Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1

BioShock Studio Irrational Games Is Shutting Down

»kotaku.com/bioshock-studio-irrat···25186316
quote:
Irrational Games, the studio that makes BioShock, is shutting down. BioShock creator Ken Levine said today that he plans to move on to smaller, narrative-heavy games that will be released digitally.

Damn, I thought Bioshock series was doing good. I'm betting EA buys it, then destroys it.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

1 recommendation

What is wrong with people as of late?

said by developers :
I make ultra successful stuff. OMG SOMEONE SAID SOMETHING BAD ON THE INTERNETS. I'M SHUTTING DOWN. Going to go make other little stupid failure games that no one cares about!

Next we'll hear DayZ people are quitting to go make Pong remakes for Windows 8 Mobile.
--
"If something about the human body disgusts you, complain to the manufacturer" - Lenny Bruce
What this country needs is a good five dollar plasma weapon.

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to Snakeoil
said by Snakeoil:

narrative-heavy games

Nooooooooooooo...

Jehu
Hodor
Premium
join:2002-09-13
MA
kudos:2
reply to Snakeoil
As much as I love the Bioshock series, I think Infinite was the place to end it. Any more would be meh. Levine obviously feels hindered by the need to make combat heavy games, which is what the current market demands.

Makes sense to break up the party and focus on other genres he's interested in. I think he's a very talented and creative guy and look forward to what he produces next.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

1 recommendation

reply to Snakeoil
said by Snakeoil:

Damn, I thought Bioshock series was doing good.

I think the idea is that you close it on a high note, before it becomes a parody of itself.... look no further than True Blood and Dexter if you want examples of projects that went on for way too long.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

The Flash
Go Leafs Go
Premium
join:2002-10-17
Toronto, ON
reply to Snakeoil
Sucks for people getting laid off, should have sold it off or something then start a new company.

TruSm0ke

join:2005-07-21
Michigan
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Snakeoil
I think Ken Levine wants to get more into the The Walking Dead series of game development and capture a bite of their extreme popularity as of late. Not necessarily a bad thing-- at the moment-- but I wouldn't close down a relatively successful, big name studio to chase after what is likely just a fad.

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to Mike