spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Pelar4525
@teksavvy.com

Pelar4525

Anon

Android tv box- is it legal?

I saw an asian man on the TTC yesterday with a package that read "Android TV Box: Internet TV Smart System". I asked what that was and he told me "free tv, free movie, all time". So when i came home, i inquired about it and found that it can be purchased via kijiji. Does anyone know if it is legal?

andyb
Premium Member
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario

andyb

Premium Member

Out of the box they are.People put navi-x on them and then its not so legal
sparky007
join:2011-08-25
Phoenix, AZ

sparky007

Ok.... I'm lost.. What is illegal about navi-x?

rednekcowboy
join:2012-03-21

rednekcowboy

Navi-X itself--nothing but streaming shows and movies that you did not pay for access to is considered piracy.

jakedsnaker
@bell.ca

jakedsnaker

Anon

android tv box is nothing but a hdmi stick you stick in the side of your tv, i think most people call it a chrome castaway or something? its got a full android aperating sistem on it, and it needs to plug into a usb port on your tv to power it otherwise it needs a wire into an electrical socket.
DSA
join:2013-04-27
Brantford, ON

DSA to Pelar4525

to Pelar4525
The software is sold freely out of computer stores here, you can put it on a computer or buy a computer with it preinstalled. I downloaded it myself and installed it on a computer hooked up to my TV. Free if you know how to do it.

kragop
join:2006-02-15
Scarborough, ON

kragop to Pelar4525

to Pelar4525
Purchasing the hardware is legal, however viewing illegally distributed content is illegal. Some, people say its a legal grey area because you are not downloading the content, you are merely streaming it. However, the argument has a hole in it, because the content was distributed illegally, and therefore viewed without proper consent. So, this still makes illegal.

What I would suggest is purchasing an Apple TV, instead of the above. With Apple TV and a subscription to Netflix, you can use a service like »tunlr.net to gain access to Netflix USA. This will give you access to many movies and shows. This option affordable, and easy to implement. No headaches!

GreenEnvy22
join:2011-08-04
St Catharines, ON

GreenEnvy22

Android sticks do the same thing as Apple TV. You can get Netflix app on it, and if you use a service like unblock us it works for US or other region netflix fine on android sticks too (if you setup DNS on your router).
I have one of these in our bedroom plugged into the TV, and one I keep for travelling for use at hotels and the like.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by GreenEnvy22:

Android sticks do the same thing as Apple TV.

Exactly, other candidates include Boxee, Roku and a bunch of other ones as well.
said by GreenEnvy22:

use a service like unblock us it works for US or other region netflix fine on android sticks too (if you setup DNS on your router).

More discussion to be had here:

»Canadian Film Producers want a netflix "tax" and to stop vpn to us netflix

EQ