uniqs
share rss forum feed

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium
join:2000-11-09
14225-2105

1 edit

Prices in the Buffalo, NY market to go up (again)

Click for full size
Important information about your account.

Thank you for being a Time Warner Cable customer. We appreciate your business and hope you’ve been enjoying your services.

We want you to get the most value possible out of your services, which is why we continually introduce new benefits and features like faster Internet, hundreds of thousands of free WiFi hotspots, crystal-clear HD channels and innovative apps that let you watch live TV on virtually any device.

It is also important to us that we keep you informed of any changes to your service. This is why we wanted to make you aware that you will see a change in the cost of your TWC services in your next bill.

This change is being driven by several factors. One is that the rates TV networks and programming providers are charging us to deliver your favorite channels have risen to new heights in the last year. We work our hardest to control these costs on your behalf, but the price of programming is increasing dramatically. Another factor is that the cost to maintain and grow our network has also increased. This investment is critical, however, as it allows us to continue bringing you the innovative features and reliable service you deserve. We’re committed to offering packages that meet your needs and your budget. If those have changed, simply call us at 1-855-224-4211 for a personalized account review. We’re confident we can find a package that continues to deliver unmatched value.

Thank you for choosing TWC. We look forward to bringing you even more great ways to enjoy the entertainment you love.

Want to learn more about our new features? Visit twc.com today.
So right now my Internet is $54.99, so will be going up to $57.99, and it looks like at least another $2.25 is going to be tacked onto TV, so bringing that from $14.99 to at least $17.24, plus of course another 8.75% of the increases too for Uncle Andrew and Uncle Mark.

Sigh....it seems like it wasn't that many months ago that they decided to up our bills...in two stages too. And now there's this (potential) merger looming...even more increases then?

And oh...new features? No, thanks. I'd say, "that's too much as it is," but that's not wholly true. Since FiOS is (without any promotions) about 30% more per month, I can't say that or otherwise I'd be jumping ship.

EDIT: To explain for those not familiar with this territory...New York State (Gov. Andrew Cuomo, a.k.a. Uncle Andrew) charges 4% sales tax, and Erie County (Mark Poloncarz, County Executive, a.k.a. Uncle Mark) charges another 4.75%.
--
English is a difficult enough language to interpret correctly when its rules are followed, let alone when a writer chooses not to follow those rules.

Jeopardy! replies and randomcaps REALLY suck!

Racerbob
Premium
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY
kudos:1
They are out of their minds. Exactly why later this year I am going to be needing to look at DirecTV and (shudder!) Frontier DSL. Lord, I really don't want to go that route for internet service. The DirecTV part I don't mind.

Phroz

join:2005-11-23
Lewiston, ME

1 recommendation

reply to rchandra
Yup, got the same notice with my bill today... $77.99 for 30/5 now

Rates keep going up, buy my pay sure isn't.

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium
14225-2105
all the same prices in the grid too? Or are they different for ME?

BTW...I did a little double take there. I saw on your post "Lewiston, ME" and for a second I thought it was Lewiston, NY ( which is near Niagara Falls).

Happydude32
Premium
join:2005-07-16
reply to rchandra
I’m going to get killed for this, but as usual, can’t say I care. THIS IS GREAT NEWS!!! Work pays for my internet, but will only pay for the Standard level of service, plus modem rental. Since Signature Home Premium is just one big line item on the bill without anything broken down, all this time I thought Standard was $45 + $6 rental and have been expensing $51/month. If Standard was $55 (didn’t realize that) is going up to $58 that means now I can expense $64. Woohoo! Thank you Time Warner
--
Phil Robertson/Ted Nugent 2016
4/17/13 - A Beautiful Day For Freedom, Thank You United States Senate!
Message to Anti-Gun Liberals: HA HA! - Hussein Obama 0, American Public 1
Repeal 0bamacare Now!/Marriage = Man + Woman

Phroz

Lewiston, ME
reply to rchandra
Click for full size
said by rchandra:

all the same prices in the grid too? Or are they different for ME?

More or less the same. It looks like Standard TV is a little cheaper here but I only have internet right now.

Rick4769

join:2012-11-21
Buffalo, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

I pulled the trigger and ordered Verizon FIOS today with install next Monday.
Ultimate TV package with Starz, HBO, 2 DVR's, 75/35 internet, and digital phone with battery backup. 2 year price guarantee and $400.00 Visa card.

Once I read that Comcast was buying Time Warner that was it for me. I know people that have had Comcast and I have heard nothing but horror stories. I did like Time Warner but Comcast was the deal breaker for me.

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:4

4 edits
said by Rick4769:

I pulled the trigger and ordered Verizon FIOS today with install next Monday.
Ultimate TV package with Starz, HBO, 2 DVR's, 75/35 internet, and digital phone with battery backup. 2 year price guarantee and $400.00 Visa card.

Once I read that Comcast was buying Time Warner that was it for me. I know people that have had Comcast and I have heard nothing but horror stories. I did like Time Warner but Comcast was the deal breaker for me.

why the heck are they charging for Navigator now? I mean it is developed in house they don't have to pay licensing fees for it. Really $3.27 for the first outlet and $2.77 a month after that for each boxes to have the guide is a rip off. plus add in the $1.50 for additional outlet you get $4.27 for each additional outlet adds up quick. TWC may have to reverse those charge plans or they could have a lot of box returns. I wonder if the guide charge is for cablecards?

Racerbob
Premium
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY
reply to Rick4769
Wow. Really ? I don't have anything even similar to that to pull the trigger on here 70 miles east of you.

Rick4769

join:2012-11-21
Buffalo, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon FiOS
I did not want anything to do with Comcast and the Verizon FIOS deal was right for me. I will actually be paying less than my current bill from TWC. In addition, I had only one DVR and now I will have two with faster internet speed 75/35 as compared to TWC's 50/5.

Phroz

Lewiston, ME
reply to motorola870
said by motorola870:

I wonder if the guide charge is for cablecards?

I can't figure out under which circumstances people would pay that fee. The Guide is already included in the cost of the box. And cable card devices don't have access to the guide.

teemskeet

@207.237.90.x
reply to motorola870
said by motorola870:

why the heck are they charging for Navigator now? I mean it is developed in house they don't have to pay licensing fees for it. Really $3.27 for the first outlet and $2.77 a month after that for each boxes to have the guide is a rip off. plus add in the $1.50 for additional outlet you get $4.27 for each additional outlet adds up quick. TWC may have to reverse those charge plans or they could have a lot of box returns. I wonder if the guide charge is for cablecards?

developed in house yes but those developers still need to get paid. and those endless bug fixes....yup money goes to those same developers that fix 1 problem but create another.

jpatton1979

join:2011-08-10
Lexington, KY
reply to motorola870
said by motorola870:

I wonder if the guide charge is for cablecards?

Nope. CableCARD has it's own charge. For me it's $2/mo. Compared to WMC's guide, I think Navigator and iGuide look completely like garbage. The ONLY thing I miss by using a CC is access to VOD.

Phroz

Lewiston, ME
reply to rchandra
Okay, I wasn't looking forward to another increase so I called to see what they could do for me.

I'm currently paying $74.99 for 30/5. They said they couldn't get me a better price... but they could upgrade me to 50/5 for $64.99. What? I don't need the faster speed... but it saves me $10/month and the price is good for a year so I avoid the increase in April as well. So I took it.

kilrathi
Premium
join:2005-04-22
Rockaway Park, NY
reply to rchandra
Well I am paying 104$ or so for ultimate internet and they upped the speed on it to 100/5 now although they still call it ultimate 50..... NO I BET IN FEW MONTHS THEY GONNA SAY now that you have 100 we gonna jack ur price, then comcast will take over and jack it up again.... I sense it.

whiteyonenh

join:2004-08-09
Keene, NH
reply to Phroz
Yep, I did that back in November, will revisit the bill once the promo expires. Upside is I got a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7-inch out of it, cause that was the promo at the time. Downside is, my current router hates 50/5, so it's looking like a router upgrade may be in order at some point.

AMDUSER
Premium
join:2003-05-28
Earth,
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Phroz
Click for full size
It looks like the cost of the internet is going up quite a bit.. i pay $34.99 for 15/1 Meg. With what TWC is going to be charging [$57.99 ], I may as well go back to At&t when the contract is up.

I hope they sell off SE WI to Charter... even they are cheaper.
The $29.99 on Charters website is for 30 Meg...
»www.charter.com/browse/browse-bu···ome_hero

Wilsdom

join:2009-08-06
reply to rchandra
Extending modem fee to Earthlink? My modem is like 10 years old, and would be scrapped, what a scam

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium
14225-2105
Hey, you want to continue to rent, take it into your nearest office and tell them you want to swap it. I'm not quite sure what you want to tell them if they ask why you're doing that though. You should at least get something for the money you're paying, instead of just urinating it away.

Personally, I'd be buying and insisting they remove the modem rental fee from your bill. It sounds like, if you've had that for 10 yrs, it's not like there's a mitigating reason, such as you're prone to lightning strikes in your area so being able to swap at the drop of a hat might have some value.
--
English is a difficult enough language to interpret correctly when its rules are followed, let alone when a writer chooses not to follow those rules.

egilbe

join:2011-03-07
reply to Phroz
I live in Lewiston and my bill is only 54.95 for 30/5. No TV services.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:5
reply to rchandra
Is this only for that city or for everyone?

rjbasye

join:2000-05-24
Dry Ridge, KY
I received notice about my promo rate ending and it includes 30/5 at the normal price in my area, Northern KY which is 79.99.

jacko15

@rr.com
reply to antdude
TWC Northeast Ohio. This month's bill. I haven't received any increase notice....yet.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to rchandra
»www.localsyr.com/story/d/story/t···qDZ0I72A

Price increases hitting central NY too. I couldn't even make it a month after switching from VZ FiOS before I get hammered with price increases. Looks like I'll hang around to get my Samsung and then I'll head back to VZ and try to lock in a decent price for a couple of years. After that I'll no longer be able to afford internet and TV.
--
Escaped Maryland with a win after a couple of losses. Our back court is hurting and it's good to get a couple of days off to rest. UVA Sat for all the ACC marbles.

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium
14225-2105
reply to rchandra
What's really kind of amazing is it took until yesterday for WBEN-AM to report this. I guess next time I see this, I might give them a call. Actually, I guess TWC waited until yesterday to make a press release or similar.
--

unknvoip
RIP goose
Premium
join:2006-07-25
Rochester, NY
Reviews:
·ViaTalk
said by rchandra:

What's really kind of amazing is it took until yesterday for WBEN-AM to report this.

You would think that someone in the newsroom would read their bill inserts. Here in Rochester notice was in my last bill about the changes and it was a good two weeks before the press reported on it.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:11
reply to rchandra
said by rchandra:

What's really kind of amazing is it took until yesterday for WBEN-AM to report this. I guess next time I see this, I might give them a call. Actually, I guess TWC waited until yesterday to make a press release or similar.

Is it really news?

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium
14225-2105

1 edit
Well, let's see...Karl Bode took my suggestion to feature it as news and accepted it to put on the front page. The news director at WBEN chose to air it during multiple news breaks. Yeah, for at least a subset of people, it was considered news. If you mean is it news now, I'd say no, except to include it in the phrase "old news." (which, if you think of it, is an oxymoron)

EDIT: Subsequently, I've also heard it as a news item on WHAM-AM.
--

Happydude32
Premium
join:2005-07-16
Karl has a personal agenda and deep bias against the cable industry and would sell his grandmothers soul if it meant he could make Comcast, Time Warner, Cox, Charter and others look bad. So it's no surprise it was posted on the front page of this site.

WBEN, the station that every time a half an inch of snow falls they air promos and bumpers about how awesome they are because they warned the public about the impending storm of the century so we can all run out and buy milk and bread.
--
Phil Robertson/Ted Nugent 2016
4/17/13 - A Beautiful Day For Freedom, Thank You United States Senate!
Message to Anti-Gun Liberals: HA HA! - Hussein Obama 0, American Public 1
Repeal 0bamacare Now!/Marriage = Man + Woman

AMDUSER
Premium
join:2003-05-28
Earth,
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Phroz
That basically matches what TWC Milwaukee sent to customers. The notice showed up in the bill for next month..

If TWC thinks 15 Meg [stand alone] is worth $57.99 - I don't have any problems with switching back to At&t. [Based on a quick check of At&t website, I can get up to 18 Meg. Nice, that means they did work in the area.]