rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium Member
join:2000-11-09
14225-2105

rchandra to Phroz

Premium Member

to Phroz

Re: Prices in the Buffalo, NY market to go up (again)

all the same prices in the grid too? Or are they different for ME?

BTW...I did a little double take there. I saw on your post "Lewiston, ME" and for a second I thought it was Lewiston, NY ( which is near Niagara Falls).
Phroz
join:2005-11-23
Lewiston, ME

Phroz

Click for full size
said by rchandra:

all the same prices in the grid too? Or are they different for ME?

More or less the same. It looks like Standard TV is a little cheaper here but I only have internet right now.

Rick4769
join:2012-11-21
Buffalo, NY

1 recommendation

Rick4769

I pulled the trigger and ordered Verizon FIOS today with install next Monday.
Ultimate TV package with Starz, HBO, 2 DVR's, 75/35 internet, and digital phone with battery backup. 2 year price guarantee and $400.00 Visa card.

Once I read that Comcast was buying Time Warner that was it for me. I know people that have had Comcast and I have heard nothing but horror stories. I did like Time Warner but Comcast was the deal breaker for me.

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

4 edits

motorola870

said by Rick4769:

I pulled the trigger and ordered Verizon FIOS today with install next Monday.
Ultimate TV package with Starz, HBO, 2 DVR's, 75/35 internet, and digital phone with battery backup. 2 year price guarantee and $400.00 Visa card.

Once I read that Comcast was buying Time Warner that was it for me. I know people that have had Comcast and I have heard nothing but horror stories. I did like Time Warner but Comcast was the deal breaker for me.

why the heck are they charging for Navigator now? I mean it is developed in house they don't have to pay licensing fees for it. Really $3.27 for the first outlet and $2.77 a month after that for each boxes to have the guide is a rip off. plus add in the $1.50 for additional outlet you get $4.27 for each additional outlet adds up quick. TWC may have to reverse those charge plans or they could have a lot of box returns. I wonder if the guide charge is for cablecards?

Racerbob
Premium Member
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY

Racerbob to Rick4769

Premium Member

to Rick4769
Wow. Really ? I don't have anything even similar to that to pull the trigger on here 70 miles east of you.

Rick4769
join:2012-11-21
Buffalo, NY

Rick4769

I did not want anything to do with Comcast and the Verizon FIOS deal was right for me. I will actually be paying less than my current bill from TWC. In addition, I had only one DVR and now I will have two with faster internet speed 75/35 as compared to TWC's 50/5.
Phroz
Lewiston, ME

Phroz to motorola870

to motorola870
said by motorola870:

I wonder if the guide charge is for cablecards?

I can't figure out under which circumstances people would pay that fee. The Guide is already included in the cost of the box. And cable card devices don't have access to the guide.

teemskeet
@207.237.90.x

teemskeet to motorola870

Anon

to motorola870
said by motorola870:

why the heck are they charging for Navigator now? I mean it is developed in house they don't have to pay licensing fees for it. Really $3.27 for the first outlet and $2.77 a month after that for each boxes to have the guide is a rip off. plus add in the $1.50 for additional outlet you get $4.27 for each additional outlet adds up quick. TWC may have to reverse those charge plans or they could have a lot of box returns. I wonder if the guide charge is for cablecards?

developed in house yes but those developers still need to get paid. and those endless bug fixes....yup money goes to those same developers that fix 1 problem but create another.
jpatton1979
join:2011-08-10
Louisville, KY
Pace 5268AC
Ubiquiti Unifi Security Gateway Pro
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

jpatton1979 to motorola870

to motorola870
said by motorola870:

I wonder if the guide charge is for cablecards?

Nope. CableCARD has it's own charge. For me it's $2/mo. Compared to WMC's guide, I think Navigator and iGuide look completely like garbage. The ONLY thing I miss by using a CC is access to VOD.

AMDUSER
Premium Member
join:2003-05-28
Earth,
ARRIS CM8200
ARRIS SB6183

AMDUSER to Phroz

Premium Member

to Phroz
Click for full size
It looks like the cost of the internet is going up quite a bit.. i pay $34.99 for 15/1 Meg. With what TWC is going to be charging [$57.99 ], I may as well go back to At&t when the contract is up.

I hope they sell off SE WI to Charter... even they are cheaper.
The $29.99 on Charters website is for 30 Meg...
»www.charter.com/browse/b ··· ome_hero
AMDUSER

AMDUSER to Phroz

Premium Member

to Phroz
That basically matches what TWC Milwaukee sent to customers. The notice showed up in the bill for next month..

If TWC thinks 15 Meg [stand alone] is worth $57.99 - I don't have any problems with switching back to At&t. [Based on a quick check of At&t website, I can get up to 18 Meg. Nice, that means they did work in the area.]
Phroz
Lewiston, ME

Phroz

Click for full size
I'm confused. Did the rates go up a second time already?

Boxes just went from 8.49 to 9.75 this month

I received an email with an offer to upgrade to a triple play package, so I click through out of curiosity and see this. They're out of their minds.

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium Member
join:2000-11-09
14225-2105
ARRIS ONT1000GJ4
EnGenius EAP1250

rchandra to Rick4769

Premium Member

to Rick4769
y'know...that's something I'll never quite understand....how can you get that? Your profile indicates you're in Buffalo, NY (which, AFAIK, no FiOS is available in Buffalo, but let's just say you just said "close enough" and you're really somewhere in this area such as Kenmore or Orchard Park or whatnot) and you can get video. I have a few friends who are in FiOS areas too, and they too can and do get video. I'm in Cheektowaga, been here for a little over 5 years, and all I have able to get the whole time is Internet and digital phone. Why is video not available? The most recent offer I saw in the USPS mail was some sort of DirecTV tie-in/discount. It seems like insanity. It's not like the tech for video is not deployed to other parts of this area.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

"I'm in Cheektowaga, been here for a little over 5 years, and all I have able to get the whole time is Internet and digital phone. Why is video not available?"

Probably a question better asked in a Verizon Forum.

Hob

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612 to rchandra

MVM

to rchandra
said by rchandra:

Why is video not available? The most recent offer I saw in the USPS mail was some sort of DirecTV tie-in/discount. It seems like insanity. It's not like the tech for video is not deployed to other parts of this area.

Likely has something to do with your town lacking an agreement to deliver video. Franchise agreements are a part of the reason as to why I don't have FiOS in my town, yet the CO is serving FiOS to others. Verizon wants to deploy TV service along with the rest of the Fiber services. I don't even want FiOS for the TV service, rather for the Internet.