spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

uzii65uz

join:2014-02-15

[Internet] sagemcom f@st2864 network devices table

I am a bell customer with fibe tv and internet over fttn. In the network devices table of the bell connection hub many clients are shown as static while they are dhcp. The device's network cards are set to dhcp and there is no reservation set in the modem. I tried to factory reset the modem and the problem com back. I called bell and ask this problem to be escalated. The supervisor told me there is nothing he can do and he suggest to buy a router and use the modem as a bridge. Is this a known problem? Is there any solution?

Thanks.

Glen1
These Are The Good Ol' Days.
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24
GTA Canada
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
Are the devices you see the "STB"s or set top boxes listed in the devices table? They will appear and probably have the same IP assigned each and every time.
--
My Canada includes Quebec.
Disclaimer: If I express an opinion, it is my own opinion, not that of Bell or its related companies.

uzii65uz

Yeah i know that the stb's are static but all the other devices (pc, laptop, cam, phones...) should be dhcp.

Martin
Premium
join:2005-05-05
@bell.ca
kudos:3
reply to uzii65uz
Flush DHCP and reduce "Lease"

uzii65uz

I set the lease time to 1 minute flushed dhcp several times : 2 pc and 2 ip camera still show back as static.

uzii65uz

reply to uzii65uz
I forgot to mention that the modem can't get the device's hostnames so they all show up as Client-x (x being a nnumber from 1 to 254)

Glen1
Premium,MVM
GTA Canada
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
reply to uzii65uz
So what problem are you actually having...what problem is this causing? I am curious. I have Fibe TV (2years+) and don't have any issues.
--
Disclaimer: If I express an opinion, it is my own opinion, not that of Bell or its related companies.

uzii65uz

the problem is that my devices doesn't appear as dhcp while they are dhcp. If you wanna be a router you gotta act like a router. I know this is not a major problem for most people but for networking enthusiast like me it is a problem. I would like to set dhcp and static devices and be able to see them as they are in the devices table.

I think this is a bug with the sagemcom firmware and i think it's a lack of rigor from the bell reps to not escalate it.

uzii65uz

reply to uzii65uz
I also forgot to mention that i'm a C55... If you know what i mean...

Glen1
Premium,MVM
GTA Canada
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
reply to uzii65uz
It sounds like you need to use your own router behind the Sagemcom and do your own networking from that device...if you are concerned about the issue. No I don't know what a C55 is...sorry for my ignorance. This forum is not operated by Bell but other users who try to help...the Bell Direct forum has been provided for Bell techs to respond directly to customer requests (only recently), perhaps you could post there.
--

phily316

join:2006-01-31
Montreal, QC
reply to uzii65uz
If you're a Bell tech, why don't you try another 2864?

uzii65uz

reply to Glen1
Thanks for trying to help Glen1. Using my own router is not a reliable option as there will be a double nat issue.

uzii65uz

reply to phily316
said by phily316:

If you're a Bell tech, why don't you try another 2864?

I'm on parental leave

Glen1
Premium,MVM
GTA Canada
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
reply to uzii65uz
Double Nat doesn't have to be an issue if you pull down a separate IP address with your router doing a PPPoE connection behind the Sagemcom. I have done that myself...you can even shut down the PPPoE session within the Bell device.
--

uzii65uz

Dual PPPOE is not allowed by bell (i tried it and as soon as i start a p2p download i get kicked out).

shutting down the pppoe within the sagemcom will prevent my stb's to access the internet...

Glen1
Premium,MVM
GTA Canada
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
reply to uzii65uz
Unless this new firmware has an issue I would investigate the number of streams you are using for your download...multiple PPPoE sessions hasn't been a problem for me in the past but as I say this new firmware might cause issues with that. The only time a user ID has only one connection is when it is deemed "single static IP" and then only one device can pull down the assigned IP. The STBs actually connect to a separate Vlan with a Vpi/vci of 0/36 whereas the internet uses a vpi/vci of 0/35...the tv signal doesn't come over the public internet but on a Bell vlan. However this doesn't help your initial issue with static vs dynamic assignment of IPs on your Lan. Trying new modem will result in the same issue because of the firmware...perhaps you could try the older firmware by posting in the Bell Direct forum and ask them to downgrade it as they have that ability...good luck with your issue.
--