All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
pulsar777
join:2009-12-21

pulsar777

hardware difference between Motorola SB6120 and 6120E

Is there hardware difference between Docsis and Eurodocsis version of Motorola SB6120 and 6120E modem, or its only firmware difference? Is there a eurodocsis version of SB6121 model?

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

2 edits

Mike Wolf

From what I've gathered on firmware release notes and from my own knowledge, they all use the exact same firmware because they all use the same Puma5 chipset. There is a new mode in the firmware called "World-Wide Mode" for the European models which essentially allows them to be used in North America as well I assume.

Unless otherwise noted, all firmware Fixes and New Features affecting the complete SB612x and SB614x family will be identified using the generic SURFboard Cable Modem (SBCM) naming convention. Any product specific changes will be noted with the specific product name, i.e. SB6120J or SB6120E.

The SB612xE supports Motorola's new "World-Wide" mode with dual certificate capability (BPI+), allowing the modem to register on a EuroDOCSIS or DOCSIS CMTS. In addition, the SB612xE with "World-Wide" mode enabled will scan for EuroDOCSIS-256QAM, EuroDOCSIS-64QAM, DOCSIS-256QAM, and DOCSIS-64QAM signals.

With the introduction of the SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.0-SCM01 firmware release for the SB612x and SB614x product lines, a firmware naming convention change has taken place. With this release and all future releases, the SB612x and SB614x products will share the same image file designated with the SB_KOMODO prefix.

pulsar777
join:2009-12-21

pulsar777

That's helpful info. But EuroDocsis and Docsis uses different RF frequencies, therefore they should have different RF filters, which are discrete components. So RF filters can be the only part that may differs. I know also, that EuroDocsis version can be used in Docsis (US) network, but not vice versa, Docsis modem can't be used in EuroDocsis network.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Ok.

Nick
Purveyor of common sense
MVM
join:2000-10-29
Smithtown, NY

Nick to pulsar777

MVM

to pulsar777
NA DOCSIS & EuroDOCSIS can use the same frequencies, just different channel widths.
North American is 6Mhz, Euro is 8Mhz. That's why Euro can work on a NA plant but NA can't go on a Euro plant.

SeanWhite
@comcast.net

SeanWhite

Anon

I kinda thought that some of these NA modems supported both based on the configuration file, ie the European and NA modems use the same hardware and thus were interchangeable. I guess not.