spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Farmerwill
join:2014-01-30
usa

Farmerwill

WiFi issues

I have the smart router in my house.Every since having this router my 4 android phones , android tablet and kindle fire HD . the WiFi times out and I have to hit retry at least once. Any solutions?

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2

Premium Member

How far away are you from the router?
Farmerwill
usa

Farmerwill

Not even 8 feet

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2

Premium Member

I would try, clearing the network settings on your phones, reboot the router and modem, then try connecting again.
Farmerwill
usa

Farmerwill

OK I will try that
Manlaw
join:2014-02-05

Manlaw to Farmerwill

to Farmerwill
If that doesn't do to the trick you may also want to log into optimum.net and try changing your wireless router to an unsaturated channel. There's an app for the android called wifi analyzer by farproc that will show you what channel all the networks around you are using and you can set yours to a channel with less interference. Also make sure there are no cordless phone bases or desktop computers right next to the router and that its at least a few feet off of the floor. Hopefully this information will help.
dm145
join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ

dm145 to Farmerwill

to Farmerwill
Solution, go back to dumb router
mwolfson
Mel In Brooklyn
join:2002-06-30

mwolfson to Farmerwill

to Farmerwill
said by Farmerwill:

I have the smart router in my house.Every since having this router my 4 android phones , android tablet and kindle fire HD . the WiFi times out and I have to hit retry at least once. Any solutions?

This may not help at all but it improved my connectivity.

When i upgraded my router, not the one you have but one I purchased, I noticed that the router had two network connections, the one I was used to and one labeled 5G. I've found that I get much more consistent performance using the 5G connection and I've told the Iphone and Ipad to forget the other one.

If the Smart Router has a 5G connection, I would give it a try.
Farmerwill
usa

Farmerwill

So after a few calls to tech support and trying a few suggestions from members on this board I'm still in the same boat. The last call to tech support the person told me I needed an a/c router which they don't provide. Talking to my family we may switch to another internet provider. We had FiOS and don't want to go back down that road. Are there any other providers out there

limegrass69
No Whammies
join:2008-05-28

limegrass69

I don't see how an a/c router will help you. If the Smart Router does not suit your needs, use your own.
dtremain
join:2007-02-15
Florham Park, NJ

dtremain to Farmerwill

to Farmerwill
A/C is only going to matter if you have devices that use it. As others have told you here, just buy your own router. They are not expensive and, these days, they are very easy to setup. I like Netgear myself, but they all pretty much work the same way.

JoetheLance
@optonline.net

JoetheLance to Farmerwill

Anon

to Farmerwill
FYI, the new " smart router " being provided by Optimum turns your house into an OptOnline hotspot so anyone in your area with a username and password can log onto your router as a guest and further drain the bandwidth you are paying for. You should either buy your own router or go back to FiOS. I would get FiOS in a minute if it was in my area.
cabletecht
join:2012-06-08

4 recommendations

cabletecht

said by JoetheLance :

FYI, the new " smart router " being provided by Optimum turns your house into an OptOnline hotspot so anyone in your area with a username and password can log onto your router as a guest and further drain the bandwidth you are paying for. You should either buy your own router or go back to FiOS. I would get FiOS in a minute if it was in my area.

The Optimum Wifi being provided by the smart routers have their own service flows, so it will not "drain" your bandwidth.
JosephB
join:2012-10-19
Manhasset, NY

JosephB to Farmerwill

to Farmerwill
So, have you tried yet buying another Router like a netgear or asus, etc ? Their relatively inexpensive and you get them at many places - staples. best buy, amazon, newegg, etc.

inmo ... This would be the best next logical step and less involved, less time consuming to find another isp and you also have benefit of full control of your own router and hopefully another router just solves your problem.

Wyldfox
join:2002-01-26
Milford, CT

Wyldfox to Farmerwill

to Farmerwill
I just got one of OOL's routers, but my Linksys seems to work fine with my Android. I don't think I'm going to switch routers until this old one goes if there are problems.

limegrass69
No Whammies

limegrass69

If you don't activate it, you'll get a letter reminding you to set it up. Otherwise you'll need to return it of incur a lost equipment fee.

Joethelance
@optonline.net

Joethelance to cabletecht

Anon

to cabletecht
Same node equals drain. Stop pretending the whole neighborhood isn't sharing. When residential wifi become hotspots people will switch their smartphones from 4G to wifi to avoid caps. So instead of all these people on the cell towers they are now draining the node.

limegrass69
No Whammies

limegrass69

You should move to a FiOS area so that you don't have to worry yourself with such complicated issues.

Boooost
@optonline.net

Boooost to Joethelance

Anon

to Joethelance
said by Joethelance :

So instead of all these people on the cell towers they are now draining the node.

Yeah, but when the node gets empty, I just take another Bucket-O-Bits out to the node and pour it in.

gambitNJ
join:2012-11-15
Your Mom

gambitNJ to cabletecht

to cabletecht
LOL.. Keep saying that & you might start believing it... Anyone with a Technical Background will scream BS your way, are you on Cablevisions payroll? Just admit it, this person is safer with their own router that they can fully control themselves

Wyldfox
join:2002-01-26
Milford, CT

Wyldfox to limegrass69

to limegrass69
I do get a reminder letter, but there is no charge for it....hasn't been for months.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

1 recommendation

Thinkdiff to gambitNJ

MVM,

to gambitNJ
Actually, he was correct. There are separate service flows.

If you want to make an argument, it would be your wireless bandwidth is shared. WAN bandwidth is separate.

Not sure what you mean by "safer". Any consumer router will have possible security exploits.

Joethelance
@optonline.net

Joethelance

Anon

So your telling me that there is a secret bandwidth flow included with my service that I can only access with there "smart router"? Great, I can downgrade my service from 50 to 15, hook up the smart router and divide my devices equally between the routers SSID and optimum wifi. Then my super secret magic bandwidth ( that's somehow routed through a separate flow NODE ) will bring me right back to 50 Mbps. Thanks for the tip

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

2 recommendations

Thinkdiff

MVM,

If you don't understand how things work, it's best not to assume.

But if you really wanted to use some of your devices solely through optimumwifi, go right ahead. Nobody is stopping you.

Joethelance
@optonline.net

Joethelance

Anon

I'm sorry Oz the great and powerful, please educate me on how a single node feeding a couple hundred homes now offers each and every modem with a new flow of bandwidth.
cabletecht
join:2012-06-08

1 recommendation

cabletecht

said by Joethelance :

I'm sorry Oz the great and powerful, please educate me on how a single node feeding a couple hundred homes now offers each and every modem with a new flow of bandwidth.

There is no different if optimum puts a hotspot in the smart router to attempt to get better coverage, or 1 AP in front of each house, it's all going to back to the same node anyways. It's also not your problem to make sure the node could support all this extra "drain", let the people who actually know what they are talking about worry about that.

Also as far as "safer", most people using the smart router don't know how to secure their own routers or even manage it so I can't see how its safer.
TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA

TheWiseGuy to Joethelance

MVM

to Joethelance
Sigh, go away troll. Nodes no longer serve several hundred people that was 8 years ago, they have been split since then. In addition modems now have 8 channels each, and with the move to all digital there is room for more than 8 channels per node. Reports of slow downs are few and far between since they went to 8 channels.

Lastly someone using their mobile device is likely using less bandwidth than their home connection and is not using that bandwidth on their home connection at that point, so in general while they might be using bandwidth on a different node, they are freeing up bandwidth on their node. It all comes out in the wash.