how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

FAUguy

join:2014-01-22

1 edit

[Equip] Anyone with an Arris MG2402?

After spending some time looking at different specs, it seems that the Arris MG2402 is the top-tier device, being a combination Gateway (eMTA and WiFi) and has channel bonding of 24x8.

»www.arrisi.com/product_catalog/_···UN13.pdf

I was just curious if anyone is using it, and if they've noticed any differences in speed or reliability over other eMTA units (Arris TM722G with 4x4, TM822G with 8x4, Cisco DPC9393 with 16x4).

My current leased TM722G seems to be doing OK with the faster Extreme 105 tier, as it gets 105-115 most of the time, but I've seen it as low as 95 during peak times. I've got my own router that has 5Ghz AC up to 800Mbps, so I don't really need a gateway with built-in WiFi.

mccabe1234

join:2012-08-10
Boca Raton, FL

It's hard to believe their top of the line modem wouldn't have USB3.

Darknessfall
Premium
join:2012-08-17
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse

1 recommendation

reply to FAUguy

said by FAUguy:

After spending some time looking at different specs, it seems that the Arris MG2402 is the top-tier device, being a combination Gateway (eMTA and WiFi) and has channel bonding of 24x8.

I was just curious if anyone is using it, and if they've noticed any differences in speed or reliability over other eMTA units (Arris TM722G with 4x4, TM822G with 8x4, Cisco DPC9393 with 16x4).

My current leased TM722G seems to be doing OK with the faster Extreme 105 tier, as it gets 105-115 most of the time, but I've seen it as low as 95 during peak times. I've got my own router that has 5Ghz AC up to 800Mbps, so I don't really need a gateway with built-in WiFi.

You probably won't see that gateway for awhile. It was FCC approved awhile ago, but I don't see them using it anytime soon.

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:7

said by Darknessfall:

said by FAUguy:

:

You probably won't see that gateway for awhile. It was FCC approved awhile ago, but I don't see them using it anytime soon.

I don't think I've seen anyone posting here that they have an MG2402 yet, but in this thread on it on the Comcast TV Cable forum »[X1-X2] The Arris MG2402 Gateway , there were reports that they were in some Comcast stores and that they may only be given right now to (new?) customers signing up for Xfinity Home.

FAUguy

I'm still trying to find if the MG2402 is in my area. But it might take a trip to the local office in Pompano, FL to see if they know or have it in stock.

If I'm able to get the Arris TM722G for a good price new (under $100) than I might just do that. But if I can't, or Comcast refuses to activate it, and FORCES me to rent and pay the $8 fee, then I'd want a better unit like the MG2402.

cldlhd

@comcast.net
reply to FAUguy

I also have the arris 722g with a linksys ea6500 router that also has 5ghz ac also but about once a week my modem and router disconnect from each other and a modem reboot fixes it. I thought about the arris 2402 because it has ac wifi and has 16 or 24 downstream channels vs 4 for my 722g. I was wondering if you ever had the same issue with the modem locking up possibly because the router is to fast for it? I'm thinking the arris all in one gateway might solve this issue without me having to give up the faster 5ghz ac wifi. Plus comcast won't be able tell me the problem is probably my router as I'll be leasing the whole unit from them.

FAUguy

1 edit

said by cldlhd :

I also have the arris 722g with a linksys ea6500 router that also has 5ghz ac also but about once a week my modem and router disconnect from each other and a modem reboot fixes it. I thought about the arris 2402 because it has ac wifi and has 16 or 24 downstream channels vs 4 for my 722g. I was wondering if you ever had the same issue with the modem locking up possibly because the router is to fast for it? I'm thinking the arris all in one gateway might solve this issue without me having to give up the faster 5ghz ac wifi. Plus comcast won't be able tell me the problem is probably my router as I'll be leasing the whole unit from them.

I'm using an Engenius ESR1200 router that supports up to 867Mbps on the 5GHz AC band.
»www.engeniustech.com/home-networ···-esr1200
They also have a higher end ESR1750 that can go up to 1300Mbps with 5GHz AC.
»www.engeniustech.com/home-networ···-esr1750

But it all depends on what device you are using to connect. I've heard that some smartphones and tablets are limited to a max of 450Mbps using 5Ghz AC. Still, this really wouldn't matter, since the internet speed is lower at the Comcast Extreme 105 (up to 120Mbps).

Every so often, I do have to power off/on the ESR1200 router, as it seems to get slow on Wi-Fi connections, even though my wired PC stays at the same speed. I've tried different 5Ghz channels, and some do work better than others.

From the specs on the Arris MG2402, it is using a 3X3:3 MIMO antenna and says it can do up to 1300Mbps, as well as up to 24 downstream and 8 upstream channels.
»www.arrisi.com/news_events/in_th···gies.pdf