeing some kind of advanced options during the IE 10 install.

My current OS is Windows 8.1 Pro. If I get some time this weekend, I'll see if I can get a hold of a spare system and install Windows 7, and then try to do the install of IE10 while not connected to the internet, and see if I can help you out with this.

Thanks,

--Brian
avze
join:2013-08-19

avze

Ok thanks. Ill wait.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave to avze

Premium Member

to avze
While caution is good, I think you're being excessively cautious.

1. Turn on the Windows firewall (probably on already)
2. Don't visit any web site except microsoft.com
3. Install IE
4. (and while you're there install Security Essentials)

The web doesn't jump out and get you: the risk starts with you pointing a web browser at some compromised site, or maybe reading infected email. So don't do that.

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

I agree with dave See Profile here. Nothing wrong with being cautious. However, is the OP going a bit to far? While we can discuss that for hours, it really comes down to how the OP feels, and if the OP feels that the actions they are taking are enough to protect them.

Back in the day, I think what the OP is doing would be warranted, as there was ways that "the web could jump out and get you". Nowadays, if you are behind any kind of Firewall (which, as has been pointed out, is on by default) or NAT router, you've got a good layer of security already in place.

To each their own I guess. However, that is part of what I will call the excitement of this field. It is always changing and growing. Each of us should always be open to listen to others suggestions and ideas, so that you yourself can remain current as much as you can.

I'll still do my best to try to help test this out this weekend, so that I can help answer the root question.

--Brian
LLigetfa
join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON

LLigetfa to dave

to dave
said by dave:

While caution is good, I think you're being excessively cautious...

I no longer deal with IE installs so not sure if WGA may be a factor here. Maybe MS wants to make sure that Windows is genuine?

Maybe the OP has an ulterior motive to not connect to the internet?