All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Gallifrasian
join:2014-02-18
Seminole, FL

Gallifrasian

WOW Ping spikes for real-time applications (Skype, League of Legends, etc.)

Web browsing is fine. However, when it comes to keeping a constant connection, my service just drops intermittently and ping rates can spike up to 1,000. It's especially noticeable in League of Legends (but also other real-time applications) where the spike can either completely disconnect me and attempt to reconnect for 45 seconds (1,000 ping spikes) or constantly disconnect at very, very frequent rates (300-900 ping spikes). I ran some commands and found that my packets were constantly being dropped using www.google.com (about a 3% Request Timed Out rate on a wireless connection which should only be significantly less than 1%).

This is 100% an ISP issue (whether it's the service itself or the modem, which I have the Arris tg852) because I had no connectivity issues that came even close to this kind of spike when I had Bright House a month ago.

My Information:
Plan: 15Mbps
Modem: Arris tg852
Router: Apple Airport Extreme Base Station (NOT the issue, I know everything about this router both software and hardware-wise. However, I'm not an expert on the Arris modem I have, so a compatibility issue is a possibility, but not likely as I have the same issue when I use a wired connection)

I've got a hunch that there are some latency spikes on WOW's server end that's causing this. I highly doubt it's because of traffic since I've also tested this during every time of the day (I'm mostly using the internet from 10pm-6am EST as I work night shift and get home late).

I've done tons of research online for any solutions to no avail. Some threads from this website alone have the same problem:

»Ping Issues With League of Legends

»I live in Shelby Twp. and internet is horrible, anyone else?

»Random Lag Spikes when playing games

None of them have been fixed. The same issues occur to people from all over the U.S. I live in Florida, but someone from Michigan (second link) is on the same boat as me. I'll have to switch providers again if nothing can be done. I've been patient and waiting a month to see if it's just every now and then and if I could fix it myself, but it's every day every hour of every minute. My only gripe with Bright House was the constant raise in modem rental price, but if it means getting a stable connection, then I don't mind just buying my own modem. I'm a heavy real-time application user and it's a must.
markm5
join:2013-10-06
Clearwater, FL

markm5

You need to call WOW about this. It may be a bad connector in your premises. The tech has tools to check signal levels and for foreign signals on the line.
tangosmango
join:2014-02-27

tangosmango to Gallifrasian

to Gallifrasian
I am getting the exact issue with the exact game (LoL) and VoIP program (Skype).

»downdetector.com/status/wow/map/

Whenever I get the issues, I visit that website and area I'm in (Troy), lights up like Christmas.

This has been happening every night for the last 3-4 days. I'm wondering if this is just an on-going issue that will be resolved soon or if I need to call out a tech.

Anyone give advice?