IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

[Tech] Difficulty with HP all in one Scanner

I have an HP All In One Copy Print Scan from 2010 and I was on a roll scanning a bunch of photos from my childhood and it all of sudden stopped auto detecting the edges of the photos. Its the HP Photosmart Premium TouchSmart Web Model C309 N-S according to the print menu on my computer.

Could it be from overheating and it needs to cool or is it another problem. I have tons of photos to scan (several shoeboxes full). I prefer to use flatbed scanners as they are gentler on the photos. I also have a bunch of the old Polaroid instant photos which you MUST use a flatbed scanner on as a feed-thru will rip them apart. Some of my old Polaroids are falling apart anyways (the edges on the back are starting to come up).

jvmorris
I Am The Man Who Was Not There.
MVM
join:2001-04-03
Reston, VA

jvmorris

MVM

Re: [Misc] Difficulty with HP all in one Scanner

Okay, I've got one of those.

How is it connected? USB, LAN via RJ-45, LAN via WiFi, or BlueTooth?

Go to the HP website and download "HP Print and Scan Doctor", install and run it. What, if anything, does it tell you? Apparently, this software will also install updated drivers if necessary (but I've never needed to go that far).

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

I'm scanning directly onto a thumb drive using the touchscreen on the printer itself.

jvmorris
I Am The Man Who Was Not There.
MVM
join:2001-04-03
Reston, VA

jvmorris

MVM

ah, well . . . can't help you much on that one.

Have you plugged the thumb drive into a computer and checked it to make sure it's still working okay?

If the problem is with the printer/scanner itself however, the diagnostics software you need have to be installed on a PC. Well, maybe not quite, but it's much the same thing -- I think you can run it over the 'net.

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium Member
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY

Stacy to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
Have you checked to make sure the thumb drive isn't full?

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to jvmorris

Premium Member

to jvmorris
I figured out what the issue is, if a piece of dust/debris gets on the scanner bed it fools the scanner into thinking the photo is bigger than it is. That is what is causing the bordering issues.
IowaCowboy

IowaCowboy to Stacy

Premium Member

to Stacy
I did clear the thumb drive and now because I loaded the pictures onto the computer and erased it. (Reformatted it) it and now I think I fried it.

I'm going to pick up a new one tomorrow, should I get a SD card or a thumb drive. The printer and computer will take both. It makes the scanning process a lot faster to use removable media as I can use the touchscreen controls on the printer.

weaseled386
join:2008-04-13
Edgewater, FL

weaseled386

Half of us will suggest SD card, and the other half thumb drive. Which do you think you'll have more use for after this project is complete? I'd personally take the SD card. I have a dozen different devices that use them! It'll plug directly into my monitor & HP printer/scanner, and I have the USB to SD card adapter... It isn't uncommon for me to use that combo as a thumb drive.