Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Alakar
Facts do not cease to exist when ignored

join:2001-03-23
Milwaukee, WI
reply to Woody79_00

Re: Elder SCrolls Online NDA has been lifted!

If anybody still has a spare key for this weekends Beta test, I would greatly appreciate getting it. Been looking for something new and would definitely like to try it out.
--
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom; it is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." William Pitt the Younger

Koil
Premium
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC
kudos:2
said by Alakar:

If anybody still has a spare key for this weekends Beta test, I would greatly appreciate getting it. Been looking for something new and would definitely like to try it out.

Sent you a PM with a key.

Alakar
Facts do not cease to exist when ignored

join:2001-03-23
Milwaukee, WI
reply to Woody79_00
Thanks gaforces See Profile and Koil See Profile, downloading now.

bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state
reply to Woody79_00
Got about 5 hours played on my new toon, a summoning sorcerer with a bow and light armor, which is what I play in Skyrim. It is an odd combination, but I'm finding a decent rotation.
--
The world was movin' she was right there with it and she was

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
reply to Woody79_00
I started a couple new characters and played them out a bit. I am slowly finding something I enjoy. The thing I enjoy most about this game is flexibility. I am not trapped as a Warrior tank for instance. I had a fully armored battlemage yesterday and that was pretty awesome.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

MacBridger
Late to the party
Premium
join:2001-01-11
Morgantown, WV
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to Woody79_00
I have a spare key if anyone needs one.

The thing I have noticed with this latest patch is that I crash constantly. Talk to a NPC, crash. Come out of sneak, crash. Load a new area, crash. The previous patch worked flawlessly. Still a month til launch, they can fix it...
--
Mac Bridger (There, ya bald-headed, rocket rider!)
Fight Cancer! Join DSLR's Team Discovery

bionicRod
Premium
united state
said by MacBridger:

The thing I have noticed with this latest patch is that I crash constantly. Talk to a NPC, crash. Come out of sneak, crash. Load a new area, crash. The previous patch worked flawlessly. Still a month til launch, they can fix it...

That is odd, I haven't crashed once and I'm putting a lot of hours in. I had to /reloadui several times last night though, especially after conversations.
--

bionicRod
Premium
united state
reply to Woody79_00
I am really enjoying the questing. I just did a Mage's guild quest where I had to travel to Oblivion and deal with Sheogorath. Good stuff.
--

habya
Premium
join:2003-05-29
Huntsville, AL
reply to Woody79_00
If anyone has a spare code, would like to check it out. Thanks!

Koil
Premium
Irmo, SC
reply to MacBridger
Yeah, I don't think the client changed all that much. Might wanna check drivers and such.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
said by Koil:

Yeah, I don't think the client changed all that much. Might wanna check drivers and such.

I agree. No crashes here either. My brother and cousin are playing as well. No problems on their end either.
--

Ian
Premium
join:2002-06-18
ON
kudos:3
reply to Woody79_00
I only played for about 3 hours yesterday, but I saw nothing I liked. I can't see spending $70 + $15/month for it. I couldn't see spending $20 + 4$/month to be honest. Pass.

Mcrobrewer
Premium
join:2001-03-04
Trenton, NJ
Free to play within 6 months. Combat is boring as hell.

bionicRod
Premium
united state
said by Mcrobrewer:

I agree with the first part and completely disagree with the second. Best combat in an MMO for my money. Depends on what deck you build in a class/race/armor setup I guess.
--

Mcrobrewer
Premium
Trenton, NJ
said by bionicRod:

said by Mcrobrewer:

I agree with the first part and completely disagree with the second. Best combat in an MMO for my money. Depends on what deck you build in a class/race/armor setup I guess.

No it doesn't. Still left click hold.... right click block right and left click together. ...left click left left left blah blah blah.
--
Obama is a liar.... a cheat... a person of low moral character... the least common denominator...

bionicRod
Premium
united state

1 edit
said by Mcrobrewer:

No it doesn't. Still left click hold.... right click block right and left click together. ...left click left left left blah blah blah.

That is only your weapon's strong and light attacks, if that's all you got to I'd say you haven't played enough to say one way or another. I have yet to even use that right and left click together bit. Mostly it comes down to the 5 abilities and ultimate that you slot from you class/race/armor(edit)/weapon abilities.
--

Tirael
BOHICA
Premium
join:2009-03-18
Sacramento, CA
reply to Woody79_00
I will be streaming me messing around in ESO this weekend, in between homework. www.twitch.tv/tyraele
--
“Reality doesn't bite, rather our perception of reality bites.” - Anthony J. D'Angelo

bionicRod
Premium
united state
reply to Woody79_00
I played a dark elf sorcerer/archer toon to level 12, saw a lot I liked and quite a bit that I wasn't crazy about. I took some random screenshots of the first Ebonheart Pact quests, thought I would post them here.

Me and my minion

--

Mcrobrewer
Premium
Trenton, NJ
reply to bionicRod
said by bionicRod:

said by Mcrobrewer:

That is only your weapon's strong and light attacks, if that's all you got to I'd say you haven't played enough to say one way or another. I have yet to even use that right and left click together bit. Mostly it comes down to the 5 abilities and ultimate that you slot from you class/race/armor(edit)/weapon abilities.

You are right I needed to play more....

Unfortunately while better... not really worth the price of the game plus $15 a month...

GW2 has really pulled me away from paying a monthly fee.
--
Obama is a liar.... a cheat... a person of low moral character... the least common denominator...

bionicRod
Premium
united state
said by Mcrobrewer:

Unfortunately while better... not really worth the price of the game plus $15 a month...

I hear ya. ESO has taken quite a bit from GW2, and overall I like it a lot, but I still think the sub is going to be a hard sell.
--

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
said by bionicRod:

said by Mcrobrewer:

I hear ya. ESO has taken quite a bit from GW2, and overall I like it a lot, but I still think the sub is going to be a hard sell.

The only thing that will keep this game out of the F2P category will be its ability to release new content often.
--

Koil
Premium
Irmo, SC
reply to Woody79_00
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size

Ast1

@213.152.245.x
Actually, the PvP alone will likely be able to keep this game from F2P, seeing as no other game can match the experience. GW2 would be the closest but still pales in comparison and lets face it, the game was probably the most bland game I have played.
If ESO manage to keep regular updates as well, then $15 a month will be the biggest bargain ever.

I had assumed the game would go F2P within a year, but after playing more and seeing more as well as seeing a lot of the videos of those who got much higher than I, I actually think it will probably stay afloat on subs.
You could strip out most the game and just leave Cyrodil and that in itself would keep a lot of homeless PvPers paying, particularly those who still dwell on memories of DAoC

cat666

join:2013-04-26
reply to Woody79_00
I watched a few streams and checked out some more reviews over the weekend and I still can't see this being succesful in the long term.

It is just Skyrim/Oblivion etc. but with other players and I can't help but feel that if people want to play Skyrim then they will play Skyrim, or if they want an MMO experience they will play WoW or GW2, or RIFT. Console gamers won't all be happy with the subscription and won't last past the next Fifa/CoD release and PC gamers have a plethora of choice in MMO's. ESO has nothing new, and nothing to justify it's whopping great price tag.

I was chatting with some guildies on WoW and a lot of us are saying similar. We want to try ESO but simply cannot fork out that much money on a game which isn't likely to do well in the long term. A few got burned by SWTOR and a few more bought GW2 and didn't like it as well. I guess the proof will be 3 months after release.

Ian
Premium
join:2002-06-18
ON
kudos:3
said by cat666:

if they want an MMO experience they will play WoW or GW2, or RIFT.

Nobody ever mentions LOTRO.

cat666

join:2013-04-26

1 edit
said by Ian:

Nobody ever mentions LOTRO.

To quote Clerks 2:

"There's ony one return and it ain't of the king, it's of the Jedi"

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
reply to Woody79_00
I played the beta a bit more but I didn't get up very far on any of my characters. I messed around with my builds and experimented on what I wanted to play. I keep going back to a sorcerer of some kind, but I haven't decided as of yet for sure.

As for the game itself, I am on board with it. I know its a safer bet to assume the worst with this game, but I am thinking this game is going to be successful if they release content updates often.
--

bionicRod
Premium
united state

1 recommendation

reply to Woody79_00
Now that I've played quite a few hours, I feel more qualified to list my likes and gripes with the last beta build.

Questing: The questing is top notch. Some questlines felt almost single player-ish. This is the single biggest boon for me personally because I can't stomach the questing in more standard MMOs; a bunch of text telling you to go collect x bear asses, come back, now go collect x wasp stingers, rinse and repeat for 100 hours. Don't get me wrong, quests are still 'go here do this', then 'go here do this', but they are generally more interesting and story based than other MMOs I've played. The fact that every quest giver is fully voice acted and in general voice acted very well is a nice touch too.

Combat: The combat is great as well. Basically you select a race and class. Classes have 3 subclasses whose trees you can unlock for abilities. Then you select a weapon and armor, which also have ability trees. Each class can equip any weapon or armor. As you unlock abilities, you can equip them to your hotbar. You are limited to 5 active abilities per weapon and one ultimate class ability. At level 15 you are able to equip two weapons and switch them on the fly, thereby giving you 10 abilities. You can equip the same weapon in both slots to get more abilities with one weapon. The result of this is a ton of customization choices and chances for synergy all based on the way you play. Want a mage with full plate and a bow? You can do that. Ranged spells are tab-targeted as long as you are pointed in the direction of a mob (although dodging is possible), but mele hits have to make contact. It is very interesting, the mobs are challenging once you get out into the world, and it's a ton of fun.

Crafting: I didn't get overly into the crafting, but was able to complete a set of light armor. The crafting in this game seems geared toward making stuff that is actually useful for your character. No making 10 leather vests before you can make a hard leather vest, for example. The level and ability of the items you craft are determined by how many raw materials you put into it and how you upgrade it. It was very useful.

Gripes:

Quest Rewards The quest and mob rewards seem set a little low, and everything is very expensive. Most mobs drop 1 gold and that's it. Quest rewards at the beginning run anywhere from 10 - 100 gold, with a few exceptions in the 100-200g range. When a mob does drop a piece of gear, even a green one, it's only worth like 15 g. I realize I only got to level 12 but in a game where the cheapest horse costs 17,000g and low level gear costs 600-800g, and some of these quest lines taking an hour or so to complete, you're going to be running around half clothed unless you check out crafting earlier than I did. It was level 6 before I earned a pair of pants, and levelling in this game takes a while. I worry that this is so they can sell you gear via microtransactions post launch.

Interface: No mini-map, which I realize was a conscious design choice, but I don't like it. Trying to find the right street in a town is an exercise in frustration. It IS cool that when you are looking at the map your toon physically pulls out a map (same is true for inventory) but the game needs a minimap. Vendors look like everyone else, and finding them is a pain in the ass. They are generally the ones shouting about their wares, but good luck when there are 20 NPCs and 30 players hanging around the general area. Their positions were not marked on the map, although it looked like maybe it was supposed to be, so I hope this is addressed before launch.

Graphics: The graphics were hit and miss for me. I had them set to Ultra, 1600p resolution on my GTX 780, and got close to 60 fps at all times. The scenery was often gorgeous, but often times not very pretty at all. NPC character models' faces and voices were great, but some of their light or medium armor appeared to be literally painted on, which takes me out of the game immediately. I liked the mobs.

TL;DR: There is more but I will quit for right now. Overall the beta was a mixed bag for me. I loved the actual gameplay but the game lacks certain polish and conveniences that should be standard for MMOs now. It has a slow start, which could be death for a game wanting to charge a sub. Overall I'm sold and will continue playing for the time being, but I'm not sure how many other people will be.
--

gaforces
United We Stand, Divided We Fall

join:2002-04-07
Santa Cruz, CA
reply to Woody79_00
I was getting tired of the run around and talk to NPC's quests so I went over to cats eye quay.
I was running through enemy marines and sorceress when a marine shield slammed me to the ground and the sorc toasted me with lightning. Great combat animation for the NPC's, needs a little more attention for client side combat moves to make it better.
--
Let them eat FIBER!

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
reply to Woody79_00
My cousin and I did some group questing and I have to agree with some thoughts of others on this. Group questing is in need of some improvements. Its too easy to get caught in a different phase of a quest than someone else just based on the answers you choose. Its also easy to get caught out of phase when you activate something that someone else doesn't.

I love the combat in this game though. My cousin is a heavily armored beast while I follow him around, heal, and do damage with my sorcerer. Its a great combination and we don't have any downtime for the most part. We level quicker together than we do playing single player.

The biggest thing we enjoy in this game is the exploration. So many things to do and areas to explore is what will keep us coming back. Well, besides the PvP.
--