spc
Search similar:

uniqs
DigitalManny
join:2014-01-08
Glendale, CA

DigitalManny

My area went digital while back you would think internet would

My area went digital while back you would think internet would be improved because of it and I am not talking about download or upload speed but Netflix streaming. Every night since December 2013 Netflix no longer is streaming HD often same happens around afternoons but mostly nights. I have talked to Netflix and they tell me it is my ISP and when I talk to Charter they blame Netflix. I checked all my wireless router and they are working fine I even have a 8 bonded modem, I also tested other streaming sites and no problem.

Clearly someone does not want to admit they are not giving the service the customer is paying for. May be Netflix should get better servers clearly they have a huge load of customers I could just imagine everyone watching the same movie or show, or they were smart they would just bring the old deal back streaming+DVD where it would balance out bandwidth.

B4Knight
@charter.com

B4Knight

Anon

I have no problems with streaming video and I also have a Cisco 8x4 modem that Charter just recently gave me. I don't have 8 bonded downstream channels yet in my area of SW Michigan. No problems with Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, etc. My node also isn't oversold so my speeds remain pretty consistent even during prime time hours. Can't wait for the 60Mbps speed upgrade. Funny thing is they used to offer a 60Mbps plan back in 2011

defiant
Former Charter lackey
join:2013-03-22
Monroe, MI

defiant to DigitalManny

to DigitalManny
Search around. Subscribers across different providers complain of similar issues. It's a frustrating, to be sure, and complicated issue.

B4Knight
@charter.com

B4Knight

Anon

I've had very few issues for the 2+ years I've been a customer aside from occasional outages but they were usually fixed within 5 hours or so. The first time I had ever had to have a tech come out was last month because squirrels had damaged my lines. I just wish Charter would step up their game as far as upload speeds are concerned. Back in 2011 they had an Ultra60 plan which was 60/5 but it was really expensive. When Rutledge took over all those lower tiers disappeared. So now they are bringing the 60 back but with 1Mbps less upload. If I were CEO I would offer a few more choices. Starting with 15/3, 30/5, 60/10, and 110/20 or more. Hopefully Charter will work to improve its network more since it lost out on buying Time Warner Cable

defiant
Former Charter lackey
Monroe, MI

defiant

Maintaining the upstream spectrum is costly. Additional upstream bandwidth will come, just not as fast as most would like.
Caboosey
join:2006-06-22
Pismo Beach, CA

Caboosey to DigitalManny

to DigitalManny
Charter wont let us use customer own cable modems which violates Antitrust laws.

Charter also does traffic shaping. So I subscribed to a VPN service called »proxpn.com/ and I have my router setup as a OpenVPN client. I was able to get HD streaming video from Netflix. Charter cannot do deep packet inspection on encrypted data like VPN plus VPN services may also have a better non-congested route to Netflix.

FievelMousey
Premium Member
join:2005-11-17
Ronda, NC

FievelMousey

Premium Member

Do like I did file a FCC complaint and trust me they have called me but using number I was told call back person wont never answer it LOL.

B4Knight
@charter.com

B4Knight to Caboosey

Anon

to Caboosey
I've done lots of tests and in my experience Charter doesn't do any traffic shaping and my Netflix performance is great even during peak hours. I don't have to use a VPN or Smart DNS for anything except when I want to watch content outside the US

defiant
Former Charter lackey
Monroe, MI
ARRIS TM1602
Asus RT-AC68
Netgear WNDR3700v4

defiant to Caboosey

to Caboosey
said by Caboosey:

Charter wont let us use customer own cable modems which violates Antitrust laws.

B.S. Really, Antitrust?
Caboosey
join:2006-06-22
Pismo Beach, CA

1 edit

Caboosey

Its consider unlawful tying. Refer to Sherman Antitrust Act Section 1 & 2, and Clayton Antitrust Act Section 3.

defiant
Former Charter lackey
Monroe, MI

defiant

You consider... Get a court to agree, then you'll have something. This policy has been in place for nearly a year and a half and there are no known legal challenges to it.