spc
Search similar:

uniqs

vios
@verizon.net

vios to HenryFarpolo

Anon

to HenryFarpolo

Re: [STB] When are the new STB's coming???

I believe u can keep digital adapters and cable cards

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

said by vios :

I believe u can keep digital adapters and cable cards

That's not what he meant, he meant he wants to decide if paying for the new box is worth it for him or to just keep the free adapter.

vios
@verizon.net

vios

Anon

said by matcarl:

That's not what he meant, he meant he wants to decide if paying for the new box is worth it for him or to just keep the free adapter.

OH, so sorry

joelny
@mycingular.net

joelny

Anon

Anyone know if you will be able to order online and self install this or have to pay for a tech visit with install fees.

matcarl
Premium Member
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

Since every box would have to be replaced, I would think they would want to make sure it's all working right, at least when they are first released anyway. So I'm guessing they would want to install them.

nycdave
MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY

1 recommendation

nycdave to joelny

MVM

to joelny
VMS requires a technician visit and install.

DarkHelmet
join:2014-02-21

DarkHelmet to joelny

to joelny
said by joelny :

Anyone know if you will be able to order online and self install this or have to pay for a tech visit with install fees.

They wouldn't get far trying to charge more fees to switch. If it needs a tech it should be at no charge.

matcarl
Premium Member
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

said by DarkHelmet:

said by joelny :

They wouldn't get far trying to charge more fees to switch. If it needs a tech it should be at no charge.

But it's also something not required, it's something the consumer wants to change. No one is telling you the new boxes are needed, it's an option, so they have every right to charge you.

DarkHelmet
join:2014-02-21

DarkHelmet

said by matcarl:

said by DarkHelmet:

said by joelny :

But it's also something not required, it's something the consumer wants to change. No one is telling you the new boxes are needed, it's an option, so they have every right to charge you.

But they get more money in monthly fees so it benefits them to install it in your house. If there's a fee they discourage people getting it and lose monthly fees. It's a bad business model. If it's a one-time fee that's one thing but a one-time fee plus monthly fee would be a poor business move. Last time I checked Verizon isn't that stupid.
ansky
join:2009-05-18
West Orange, NJ

ansky

said by DarkHelmet:

If it's a one-time fee that's one thing but a one-time fee plus monthly fee would be a poor business move. Last time I checked Verizon isn't that stupid.

That's exactly how Directv used to do it (not sure if they still do). Back in 2006 when I got their HD DVR, I had to pay a $300 lease fee up front, then a $6.99 monthly rental fee. So it was basically like throwing $300 out the window just for the right to rent the DVR.

frankpf3
Verizon Fios
join:2007-08-09
Huntington Station, NY

frankpf3 to nycdave

to nycdave
Why Dave?

nycdave
MVM
Melville, NY

3 recommendations

nycdave

MVM

Correction - there will be a self install option.
webcobbler
join:2013-03-09
Rumson, NJ

webcobbler

That is good news, however, I think of it this way:

Transitioning from 7xxx series boxes to the VMS boxes SHOULD require a Tech visit and Install. An example is of this is a new Gigabit ONT, and a new Gigabit 802.11ac Router.

The "current" Rev. I 802.11n router tech is already outdated. VZ should have the ac routers at least "in the works" for deployment now. IMO.

Anyhow...

Once the Tech comes and installs everything needed, and things settle down, you are good to go with the FiOS Mobile App and other apps that need ones Credentials etc. Those should all work as intended after the VMS transition. (Assuming it will work as it does now with the 7232 DVR etc.)

Like today, if a STB fails, VZ sends you a new one to replace it, as well as a Router if need be. Those are Self-Installs.

So my point is: Once the Tech comes and puts in the new system, so-to-say, needing to replace a VMS box will be as it is today, a self-install. However, the initial swap should be done by a Tech.

Just my 2 cents.

mushmouth
join:2001-12-13
Earth

mushmouth

The only issue I can see is that you will need a cat 5 run from ont to bhr looking over the install notes quickly and from what I have heard.
If the customer is willing to run to cat to where they need the bhr a self install should be as easy as equipment swap, as long as wiring and ends are good.
Don't recall if a wecb will work on a vms setup, if it does, but I'm kind of thinking it doesn't,it would make things much easier.

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

bohratom to webcobbler

to webcobbler
said by webcobbler:

So if it's $19.99 for the 7232 HMDVR and $5.99 for a 7100 HD STB now

Web, stbs are $7.99 now in our parts of the woods....
flashcore
join:2007-01-23
united state

flashcore to nycdave

to nycdave
Is there any word on if this thing will require the Verizon router or will it work with the NIM-100? I REALLY do not want to re-install that pile of crap on my network again, it causes way more problems that it solves.

nycdave
MVM
Melville, NY

nycdave

MVM

NIM-100's are not MoCA 1.1 compliant, so that won't work.
mikev
Premium Member
join:2002-05-04
Leesburg, VA

mikev

Premium Member

An Actiontec ECB2200V or ECB2500V would work though, as they are both MoCA 1.1...

anetworkbehi
@verizon.net

anetworkbehi to vios

Anon

to vios
Late last year there was a STB price increase of $1. How much more can the prices go up?
Right now I pay $43 for a MRDVR and 3 other STBs. I really hope the prices stay the same.

The other question is, how much is VZ going to charge to upgrade. Remember when the new STB's with the larger HD came out there was a $40 upgrade fee. I wonder how much the upgrade fee is going to be to get these new boxes..

K3SGM
- -... ...- -
Premium Member
join:2006-01-17
Columbia, PA

K3SGM to nycdave

Premium Member

to nycdave
Any word yet as to what kind of external storage capacity the VMS boxes will support?

It already has an eSATA port on it, but will it be enabled from the start?

I'm personally hoping for 2TB or more.
fios joe
join:2007-10-14
Toms River, NJ

fios joe to anetworkbehi

to anetworkbehi
I'm a fios tech here in central,NJ (tomsriver). We have them in our shop ready to go. I haven't heard anything definitive regarding them yet. Possibly May/June. We haven't gotten any training on them yet. Cool looking boxes though.
billhere
join:2011-10-21
Santa Monica, CA

billhere

Talk about a glacial roll out, although I guess this is progress.
fios joe
join:2007-10-14
Toms River, NJ

fios joe to webcobbler

to webcobbler
Very well spoken webcobbler... Make Vz roll OUR trucks!!! As far as tech charges goes, no one works for free.. Then again people have the right to negotiate that with our CS Reps. Just my .02

I'm a Fios Tech here in Nj (tomsriver area) and while I think this new vms has cool features, it will cost many jobs here at Vz.

I do fear the day when Vz has no use for me anymore with this wireless option. 16 yrs under my belt, family and all just to be kicked to the curb. So thanks to everyone who feels the wireless stb's, no truck rolls , and self installs are great options. Their goes the unemployment rate.. Time will tell..
Timothy28
join:2006-05-13
Lewisville, TX

Timothy28 to fios joe

to fios joe
Hope you start training soon so you can start deployment.
nickyboy4
join:2008-07-24
Farmingdale, NY

nickyboy4 to anetworkbehi

to anetworkbehi
I have 2 DVR's and 3 hd boxes,(5 rooms) runs me 60.95 a month. what would the new set up cost me??

miataman
I've attained a PHD in DVR.
Premium Member
join:2010-10-27
Chelmsford, MA

miataman to anetworkbehi

Premium Member

to anetworkbehi
I've noticed on one of the menu items, it gives a date like April 14 for Multicast to be available. I wonder if that's the official start date for this equipment, which is required for multicast..
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL

Can you point out which menu item? Thanks.
said by miataman:

I've noticed on one of the menu items, it gives a date like April 14 for Multicast to be available. I wonder if that's the official start date for this equipment, which is required for multicast..

crgauth
join:2004-05-18
Glen Burnie, MD

crgauth to fios joe

to fios joe
Operators were replaced by phone switches.
Yes it sucks to be in a job that slowly goes away due to technology.
But it sucks to be on the other side when you have to wait 4-8 hours for a tech to arrive (not just FIOS, but all techs).

miataman
I've attained a PHD in DVR.
Premium Member
join:2010-10-27
Chelmsford, MA

miataman to PJL

Premium Member

to PJL
said by PJL:

Can you point out which menu item? Thanks.

MENU / CUSTOMER SUPPORT / TOP SUPPORT TOOLS / SELF DIAGNOSTICS / OK to run..
Timothy28
join:2006-05-13
Lewisville, TX

Timothy28 to PJL

to PJL
Are you sure it says April 14th? On mine it says 7/14.