Littleton, CO
Reviews:
·Comcast
·CenturyLink
·EarthLink
·ViaTalk

1 recommendation

Stay away from Netgear. Far away.

I have had an R6300v1 for 16 months and it is imploding. There seems, which I am experiencing, have read about and the last TSR says I have, is a hardware flaw in the 6300v1’s that surfaces at about 6 months to a year of use. Mine started at about 6 months. At that point I started to submit trouble tickets and making phone calls. The replies were from offshore TS sources that operated off boiler plate scripts. This wasted my time and ran out the clock on the warranty making me jump through hoops and try things over and over with the same results. Tickets were also closed as I opened them with no action on their end. I have read that this is part of the "Netgear Delay" where they waste the time left on your warranty so they can blow you off after the warranty expires. I had many tickets filed long before the warranty was up and now 4 months after the warranty is expired and this POS is really starting to fail, I get, what seems to be stateside support and in two volleys of eMails they determine that I have a unit with a hardware defect. But since it's out of warranty, they won't do anything about it. But a 4000 model that I have registered is showing that it has a lifetime hardware warranty. WHAT?! A lower grade model has better support than a more expensive one time flagship model!

I have been a Netgear fan since they first hit the market, have a commercial account, have used their gear exclusively in all my installs and until the past couple of years their gear has been pretty good. Since then, their gear and TS have taken a giant nose dive. I read of people having issues, but took it as isolated events that can happen to anyone. But more and more posts about these "isolated" events started popping up. I should have taken the increase seriously. So now with this unit which happens to be my personal unit, I have a $200 R6300v1 Brick that reboots itself every couple of hours and has become useless. And I even waited a year to purchase it for them to fix the bugs. Looks like they spent that time developing new units instead of taking care of existing ones.

The test sites say Asus is testing better now any way and compared to online user reports Asus has less issues with hardware, software and Tech Support. Plus Netgear's Tech Support is become so abysmally nerve racking that it's just not worth it. Especially how fast they jumped revs and shot out a new model instead of dealing with the issues in this one. "Just drop it and move on."

STAY AWAY FROM NETGEAR.

robhouston

join:2001-09-15
Chester, NJ

1 recommendation

I fully understand your frustration, FarmerBob. If you've been having problems for the past 10 months, why didn't you push for a warranty exchange earlier?

kdshapiro

join:2000-03-29
Eatontown, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to FarmerBob
I echo the sentiment of the poster above that it's really frustrating. However, I've had netgear for years and for me their equipment just runs. I have the 6300v2 and am very satisfied with it.

Good luck.
--
Ken

FarmerBob

join:2000-12-21
Littleton, CO
Reviews:
·Comcast
·CenturyLink
·EarthLink
·ViaTalk
reply to robhouston
said by robhouston:

I fully understand your frustration, FarmerBob. If you've been having problems for the past 10 months, why didn't you push for a warranty exchange earlier?

I did. I started last Spring, 6 months after I bought it when it first started acting up and encountered nothing but incompetence with off shore TS. They make you fulfill a battery of boiler plate tests before they would even consider that there is an issue. This is not my first rodeo with Netgear. This last time I have no idea why I got state side support, but they knew right off the top that there was a problem with the v1's, I got that verified in a review I posted on NewEgg. But it was all the right people after the fact and not during. So I lose. I even had what NewEgg told me was an "Extended Warranty". Now the provider says it's a "concurrent" warranty. I never knew there was such a thing. The rep from the warranty company said she didn't know that they had them until she started working there. And she agreed that they represent them as extended warranties and filed for me, of which she says she does many formal complaints for misrepresentation.

robhouston

join:2001-09-15
Chester, NJ
Indeed, that is frustrating. There should be some type of escalation for a warranty exchange, given that they should have a record of your reported problems 6 months before the warranty expired. The problem, of course, is getting to someone at Netgear who can authorize the exchange.

Good luck,

FarmerBob

Littleton, CO
Reviews:
·Comcast
·CenturyLink
·EarthLink
·ViaTalk
said by robhouston:

Indeed, that is frustrating. There should be some type of escalation for a warranty exchange, given that they should have a record of your reported problems 6 months before the warranty expired. The problem, of course, is getting to someone at Netgear who can authorize the exchange.

Good luck,

That's what I am working on now. But I hit the weekend and they doesn't work over the weekend. I went back into my tickets and see that they started on 1/30, 3 months after purchase. But then I was under the impression that I had the "extended warranty" if Netgear tried to pull anything. So far it all failed and I did everything right. So beware of what warranty you buy from NewEgg. They are not described at all and lead you to believe that they are what we have become accustom to and know as an "extended warranty". Even NewEgg thinks they are standard EW's.

OverBurn

join:2004-02-21
Greenwood, IN
reply to FarmerBob
I've have the R6300v1 and it's been the best router I've ever had. Works great, doesn't ever need resetting, great wireless range.

I agree Netgear support is awful though. Took me months trying to explain to them that the email logging does not work on ANY of their routers, because port 25 is now blocked by most service providers and you can't change the port the router uses for this. They just didn't get it. After tons of exchanges linking me to stuff that had nothing to do with the problem, they finally agreed it does not work and there is no work around.

FarmerBob

Littleton, CO
Reviews:
·Comcast
·CenturyLink
·EarthLink
·ViaTalk

1 edit
reply to FarmerBob
Well after all the back and forth, Level One Off-Shore Numbnut Support and "you're too late". . . at about 9pm, on a Sunday, I got an eMail from a new Netgear case manager saying that I did have a hardware issue, had indeed started this long before the warranty was up and that an RMA was approved. A couple of seconds later the RMA eMail with links came in and I got that all dealt with. One thing I find "entertaining" is that it is being made quite clear that no upgrades are made under any condition. Although I have heard of people saying the v2 was the replacement they got. Not that is what I was looking for, but would be a nice surprise. Fingers crossed.

So it looks like I'll be getting a refurb, they probably have a lot hanging around and usually they work better than off the production line, but it'll probably not be a version that has the potentially defective hardware omitted. Hopefully it's been gone through thoroughly?! We'll just have to see. And this time I'll be getting a Square Trade warranty and not the one through NewEgg avoiding the bait and switch that seems to have happened. Who knows, I am suppose to get a phone call from a Supervisor in regard to that fact that I was sold an Extended. If they'll convert and apply it to the new 6300, I won't have to go to AMEX and file with them. That would be nice. But not planning on it. I am a new fan of Square Trade warranties from trial by fire. But then I wasn't planning on Netgear stepping up. Thanks, Netgear. You renewed my faith. Just hope the operation of the replacement is as people say it should be? Which would be a lot better than I have experienced.

The one thing that I am confused about the most is why did it take so long to get to stateside(?)/real support? Why not back in the beginning, saving me a lot of grief and aggravation. This time all it took was three eMails over the course of a couple of days. Oh well. Looks like only the persistent wins.

Thank you for your replies and support. I will update when I get the new one installed, up and running.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

1 recommendation

reply to OverBurn
said by OverBurn:

Took me months trying to explain to them that the email logging does not work on ANY of their routers, because port 25 is now blocked by most service providers and you can't change the port the router uses for this. They just didn't get it. After tons of exchanges linking me to stuff that had nothing to do with the problem, they finally agreed it does not work and there is no work around.

There is a workaround. Grab a free mailserver application. Set it up on localhost, and point your router to "localhost:25". Configure the server to relay to "smtp.mailhost:465" of your designated email service.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

Donuts

@comcast.net
reply to OverBurn
said by OverBurn:

I've have the R6300v1 and it's been the best router I've ever had. Works great, doesn't ever need resetting, great wireless range.

I agree Netgear support is awful though. Took me months trying to explain to them that the email logging does not work on ANY of their routers, because port 25 is now blocked by most service providers and you can't change the port the router uses for this. They just didn't get it. After tons of exchanges linking me to stuff that had nothing to do with the problem, they finally agreed it does not work and there is no work around.

Have you tried specifying your outgoing server as: smtp.gmail.com:587 (or whatever your e-mail provider uses). I'm using a Gmail address to receive my router (WNDR4300) logs and it works perfectly.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by Donuts :

Have you tried specifying your outgoing server as: smtp.gmail.com:587 (or whatever your e-mail provider uses). I'm using a Gmail address to receive my router (WNDR4300) logs and it works perfectly.

Isn't the WNDR4300 rather newer than the R6300? I have seen older model routers which don't work with any SMTP port than 25.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

OverBurn

Greenwood, IN
said by NormanS:

said by Donuts :

Isn't the WNDR4300 rather newer than the R6300? I have seen older model routers which don't work with any SMTP port than 25.

No way to change what port R6300 uses (only port 25), comfirmed by Netgear. The R6300 is a pretty new model, amazed they didn't fix it.

I see NormanS has a "work around". Not going to that much trouble for something that should work simply with a few clicks.

Donuts

@comcast.net
There is no way to change the default port on the WNDR4300 either. All it asks for is the server address. I was rather frustrated after I learned that knowing full well that port 25 was not an option. I tried the : specification on the server name - and it worked.

Might be worth a shot to try it.

Puffnstuff

join:2008-04-12
Jacksonville, FL
Well you specify the server and port address in the client when you set up the email account.

OverBurn

Greenwood, IN
reply to Donuts
said by Donuts :

There is no way to change the default port on the WNDR4300 either. All it asks for is the server address. I was rather frustrated after I learned that knowing full well that port 25 was not an option. I tried the : specification on the server name - and it worked.

Might be worth a shot to try it.

Doesn't work with the R6300, tried that first, confirmed by Netgear "Support".

DoctorStinky

join:2011-11-10
Brunswick, ME
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to Puffnstuff
said by Puffnstuff:

Well you specify the server and port address in the client when you set up the email account.

The specific functionality in question here is the router's ability to support logging via email. In this case, the *router* is the client.

FarmerBob

Littleton, CO
Reviews:
·Comcast
·CenturyLink
·EarthLink
·ViaTalk

4 edits
reply to FarmerBob
Now back in the Bat Cave . . .

Well the refub replacement came DOA. And after several threats since I had not returned the original within the 10 day return period, I responded to the ticket what to do in this case and was waiting on instructions from Netgear since the replacement was basically, was as they finally labeled it DOA and the original kinda worked as to which one to send back? Those instructions never came. I finally submitted a new trouble ticket since the one we were working off of was closed before we were done. Got a dialog restarted they still couldn't read and understand what I had written and claimed that the replacement had the same issues that the original had and that I was mistaken, when it had a whole new and different set of problems as I had meticulously detailed in the new ticket. I was offered a phone call, come to find out only so that they could get a CC number for a third exchange. Otherwise, I doubt I would have been able to continue the conversation in a somewhat more intelligent manner. The L2 tech was amazed at what I had to say compared to the notes in the account from the tickets. After I told them I would lose my VoIP service if I were to "immediately" pack up and send off the modem, I told them to call me now. That was at 4 a.m. I got the phone call because they got that things needed to be dealt with in a specific manner. After about an hour of apologies, I was told that I would be getting a "new" modem which would be a v2 since I have had so many problems with the v1 and that the L2 Tech purposely put it in the record that one be sent this time. Got the tracking noticed from Netgear yesterday and I see on the internal tracking number is says 6300-100NAS, which means another POS v1 and not the v2 (R6300-PAS100) that I was promised. It's due on Monday and we'll see which model actually arrives.

I've been a Netgear guy for many many years, but I'm done with Netgear. I have the staff removing all we have in clients installations and replacing them with various models to check them out, but mostly the newer Asus, which so far have out performed Netgear and their TS is lightyears beyond Netgear's abysmal TS disaster.

Fallen_Anjel

join:2011-04-07
Rocky Point, NY
reply to FarmerBob
I stopped using Belkin and started using Netgear. LOL

FarmerBob

Littleton, CO
Reviews:
·Comcast
·CenturyLink
·EarthLink
·ViaTalk
reply to FarmerBob
Mid-afternoon today I got the v2 replacement and it is a v2 and a whole new ball game. We'll see how long it lasts. I'm walking on eggshells, hoping not to disrupt anything in any manner. So far a lot faster and more stable. Looks like my two 6300v1's were seriously defective. Glad I fought their system/stuck to it to get this taken care of.

So we'll see what happens from here. But while waiting and enduring dropped VoIP calls and not being able to call out and the family yelling every time the Internet would drop, which ended up many times an hour, I went looking for other brands and found some things that look pretty nice. So now I'm really curious about other brands.

FarmerBob

Littleton, CO
Reviews:
·Comcast
·CenturyLink
·EarthLink
·ViaTalk
reply to Fallen_Anjel
said by Fallen_Anjel:

I stopped using Belkin and started using Netgear. LOL

Then you'll be staying away from Linksys now too, since Belkin bought their consumer line.

FallenAnjel

@optonline.net
I actually went from Linksys to Belkin.
But then again I had a wrt54G and it was so slow. the ex put software on it from ddwrt (which he failed to tell me) so when I tried to update it, I bricked it. Lol

FarmerBob

Littleton, CO
Reviews:
·Comcast
·CenturyLink
·EarthLink
·ViaTalk
reply to FarmerBob
Well it's been a week and a half/two weeks and the v2 is OK. It's really nothing special as I was led to believe it "should" be. We'll see with the new Comcast speed upgrades, if and when I get it, if this thing performs any better. Until then, just survivin' . . .

FarmerBob

Littleton, CO
Reviews:
·Comcast
·CenturyLink
·EarthLink
·ViaTalk
reply to FarmerBob
Have had some more time with the v2 and there are issues that you can rad about in most forums that cover this unit. Although I have a personal Tech Rep with Netgear to make sure things are working, they hot to get the ticket closed and do not understand that when you make a change the results are not going to be realized instantly.

We have closed the current ticket with the understanding that once I get more testing and information, that I can reopen it and we'll go from there. I have my doubts.

I have a new Modem and the v2, but something is still just not right. No speed increases in my area yet so there is not that complication that was a near nightmare last Spring when they did it and really no one in my area got an increase. But are not all in good shape either. That last boost as per the Tech Team that ran our area that there can be and were "issues" that arise in these cases. Well, de-arise them.

All I ask for is a nicely fast "STABLE" line of 30/6. Stability being the key factor. Speed numbers mean nothing without stability. I get latency of 0-7000ms. Not to stable.

Off to the next adventure.

FarmerBob

Littleton, CO
Reviews:
·Comcast
·CenturyLink
·EarthLink
·ViaTalk

1 recommendation

reply to FarmerBob
Netgear was severely hot to trot to get my ticket closed, so I let them with the provision that it could be reopened. Well yesterday I took the plunge and installed the latest DD-WRT on the v2. A Whole New World. I have been using DD-WRT for years on other units when Netgear had some settings that you could not change that were making it impossible to get service. Most all of the issues that we were wading through are gone now. Although I do not get IPv6, which without Firewalls is dangerous any way. So now it's just let things settle and see where it goes. But so far all the issues that Netgear was trying to address, as always, is in their Firmware. I have always said that Netgear has the best hardware, but worst FW. It's still true.