norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback

1 recommendation

reply to Oleg

Re: MS should of released two editions of Win 8

Been saying that since the beginning.

Maybe Microsoft thought the desktops with touch screens would take off.
I don't think a desktop will be a winner for touch screen.
Having a large monitor in front of you to touch looks too menacing and gets in the way of work and it's piles of paper.

But maybe this environment was only to test touch screen apps with a larger database and they don't mind the initial drop in sales?
The next version will be the touch screen and desktop scene and sales will come back?

Maybe they need to actually re-define the beta test programming and the now defunct Technet subscription instead of using their user-base as guinea pigs?
Maybe that is the real concern here?
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1

1 recommendation

Touch screen works pretty good on my laptop. I haven't totally integrated it into my work flow, but I do find it easier to touch some of the time.

I have to wonder if in future years we won't praise Microsoft for integrating the two systems. Right now it is learning pains for both the user and the OS designer, but I do like the ability to run the full operating system on a tablet. While it is not my preferred work computer, sometimes you need to be able to get something done and the tablet is what is convenient or accessible.

norwegian
Premium
Outback

I won't disagree with you at all and tablets/laptops have a lot in the "convenience" category and what they can do.

I think Steve says it all, there is 2 distinct environments and past history hasn't been kind to the Big M trying to come across with a tablet.

So why did the powers to be think the 2 differing tools become the same?
If they failed with previous product, why then force it on everyone?
Maybe it is for the APU and it's future etc, because hardware is changing whereby everything is soldered and not plug-able like a desktop is.

Being realistic and going off past wins and losses, this isn't the end, and I want to think positively it is the beginning too.
I just hope they do not continue with the desktop theme aka Win 8 for desktops.
Personal choice I know, but I am not alone and hopefully they are aware of this and happy to lose sales, even if marginally initially, so they do start a new path for computing both software and hardware in the years ahead.
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to norwegian

said by norwegian:

Maybe they need to actually re-define the beta test programming and the now defunct Technet subscription instead of using their user-base as guinea pigs?
Maybe that is the real concern here?

Funny you bring that up, I got into the business when NT 4.0 was the OS at the time. When 2000 was being touted i recall at least 3 beta releases and a I think 3 more Release candidates.

Now days you get a "Community Technology Preview" , which is a fancy word for beta test it for us, and at the end it becomes "gold" bugs and all .
--
My Name is Wiley E Coyote, Super Genius

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by elwoodblues:

which is a fancy word for beta test it for us

I think the distinction is that, with an actual beta test, beta users are expected to file test reports, whereas 'preview' admits it is a one-way street.

If you recall, many users seemed to consider beta as simply a way to get a pre-release version anyway with no obligation on their part.

norwegian
Premium
Outback

said by dave:

said by elwoodblues:

which is a fancy word for beta test it for us

I think the distinction is that, with an actual beta test, beta users are expected to file test reports, whereas 'preview' admits it is a one-way street.

If you recall, many users seemed to consider beta as simply a way to get a pre-release version anyway with no obligation on their part.

Understand that one.

Nothing like a file upload of 2GB of a memory dump, have it fail over night (on basic consumer grade speeds in down under) and then find out when you finally managed the upload, it was corrupt and of no value.

--

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
reply to dave

In the grand scheme of things, it's not much different with the CTP, many "participate" to get that pre-release.
--
My Name is Wiley E Coyote, Super Genius