uniqs

NetDog
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Hollywood, FL

2 edits

NetDog

Premium Member

[IPv6] Netgear retail router IPv6 issues..

Ok I am going to open this can please be nice, I want to get these issues fixed..

If your having issues with IPv6 PD dropping after a couple of days or having odd issues please post about them.. I would like to hear about what issues Netgear retail routers have.

So far I have heard the below models will drop the PD after a couple of days:

Netgear R7000 Nighthawk
Netgear R6200
Netgear R6300 v1
Netgear 3700v4
WNDR4500
WNDR4000
madbavarian
join:2013-03-05
Fremont, CA
Motorola MB8600
Netgear WNDR3700v4
(Software) lede

madbavarian

The Netgear WNDR3700 v4 has the problem. I've taken to setting up a daily cron task to reboot the router. The PD allocation changes each time but at least the router has a working PD allocation.

BTW. Thanks for looking into this. The problem is driving me crazy.

NetDog
Premium Member
Hollywood, FL

NetDog

Premium Member

said by madbavarian:

Netgear 3700v4

Thanks added to the list

owlyn
MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA

owlyn to NetDog

MVM

to NetDog
I have mentioned several times before that the WNDR3400 has the problem. (I had what I guess is the WNDR3400V1, as it is not a V2, but I believe they both have the problem.

WNR1000v2
@comcast.net

1 recommendation

WNR1000v2 to NetDog

Anon

to NetDog
The Comcast supplied Netgear WNR1000v2-VC also loses IPv6 connectivity (apparently during the IPv6 lease renewal process) with either the original V1.2.2.56NA IPv6 firmware release or the newer V1.2.2.72NA firmware.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to owlyn

MVM

to owlyn
said by owlyn:

I have mentioned several times before that the WNDR3400 has the problem. (I had what I guess is the WNDR3400V1, as it is not a V2, but I believe they both have the problem.

Yes, from this this thread from back in December »[IPv6] ipv6 stops working after a few days

There's a list of models in that thread:
said by earletp:

I'm back on the "two day cycle" again.

In just this thread, these Netgear models have been listed as losing IPv6 every few days...

WNR1000v2-VC
WNDR3400
WNDR3700v3
WNDR3700v4
WNDR4500v1
R6200
R6300 v1

egeek84
Premium Member
join:2011-07-28
Livermore, CA

egeek84 to NetDog

Premium Member

to NetDog
Hey NotDog, I was unable to get an ipV6 address after having recently upgrading my WNDR4500 to the latest firmware update. I couldn't figure out for the life of me why I was unable to get IPV6 anymore and I was ready to make a angry post on the Comcast forums about it until I decided for the heck of it, to revert back to the previous firmware update and low and behold, I got an ipV6 address right away so this is clearly an issue with Netgear's latest firmware update that they just pushed out about a week or so ago. Hope this helps.
egeek84

egeek84

Premium Member

I should also mention that I do ocassionaly lose IPV6 and have to disable and then reenable it on my router but the issue I just posted about prevented me from getting ipv6 period.
dminer
join:1999-12-11
San Francisco, CA

dminer to NetDog

to NetDog
WNDR3700v2 gets no native IPv6 address at all with firmware 1.0.1.14 (latest version).

It gets an IPv6 address, but cannot renew the lease, with firmware 1.0.0.36 (previous version).

santy
Don't Follow Me, I'M Lost Too
MVM
join:2001-06-10
Wilmington, IL

santy to NetDog

MVM

to NetDog
My Netgear router is already listed. WNDR3700V4 and I have the latest firmware installed with no improvement. Firmware: V1.0.1.52 GUI Language Version: V1.0.0.173

I'm content to wait for a cure before I worry about it. I can cruise the web just fine on IPv4 for now.

AnonMan
@comcast.net

AnonMan

Anon

FWIW The 6300v2 and R7000 share same core FW so they both would have same bugs.

That said the R7000 (and past Netgears) I have worked with the only issues I have seen is the initial request of IPv6 sometimes fails but disabling and re-enabling it resolves it. Normally it has issues if I do a change which causes some of the services to restart it won't grab the IPv6 back on it's own.

Once I have an address I have gone weeks without issues though.

I do know they don't support the /60 that I am aware and have pointed this out to the engineer to look into.

Streetlight
join:2005-11-07
Colorado Springs, CO

1 edit

1 recommendation

Streetlight to NetDog

to NetDog
You might be interested how I solved the problem of loss and restoration of IPv6 after an upgrade of the firmware of my Zoom 5341 modem connected to a Netgear WNDR 3700 V1 with the latest firmware:

»[IPv6] Evidence of Comcast IPv6 CPE Dual Stack (CPE and CPEPD)

See page 8 near the bottom of the page for a couple of posts. This discussion may be irrelevant unless you just can't get IPv6 rather than just restore lost IPv6 access. Some folks may find it useful, though.

Also, the booting sequence of the WNDR 3700 I use I obtained from another thread in these forums which was slightly modified:

1. I found after the new modem firmware that the following worked: on the IPv6 router page set WAN to disable and LAN to Auto Config Secured. This is somewhat different from the original post where instructions were to set the WAN to Auto Detect with LAN to Auto Config Secured. In the latter case you would see DHCP with an IPv6 Address on WAN and LAN. This latter case (Auto Detect on WAN) was the usual method and always worked until the firmware change.
2. Turn off all computers on the network
3. Unplug modem & router
4. Unplug WAN cable on router
5. Wait 2 minutes
6. Plug in modem
7. Wait until modem completely syncs. ~1.5 - 2 minutes
8. Plug in router
9. Router power light will be amber
10. Wait for router power light to turn green
11. Plug in WAN cable to router
12. If in step 1 I had set WAN to disable, I returned to the router's IPv6 page and set WAN to Auto Detect and IPv6 was restored. Before the modem firmware upgrade, I had left the IPv6 setting to Auto Detect and didn't need to go back to the router to check it.

Prior to the modem firmware upgrade the only time I would lose IPv6 was when there was a power failure or some other act of god. My IPv6 access stayed up for several thousand hours then without any trouble. Now my system has been able to do "pure" IPv6 for about a week without any trouble as indicated in the linked post. I have gone through one lease renewal as far as I can see from the modem's pages w/o loss of IPv6.

Now, I have the V1 of the WNDR 3700, so as usual YMMV.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt to NetDog

Premium Member

to NetDog
NetDog-
As you and I discussed, it also is affecting the WNR 1000 v2. (Sorry - just saw this was already mentioned - but, another case of it).

This is the router that was previously given out for Xfinity Home. As others mentioned - it'll hold the v6 address 2-3 days max, then gone.
cwpc
join:2003-04-13
Crum Lynne, PA

cwpc to NetDog

to NetDog
I have a WNDR3400v2 with the same issue --> I am on Firmware V1.0.0.38_1.0.61

Thanks

Wayne99021
Premium Member
join:2004-12-28
Mead, WA

Wayne99021

Premium Member

My R7000 Nighthawks firmware is V1.0.2.194_1.0.15 which is the latest and still has the IPV6 issues.

NetDog
Premium Member
Hollywood, FL

1 recommendation

NetDog

Premium Member

Ok I just have to say this is a great community to work with..

If you are seeing something other then IPv6 dropping PD I need you to go into more details please.. Feel free to PM me.. Netgear is taking a look at these issues and now I that I their attention I want to give them a full list of the issues and devices..

Please keep in mind I will be testing what the issues are before I report them to NetGear.. So if I ask a lot of questions it is just that I am tring to recreate and confirm it.. So bottom line the more details the better..
corgi11
join:2013-09-30

corgi11 to NetDog

to NetDog
Please add the Netgear WNR3500L and WNR3500LV2 to your IPV6 drop list as well.

Thanks

PeeWee
Premium Member
join:2001-10-21
Madera, CA

PeeWee

Premium Member

said by corgi11:

Please add the Netgear WNR3500L and WNR3500LV2 to your IPV6 drop list as well.

Thanks

I am running this router with no drops.
corgi11
join:2013-09-30

corgi11 to NetDog

to NetDog
I am running the latest firmware and have Comcast as a provider and my IPV6 address drops every few days on my Netgear WNR3500Lv2

PeeWee
Premium Member
Madera, CA

PeeWee

Premium Member

said by corgi11:

I am running the latest firmware and have Comcast as a provider and my IPV6 address drops every few days on my Netgear WNR3500Lv2

I run Tomato on mine as this router was built with that in mind. I guess when you guys refer to retail you mean firmware that came with it?

iNick
Premium Member
join:2012-12-11
Joliet, IL

iNick

Premium Member

Yes they do as in using Netgear Genie but my WNDR4000 is doing this every 2 day's on the older firmware, as the latest one makes my 5GHZ band not show up on any of my devices
madbavarian
Fremont, CA
Motorola MB8600
Netgear WNDR3700v4
(Software) lede

1 recommendation

madbavarian to NetDog

to NetDog
While you have Netgear's ear, it would be great if you could convince them to make the IPv6 information a first-class citizen on their displays. All the main status screens only show IPv4 information. (Leases, dns servers, uptime etc). Especially with the PD drop issue, it would be great to have the IPv6 info easily accessible. Having this info hidden also explains how Netgear never noticed the problem -- they don't use or test IPv6 very much.
System

to NetDog

Anon

to NetDog

(topic move) ASUS IPv6 router issues..

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 1 followups to it), has been moved to a new topic .. »[IPv6] ASUS IPv6 router issues..

PeeWee
Premium Member
Madera, CA

PeeWee

Premium Member

Re: [IPv6] Netgear retail router IPv6 issues..

said by PeeWee:

said by corgi11:

I run Tomato on mine as this router was built with that in mind. I guess when you guys refer to retail you mean firmware that came with it?

My bad. Running WNR3500L on Shibby's Tomato Firmware 1.28.0000 MIPSR2-116 K26 MiniIPv6

With no drops.
neufuse
join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA

neufuse to NetDog

to NetDog
my experience with the R6300v1 was it would get an IPv6 address fine via DHCP but then after a day or two it would start to degrade to the point in a few days you couldn't even browse anything even on IPv4..... remove ipv6 and it went back to normal again

Streetlight
join:2005-11-07
Colorado Springs, CO

Streetlight to madbavarian

to madbavarian
said by madbavarian:

While you have Netgear's ear, it would be great if you could convince them to make the IPv6 information a first-class citizen on their displays. All the main status screens only show IPv4 information. (Leases, dns servers, uptime etc). Especially with the PD drop issue, it would be great to have the IPv6 info easily accessible. Having this info hidden also explains how Netgear never noticed the problem -- they don't use or test IPv6 very much.

Your point is a good one for both modems and routers as Netgear also makes modems as well as routers. Same for my Zoom modem. The earlier firmware had a table with a columns for IPv4 and IPv6 with data for IPv4 but no IPv6 data. The New firmware doesn't even have the blank table.

Wayne99021
Premium Member
join:2004-12-28
Mead, WA

Wayne99021 to neufuse

Premium Member

to neufuse
My R7000 does exactly the same thing with IPV6 enabled. I think the R6300 uses the same firmware as the R7000.
I am so glad Netdog started this thread and is looking into the problem for all of us with the Netgear routers.
Dealing with Netgear tech support is like banging your head a against a brick wall, all you get is a headache and wasted time.
madbavarian
Fremont, CA
Motorola MB8600
Netgear WNDR3700v4
(Software) lede

1 recommendation

madbavarian to NetDog

to NetDog
Another Netgear issue is that they appear to generate a different DHCP6 DUID every time they boot. The RFC mandates that they use the same DUID for the life of the product.

I can't see the DUID, so I can't be 100% sure that it changes each time the router boots, but the fact that the Comcast DHCP6 is giving the router a new PD allocation on each boot hints strongly that the DUID changed.

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
ARRIS SB6183
Netgear R7000

RR Conductor to Wayne99021

Premium Member

to Wayne99021
said by Wayne99021:

My R7000 Nighthawks firmware is V1.0.2.194_1.0.15 which is the latest and still has the IPV6 issues.

I have the same FW On my R7000 and I'm not having any issues with IPv6.
Expand your moderator at work