Search similar:

uniqs
jca2050
Premium Member
join:2002-02-04
Dallas, TX

jca2050

Premium Member

FTTP vs FTTN U-Verse, how to check availability?

Hey there, I had 12/1.5 ADSL2+ before on fastpath. I loved it for gaming, very low and rock solid latency. Started gaming again so I was looking to pickup the service, but was notified that it's no longer available as my area has been recently upgraded for U-Verse, up to 45/6. I've read that there's an FTTH and VDSL version of U-Verse out there. A friend of mine in Fort Worth is on the VDSL variant which is interleave, higher and more unstable ping.

Is there anyway to check if what's now available in my area is the FTTH or the VDSL variant? Low, stable latency is everything to me and my main reason for getting the service back (TWC is terrible) but if I'm stuck on VDSL then it kind of defeats the purpose.

My zip is 75240

whamel
Premium Member
join:2002-05-09
Evergreen Park, IL
·AT&T FTTP

whamel

Premium Member

My Power tier, 45/6 Mbps via VDSL2 and interleaved, gives the approximate latency figures. There figures were taken using the SamKnows whitebox (FCC project) connected to my internet. Scroll down past down and upstream to see latency figures...I game on XBOX 360 and have no problems with lag and latency.

2014-01-01 to 2014-01-30 »reporting.samknows.com/r ··· af923b56

2013-12-01 to 2013-12-31 »reporting.samknows.com/r ··· af923b56

2013-11-01 to 2013-11-30 »reporting.samknows.com/r ··· af923b56
benk016
join:2011-06-05
Owasso, OK

benk016 to jca2050

to jca2050
since it shows you as eligible for 45mb internet there is a 99% chance you would be on VDSL. for now FTTH is only avaliable to new installs in new neighborhoods. If you've had dsl before over copper they will use that.
jca2050
Premium Member
join:2002-02-04
Dallas, TX

jca2050

Premium Member

Oh ok thanks, my main issue with it is VDSL's poor gateway latency due to interleave. My buddy gets ~25ms to his gateway on U-Verse DSL, I got 6ms to my gateway on fastpath ADSL2+ when I had it. Oh well, may have to stick with TWC.

whamel
Premium Member
Evergreen Park, IL
·AT&T FTTP

whamel

Premium Member

Click for full size
Click for full size
I get 22-24ms to my gateway, but also get the same across all nodes, going to google.com. See attached screenshot.
Then here's another tracert to my website...not terrible numbers...
mitpatterson
Premium Member
join:2012-09-17
Toledo, OH

mitpatterson

Premium Member

Yah people seem to get stuck on the fact that first hop was 24ms but then don't see that end to end was only 22ms. Which points to the device at the first hop is likely policing the control plane.

People miss that the control plane(the part that replies to the ICMP) is different and often more underpowered compared to the forwarding plane(that actually "fowards" the packets to the next hop)

whamel
Premium Member
Evergreen Park, IL
·AT&T FTTP

whamel

Premium Member

well put...but this is why I also posted my monthly latency figures via the SamKnows whitebox, that actively measures the "forwarding plane" as well as the simpler ICMP figures. You cant see it from the public report, because the detailed stats are only viewable by my login. see post above or here: »Re: FTTP vs FTTN U-Verse, how to check availability?
mitpatterson
Premium Member
join:2012-09-17
Toledo, OH

mitpatterson

Premium Member

Yep. I see the pings in yours which are what lowest in the mid 20's to mid 30's? so end to end isn't unreasonable.

whamel
Premium Member
Evergreen Park, IL

whamel

Premium Member

...but it isn't bad..