dcuebas
I Gotta Go Where It's Warm
Premium Member
join:2001-02-11
Peachtree City, GA

dcuebas

Premium Member

Uverse HSI self-install vs pro-install at different tiers

I am in the process of ordering Uverse internet only (no TV). When making my selections, I see that Max (12Mbps) has self install available while Max Plus (18Mbps) and higher require pro install. What are the hardware requirements or differences between the tiers? I read somewhere else on this forum that a user has a CAT5e cable running directly from the NID to the RG. Is that the only difference of self vs pro install?

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

The differences I would say are that the installer will probably correct any line problems before leaving(poor wiring,bridge taps, etc).

The only hardware difference is if you ordered Power and required a different gateway and pair bonding.

In all honesty, I would go for the pro-install. Most issues people have are because they did a self install on a bad line.

my thoughts
@uscc.net

my thoughts to dcuebas

Anon

to dcuebas
Self install (CSI), most likely to receive a 3600 RG with b/g wireless (4) 10/100 ports. If MDU previous ly had Uverse or currently have DSL with no problems recommend DIY. Profile 13M for PRO, ELITE or MAX with no upgrade above MAX without paying $99 FTI fee.

Full tech install (FTI $99), most likely 5031 RG b/g/n 2.4 ghz with (4) 10/100 ports. If currently would use phone jack with filter reconmend FTI for cat5e home run unless you do it.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by my thoughts :

Self install (CSI), most likely to receive a 3600 RG with b/g wireless (4) 10/100 ports. If MDU previous ly had Uverse or currently have DSL with no problems recommend DIY. Profile 13M for PRO, ELITE or MAX with no upgrade above MAX without paying $99 FTI fee.

Full tech install (FTI $99), most likely 5031 RG b/g/n 2.4 ghz with (4) 10/100 ports. If currently would use phone jack with filter reconmend FTI for cat5e home run unless you do it.

Stupid that they're still giving out 3600s for self installs. I guess they're going to wear them all out until they all die.

dcuebas
I Gotta Go Where It's Warm
Premium Member
join:2001-02-11
Peachtree City, GA

dcuebas

Premium Member

said by Darknessfall:

Stupid that they're still giving out 3600s for self installs. I guess they're going to wear them all out until they all die.

Thanks for the info. I currently have DSL 6.0 with Earthlink via ATT, so it's just a matter of switching it over. Is there a problem with the 3600?

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by dcuebas:

said by Darknessfall:

Thanks for the info. I currently have DSL 6.0 with Earthlink via ATT, so it's just a matter of switching it over. Is there a problem with the 3600?

They're ancient in terms of wireless technology. They also aren't the best in terms of reliability. You'll also probably get a refurb if you receive a 3600.

Porthos
@sbcglobal.net

Porthos

Anon

Seems strange that the 3600 would a refurb since these are sold to customers, not leased.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by Porthos :

Seems strange that the 3600 would a refurb since these are sold to customers, not leased.

AT&T does receive a lot of returns though. They get sent back all of the problem prone ones that are within warranty .

my thoughts

Anon

While purchased ideally shpuld be new, understand if someone cancelled within first 30 days, returns RG, or wifi circuiy quits within 1st year return as defective repaired, then what.

The 3600s are not sent to tech garages automatically as are leased units, techs have to individually order 3600 fortheir truck to stock, as the 5031 (since June 2013) does both short distance 3600 and long loop length up to 3500 feet, to reduce amount of inventory needing to carry, most techs just carry the 5031 only.

When tech receive order for FTI or failed CSI, the company does not want leased 3800, 3801 IPTV RGs being installed, and tech can be held accountable for installing improper equipment, specifically wrong RG but also incorrect DVR if order calls for 1216 and tech installs 2250 when having 1216 or 1225 on truck.

brookeKrige
join:2012-11-05
San Jose, CA

brookeKrige

How can customer ensure their purchase is a 5031, and never a 3600? During ordering, or after initial order, at least N days before install date or service start date, can a "note" be added to the order to specify 5031 or install will be rejected/denied and service cancelled?

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by brookeKrige:

How can customer ensure their purchase is a 5031, and never a 3600? During ordering, or after initial order, at least N days before install date or service start date, can a "note" be added to the order to specify 5031 or install will be rejected/denied and service cancelled?

I was once sent a replacement gateway and I asked for a 3801(I had a 3800 and I am close to the VRAD). Not sure it actually worked by requesting it or I just randomly got one.

Porthos
@sbcglobal.net

Porthos to Darknessfall

Anon

to Darknessfall
"AT&T does receive a lot of returns though. They get sent back all of the problem prone ones that are within warranty ."

Makes sense.