spc
Search similar:

uniqs

anetworkbehi
@verizon.net

anetworkbehi

Anon

[STB] When are the new STB's coming???

So, in a month my current FIOS contract ends and I need to decide if I should stay or leave. I like the speed of the internet but the two channel STB is not good compared to other options (cable or sat).

Before I decide to switch I wanted to see what the word out there is for the new VMS???
Any rollout date? Are they going to start in one area and roll it our across the country in 8-12 months?

Thanks, A Fios Customer that once belived Fios was "A Network Ahead" but is really "A network behind"
bsangs
join:2002-08-21
Montclair, NJ

bsangs

Nobody knows for sure. There are other third-party options for hardware, or just live with the two tuners until the VMS models start being offered. I don't find FiOS to be "a network" behind though. I'll take their speed, reliability and pricing pretty much any day of the week over the competitors' offerings in my area.
webcobbler
join:2013-03-09
Rumson, NJ

webcobbler to anetworkbehi

to anetworkbehi
It was announced that they would start deploying the VMS at the end of Q1 this year, after the full rollout of IMG 1.9.5.

Besides that announcement, idk if they will delay it further, or not. Nor did they say when and where it will 1st be available.
nickyboy4
join:2008-07-24
Farmingdale, NY

nickyboy4 to anetworkbehi

to anetworkbehi
A CS Rep told me June.

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

Nezmo to anetworkbehi

MVM

to anetworkbehi
Again, Verizon have proved their announcements mean nothing.

I've said it before so many times I forget how many... getting excited about something Verizon announces is setting yourself up for disappointed. Get excited when you can actually place an order.

VZ announcements are about as reliable as new Apple product rumours. Actually, I think the latter may actually be more reliable.

Look folks, when a company continually makes an announcement for something and never actually hits that date it's one of two things... incompetence or the company filling the airwaves with buzz to stay relevant and keep folks interested. I suspect with VZ it's a bit of both.

JH28
@bankofamerica.com

JH28

Anon

Oh come on i cannot believe nobody has posted this answer yet

Soon

Same as it's been for 3 years on when will we get more hd channels etc

obeythelaw
Premium Member
join:2003-04-16
Warren, NJ

obeythelaw to anetworkbehi

Premium Member

to anetworkbehi
I gave up in the middle of last year and when the Tivo Roamio route. Picked up the midlevel model and a Tivo Mini. Although I pay $15 a month for the Roamio, I paid full price for the Mini so I don't have to pay an extra box fee for that. Worst case scenario, when my Fios contract is up I can take it to cable if I want.
For me, I wanted the 6 tunes I can get but some of the other integrated functionality such as hulu and netflix and ability to stream easily. Couldn't wait for Verizon any longer.

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

1 recommendation

More Fiber to JH28

MVM

to JH28
said by JH28 :

i cannot believe nobody has posted this answer yet

THe time from now to release remains a constant.
ansky
join:2009-05-18
West Orange, NJ

ansky to anetworkbehi

to anetworkbehi
I talked to a friend of mine who is a Fios installer and even he had no idea when the new STB's would be made available. So I would not count on it happening anytime soon.

jjam
@verizon.net

jjam

Anon

Should be in april. Just got word of training starting on the new units

marhil0
join:2008-10-21
Exton, PA

marhil0

April 2014 or 2015 ?
JackBauer
join:2006-08-24
Schenectady, NY

JackBauer to jjam

to jjam
said by jjam :

Just got word of training starting on the new units

When does training start?

Anxious to learn the final details / specifications...
Expand your moderator at work
tnsprin
join:2003-07-23
Bradenton, FL

tnsprin to JackBauer

to JackBauer

Re: [STB] When are the new STB's coming???

manuals were posted
see
»forums.verizon.com/t5/Fi ··· 1#M48762

HenryFarpolo
Premium Member
join:2003-08-31
Andover, MA

HenryFarpolo

Premium Member

Nice find-good sign!! I'm sure the comments will flow as we read through the manuals.

Now we need to see if there will be a general rollout or a staggered rollout by VHO.
webcobbler
Rumson, NJ

webcobbler

Yes, Speaking of Comments...

I read through both, and basically my only questions is: with the new 1080p Passthrough option set to "on", is that beneficial or not?

I believe it is, because whatever is sent to these new boxes, can natively just passthrough the 1080p content as is to your TV. Whether it is 60p content, or a 24p movie. Your TV won't have to do the work to convert it, like it has to now with 1080i.

I might be missing something, but I do not see a downside to NOT enable the 1080p Passthrough option.
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL

said by webcobbler:

I believe it is, because whatever is sent to these new boxes, can natively just passthrough the 1080p content as is to your TV. Whether it is 60p content, or a 24p movie. Your TV won't have to do the work to convert it, like it has to now with 1080i.

The spec says 1080p24 pass through.
webcobbler
Rumson, NJ

webcobbler

I am looking at the VMS link.

page 36,38,67,68 talk about 1080p passthrough / Output.
Page 40 and 68 is 1080 24p Passthrough

Again. Am I missing something?
Timothy28
join:2006-05-13
Lewisville, TX

Timothy28 to anetworkbehi

to anetworkbehi
Ok i just read through the manuals for the vms and the ip cllent set top boxes. A few things. Finally we will be able to pause, rewind and fast forward live tv from any tv. I have a few questions though that maybe can be answered. Maintain a personal recorded program library and access it using the IPG. Does this mean each tv can have its own personal recordings? Simultaneously watch two programs,
switching easily between them using the swap
key (
Dependent upon program guide support and provided remote control) This is interesting but how? Will it be like a PIP?

Record a program in the background while viewing another live program. I take this to mean each stb will have two tuners that can record to the vms. Which makes me think there are no tuners in the VMS itself. If the tuners are in the ip clients themselves and not the VMS it has to allow more then 6 recordings/streams at once because it says up to 4 connected devices.
marc3565
join:2009-10-08

marc3565

pretty sure it's 6 tuners on the VMS. none on the IP STB. When you are working the IP STB it is using a VMS tuner to play/pause etc.
I believe it's one library on the VMS for all recordings that all 4 IP STB can access and view
Timothy28
join:2006-05-13
Lewisville, TX

Timothy28

Ok, some of the wording is a bit confusing. If the 6 tuners are on the VMS itself, if you have 4 connected clients one of them will not be able to watch one and record another at the same time if all tuners are in use at the same time. I'm interested in how the swap key will work to view two things at once.

K3SGM
- -... ...- -
Premium Member
join:2006-01-17
Columbia, PA

K3SGM to jjam

Premium Member

to jjam
I wonder if there is any word as to whether or not VZ is going to let existing customers self-install this new equipment.

Right now I have 3 7232 DVR's, which give me 6 tuners in 3 boxes, each with 1GB external storage..

This setup will put the 6 tuners in one box, with 2 IP based "thin client" boxes, so I don't need to pay rent on 3 DVR units, plus the Home-media DVR fee(I do realize the VMS is going to be more rent than a Home-media DVR), but probably less than renting 3 separate DVR's.

It's also nice, because it centralizes storage, and only the VMS needs to be on an UPS, just in case the power goes out.
Router on UPS, ONT on UPS, VMS on UPS, and I won't miss a scheduled recording.

Hopefully, the eSATA port will also be enabled from the start, so external storage won't be an issue(2-3TB external drive capability please!).

If they let existing customers do their own equipment activations, like they do now, would this just be like going to a Verizon store and picking up/swapping out the new equipment?

Sixto
Premium Member
join:2005-09-16
Northeast

Sixto to anetworkbehi

Premium Member

to anetworkbehi
It's the same architecture as the TiVo Roamio and the DirecTV Genie.

The VMS is the actual DVR and has the tuners and the storage, along with the series list, and todo list.

The remote boxes are just clients that access all DVR content from the VMS.

It's like having a 7232 with 6 tuners and 1GB hard drive, and 7100's but without their own tuners, thus they steal a tuner from the VMS. Most everything else will be mostly the same.
tongyang
join:2003-07-18
Alexandria, VA

tongyang to anetworkbehi

to anetworkbehi
Looks like the VMS has an ethernet port... Maybe we can use the DVR as an MoCA-ethernet bridge?

anetworkbehi
@verizon.net

anetworkbehi

Anon

I heard the new STB's will be wifi capable doing away with MOCA or Ethernet connections.

frankpf3
Verizon Fios
join:2007-08-09
Huntington Station, NY

frankpf3

I'm wondering if anyone with the "DVR for Life" credit, will lose that credit if they switch to the VMS setup. That would make me not want to migrate to the new STB's.

HenryFarpolo
Premium Member
join:2003-08-31
Andover, MA

HenryFarpolo to anetworkbehi

Premium Member

to anetworkbehi
said by anetworkbehi :

I heard the new STB's will be wifi capable doing away with MOCA or Ethernet connections.

WiFi will be for streaming to portable devices eventually. MoCA/ethernet are still used.
jr461
join:2006-12-21
Montvale, NJ

jr461 to Sixto

to Sixto
said by Sixto:

It's like having a 7232 with 6 tuners and 1GB hard drive, and 7100's but without their own tuners, thus they steal a tuner from the VMS. Most everything else will be mostly the same.

I am not sure what this means. Do the "dummy" boxes elsewhere occupy tuners when they are watching live TV? I would have 1 VMS and 4 dummy boxes. Theoretically there could be only 1 tuner available for recording??
marc3565
join:2009-10-08

marc3565

said by jr461:

I am not sure what this means. Do the "dummy" boxes elsewhere occupy tuners when they are watching live TV? I would have 1 VMS and 4 dummy boxes. Theoretically there could be only 1 tuner available for recording??

Correct. That's the way i read it. If all 4 IP STB are in use and the VMS is using one there'd only be one left. Maybe if an IP STB is off it doesn't occupy a tuner like current STBs do

Sixto
Premium Member
join:2005-09-16
Northeast

Sixto to jr461

Premium Member

to jr461
Correct. The client boxes do not have their own tuners, thus if all 4 are watching LIVE TV and the VMS is watching LIVE TV then only one other show could be recorded.

Just as the Roamio and Genie are architected. And they free up the tuner when not in use.