uniqs
share rss forum feed

FutureOwner

@comcast.net

[Plumbing] Move a Bathroom

Click for full size
downloadHouse_Plan.pdf 172,553 bytes
Hello all,

I am a Home owner on making ... meaning we are trying to buy our first home.
We got a home in a very nice locality at a very attractive price however , the problem is the home is completely ill planned. Someone just continued to add rooms without any thought.

To give a picture --
As you enter , you have stairs for upstairs (making an in-law unit upstairs). There is a door on the left which opens to a living room , followed by family room . From family room as you go right through a passage , you will get another room on right and at end of the passage there is Kitchen.
The biggest problem is , the bathroom is after the Kitchen .

Same up-stairs.

I am wondering if anyone has experience remodelling such ill planned homes . I am particularly interested to move the bathroom out of kitchen for first floor and remove the Second floor kitchen ( just throw out and shut the water and gas ... the room can be used as a bedroom or office). Also change the stairs so that it lands in the living room. Attached a plan of the house and what I plan to do.

If anyone has any rough cost estimate (work to be done by contractor) it will be very helpful.

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-15
none
10's of thousands of dollars, my advice is either pass on that house for something that fits you better or get estimates before you buy it so you know how much you will be shelling out.
--
Lack of Preparation on YOUR Part does NOT Constitute an Emergency on Mine!

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1
reply to FutureOwner
Could you do a small addition to increase the size of the current bath. Move the toilet and tub into the new area accessible off of what is the bedroom you are wanting to move the bath to? Moving it like you are considering will require work on the lower level if it is doable at all. This will add cost. If you could add on and just move the current pipes a few feet I think it could be more cost effective. Regarding the stairs, it is hard to tell from what you have posted but there are very specific code requirements for stairs. Impossible to tell if there is room from what is posted but from what I see I doubt it.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2
reply to FutureOwner
said by FutureOwner :

...the problem is the home is completely ill planned. Someone just continued to add rooms without any thought.

That part is enough to tell me to walk away...

It's in a nice area for a "very attractive price" ? How long has it been on the market ?

Phillip
I Need A Nap

join:2004-12-21
Hatboro, PA
reply to FutureOwner
What you have there is a 1 or a 2 apartment house by the layout. I would check to see if it is still zoned as such, and if it is, I would live with the layout and rent the upstairs out.

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY
reply to FutureOwner
What you are talking about doing is certainly not an easy or cheap project but very doable. One thing I would consider would be when you take out the 2nd kitchen leave that room large enough for a tub or shower, it would make that floor much more usable.

Unless you're getting the house for a real bargain it's probably not worth it.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
reply to FutureOwner
A plain bathroom rebuild from scratch is going to cost ~10k$ without going fancy.

Getting the pipes to go where you need them to go might be more difficult depending on exactly how existing plumbing is laid out. The biggest challenge is likely going to be finding out exactly where the most convenient places to tap into that 3" main sewer pipe to hook up your relocated toilet is. If you are lucky, the 3" pipe goes to the basement's ceiling right from the existing downstairs toilet, passes by the kitchen sink where it gets a 2" T-tap and off to the rear bathroom. If you are unlucky, you might need to rip a few walls and chunks of ceiling to put in a whole new pipe for your remodeled bathroom, which could be quite expensive if you have fancy surfaces, trimmings, fixtures, etc. getting in the way.

And if you do not want flushing to cause your sinks and other fixtures to burp, you also need to include sewer vent pipes to prevent pressure/vacuum buildup as air gets displaced by water. Those usually vent through the roof so putting them in may require further wall/ceiling ripping on 2F. If you are lucky, the existing kitchen sinks' plumbing already has a vent pipe near it which you can reuse by tapping into them.

So, how much relocating pipes is going to cost depends almost entirely on how existing pipes are routed. If you are lucky, only a few hundred dollars. If you are unlucky, you might need to break the foundation around the basement's toilet to tap off its pipe and redo the downstairs bathroom's floor which will add a few thousand dollars on top of the wall/ceiling ripping.

kherr
Premium
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL
Regardless it will need proper venting unless he isn't pulling permits. Then you'd be a fool not to ...

pandora
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Outland
kudos:2
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..
reply to FutureOwner
I recently added a largish addition to my home, which included a new bathroom, 2nd kitchen, and modifications of an old bathroom, plus addition of several sinks and drainage (accommodating washer, dishwasher, and what not).

Bathrooms are probably the hardest rooms to move around, harder than most kitchens as there is a lot of plumbing, ventilation, and electrical specifically run for them. Unless you plan to open several interior and exterior walls, on several floors to accommodate rerouting plumbing, ventilation and electric, you may wish to look elsewhere for your dream house.

Moving a drain far enough from the outgoing septic for example can require digging an exterior tie in, or having unsightly (and potentially noisy) plumbing moving a large horizontal distance along a wall.

Almost anything is easier than messing around with full bath imo.
--
Congress could mess up a one piece jigsaw puzzle.

stevek1949
We're not in Kansas anymore
Premium
join:2002-11-13
Virginia Beach, VA
reply to FutureOwner
Once you start any construction, and the permits are issued, you may be in violation of the fire code if the basement bedroom does not have an adequate egress window.

My two cents if you move the bath, open the wall between the now first floor bath and the kitchen to enlarge it. Put the bath in the hall side of the new room, make a pantry out of the back with a door to the kitchen.

Combine the first floor den and living room by taking out the wall. Combine the first floor bedroom with the 8X8 room and open a door in the 8X8 to make a flow to the kitchen area. Keep the stairs where they are.

On the second floor, take out the kitchen and make it a bathroom. You can have three bedrooms on the second floor. Put in a door to the right and a deck outside.

Lower Level, keep as is unless you have to modify the bedroom window. I am confused if it is a three story, or a two story with a basement.

Of course, bring out your checkbook for massive amounts of money!

The E
Please allow me to retort
Premium
join:2002-05-26
Burnaby, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to FutureOwner
There's quite a few potential pit-falls as others have mentioned. Being that a contractor will be doing this work, it could be a hefty bill depending on what they find.

You didn't mention the age of the home... here are some possible hazards/money eaters:
-asbestos on pipes, tiles, walls or HVAC. Abatement is not cheap.
-Lead paint; abatement costs
-Shoddy addition construction. Once the contractor opens up floors and walls, he may have to correct issues found.
-Latent issues; upon opening up walls, ceilings you may discover existing plumbing, electrical, or structural issues.

Renovating a home can be a really fun and rewarding experience, but it almost never goes off without problems and stress. And those add up to extra dollars.

Best of luck!
--
"All opinions stated by me are solely my views and do not reflect the views of my employer, this site, or even myself depending on my level of sanity at the moment"

FutureOwner

@comcast.net
Thank you everybody. This is a really helpful forum.

Based on all the feedback, we finally decided to skip this home